Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

17 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Willie from ALF is in this. I don't know how many of you will know what that means, but he is!

HA!!  Some of us do.  😄   (He's also great in the '99 Kevin Kline/Michelle Pfeiffer "Midsummer Night's Dream".)

BTW, your on-a-Hammer-roll review on Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter last month got me to bump it up on my Amazon Prime list over the weekend:  I ended up focusing not so much on the studio or the genre (it's not a true Hammer if Peter Cushing isn't in it), as on writer-director Brian Clemens, a name I only knew as one of the head writers on the old Patrick Macnee/Diana Rigg Avengers '67 series.  Every time I see his name on an outside credit like "Golden Voyage of Sinbad", I always end up judging the movie on the level of an Avengers episode, and with Clemens on the direction, Kronos plays EXACTLY like one.  A bit less of the witty banter, but the same mix of tight scenes and red-herring nasties, and Horst Janson as Kronos has the right mix of Mr. Steed dashery, with his cross-sword standing in for the umbrella.

captain-kronos-5.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

BTW, your on-a-Hammer-roll review on Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter last month got me to bump it up on my Amazon Prime list over the weekend... (it's not a true Hammer if Peter Cushing isn't in it),

See the source image

On 9/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, rosebette said:

I watched Olivia (1950last night, and I was fascinated.   I never thought a film in which there is no overt "action" could be so compelling as the complex relationships between the teachers and students in this film unraveled.  Apparently this film was heavily censored in the U.S. because it is clearly about lesbian and queer relationships.   The performances, from the actresses who played the leads, Miss Julie and Olivia, down to the cook, Victoire, and the math teachers.  Simone Simone has a great part as a petulant and demanding hypochondriac.

On 9/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, kingrat said:

I loved the very fluid camerawork in this film. A little knowledge of French literature helps with some of the scenes, as the students have written essays about the characters in Corneille's Le Cid and Racine's Andromaque.

hqdefault.jpg

I was able to finish watching this this morning.

Am I alone in thinking that the ending felt somehow incomplete? When the camera pulled back to the long shot of the carriage and le musique hit the crescendo, I was like "wait...no..." and then the FIN came out of the woods and I was sort of like, "well damn."

And that's not to say I did not like it- I did.

It was exquisite and really, really WATCHABLE (I have some attention deficit issues, so i am not always a good fit for foreign films.)

Man, between this movie PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (available now on TCM on demand), SUSPIRIA, CREEPERS, THESE THREE, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR, all 37 versions of JANE EYRE and BRIDES OF DRACULA- i just cannot help but to associate ALL GIRL'S SCHOOLS with some dark stuff.

it was also nice to see a FRENCH FILM on TCM whose print was not UN TRAVISTE, this was really lovely to look at. 

all the actresses were great. I have to say, my favorite character was the one who looked like GARBO'S MAID in GRAND HOTEL and who really wasn't into all the scandalous lesbian late night shenanigans and headgames and was just happy as a clam that she was working in a joint that fed her three times a day and then some.

seriously though. DOROTHY'S line from THE GOLDEN GIRLS- "WHAT THE HELL GOES ON IN THIS HOUSE AT NIGHT???!!" ran through my mind numerous times in watching this.

The film really should have been called MADEMOISELLE JULIE and not OLIVIA. she is the HBiC no DOUBT.

(I apologize for all my bad French.)

CFZRE86gVlAambIyinnbVGGDdDMQax7NZIbyrmG_

I single out SIMONE SIMON because I did not think there was ENOUGH OF HER in this film. she was electricity itself.

also

[spoiler]

or is it [le spoiler] ?

I felt as if her character's sudden offscreen death didn't do her justice. The same way as SIMONE SIGNORET in ROOM AT THE TOP...speaking of, while the actress in the role of MISS JULE was great, CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW AWESOME SIMON SIGNORET would have been?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago, I bought one of those big coffee table BOOKS ON  THE GOLDEN AGE OF FILM that contained a lot of different photos and i remember this one took up a full page and a half-

5b0c7a41f87e7edc552b5deeecb6e9d2--lorett

You maybe can't tell in this picture, but that is LORETTA YOUNG and- in the picture in the book- you could CLEARLY SEE her leg was UNSHAVEN!

[CLUTCHES PEARLS]

The image is from a FOX FILM called ZOO IN BUDAPEST that came out in 1933. someone mentioned it in the forum recently and i figured i'd check online for it (i has assumed it was maybe, like THE WHITE PARADE lost forever, FASCINATED by the title, and the above picture, I have wanted to see it for years now but been unable to locate it)

And lo and behold, I found it online.

And lo and behold IT suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!

Funny thing is though, there is something very charming about the premise (oh what LUBITSCH could ahve done with it!)- an orphan boy who lives in the BUDAPEST ZOO meets and falls in love with an orphan girl hiding out there; and there is a really good bit about how he steals fur stoles from female patrons and buries them because- the  animals being his only family- he does not approve of anyone wearing their  skin.

unfortunately, said boy is played (badly) by GENE RAYMOND who looks 38 and the aforementioned LORETTA YOUNG (who was 20 at the time, but looks 38 too- but it IS a HOT 38.)

EDIT- Loretta pretty much managed to be 38 from the years 1930-1960.

Some unusual outdoor photography and landscaping, but some clumsy rear projection scenes and the fact that the script is **** really kinda lead balloon this one.

WOOF!

PS- This is the rare occasion where I would like to take the time to THANK TCM for NOT DEVOTING the time and resources to acquiring a rare classic. this one can stay in its can in the salt mines and on youtube.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Y'know, I saw some vehicles used in THE PRIZE I've seen used in other movies.  Like the ruckus Newman's character create at that nudist seminar, which resulted in the police being called, AND Newman's Craig saying"why do you think I called for you guys?"  reminiscent of NORTH BY NORTHWEST and Cary Grant's  disturbance at the auction.  Of course, I found out after the movie that ERNEST LEHMAN worked on both screenplays, so it explained a lot. 

First time seeing it for me too.  Liked it pretty much.

Sepiatone

I watched A Hidden Life (2019) last night, about Franz Jurgenstatter, a rural Catholic who chooses to refuse to take the Nazi oath of allegiance, for which he and his family eventually suffer -- he is actually recognized as a Catholic martyr.   It's beautifully directed by Terence Malick, and the natural landscapes of Franz's rural surroundings are magnificent.  While this film depicts someone informed by a deep faith, it is never preachy or artificial.  By the way, the institutional church does not come off as especially sympathetic in the story.   

I found this film haunting and unsettling (perhaps due to our current political environment), but also profoundly inspiring.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Man, between this movie PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (available now on TCM on demand), SUSPIRIA, CREEPERS, THESE THREE, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR, all 37 versions of JANE EYRE and BRIDES OF DRACULA- i just cannot help but to associate ALL GIRL'S SCHOOLS with some dark stuff.

Haven't seen Clint Eastwood in The Beguiled (1971), yet, huh?  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i just cannot help but to associate ALL GIRL'S SCHOOLS with some dark stuff.

You have to see William Castle's Thirteen Frightened Girls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have never even heard of either one!

!

(once the 60's start, there are some holes in my viewing/title familiarity)

The Beguiled was actually made twice, once in 1971 like Eric mentioned, with Clint, Geraldine Page, and Elizabeth Hartman, directed by Don Siegel, and again in 2017 with Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, and Kirsten Dunst, directed by Sophia Coppola. It's not only evil in a girl school, but drenched in lustful passions (all the women that are of age long for the only man in the area), with a heaping helping of Southern gothic. The 1971 version plays it hot and heavy brimming over with hysteria; the 2017 version plays it cool and cerebral, with quiet malice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- also SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, albeit a TV FILM

I always liked that film, in part, because I had a thing for Pamela Franklin in my early teens.  Another TV movie from that era was "Possessed", starring Joan Hackett and James Franciscus; it had a great scene near the end of the film.  The makeup crew did an exceptional job of making Joan Hackett look as creepy as all get-out in that scene.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- also SATAN'S SCHOOL FOR GIRLS, albeit a TV FILM

Sounds like a Spiñal Tap song.

12 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

(all the women that are of age long for the only man in the area)

Let's hope he's a bit more masculine than David Farrar was for those poor nuns to fantasize about-

black-narcissus-mr-dean.png?w=604

poor teeny pony!

mr-dean-on-pony.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

purple-noon-boat.jpg?w=662&h=397

I am in the middle of- but not done with watching PURPLE NOON, which is a FRENCH version of THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY that was filmed in 1960- AND YET- the photography is SO PRISTINE that I actually re-checked that date because there are A LOT of shots in this movie that are SO CLEAR and SO WELL-LIT and SO IN FOCUS that you could swear this was made recently.  The way it is shot reminds me of JULIET OF THE SPIRITS- just ahead of its time.

I did not realize that this film would be so BOATCENTRIC, but really, everyone involved should be commended (I would have liked to have seen this director's version of JAWS!) The sound and editing in the murder scene was outstanding, and made for some compelling cinema.

YOU MIGHT NEED SOME DRAMAMINE to watch this. Often times I say that as a disparaging remark (ie HUSBANDS AND WIVES), but in this case it's just a friendly suggestion from someone who gets motion sickness easy.

i apologize for posting a partial review when i have not finished the movie, but i am antsy today and needed to get out of the house.

also also, those of you who read my reviews by now know that I am a real crank, next-to-impossible to please with ridiculously high standards and a penchant for going for the throat with my criticism at times AND YET I am AN ABSOLUTE SUCKER for a HANDSOME FACE. Like, you could be giving me the worst HAMLET ever, but if you're, oh let's just say, the star of  this movie ALAIN DELON:

tumblr_mths6yCevc1rovkb3o1_500.png

AND YOU LOOK LIKE THE SUCCESSFUL HYBRIDIZATION OF ALBERT FINNEY AND ROBERT WAGNER, THEN I WILL BE SOBBING FOR CURTAIN CALLS AND DOING THE CHARLES FOSTER KANE SOLO CLAP AS EVERYONE ELSE IN THE AUDIENCE MAKES FOR THE EXITS.

That said,

ALAIN DELON IS [LEGITIMATELY] INCREDIBLE IN THIS FILM.

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Last night, we rewatched You've Got Mail (Shop Around the Corner).  It's cute, although, sometimes, Meg Ryan can be a mixture of cloying and annoying.

I've heard she's a DEMON SHREW in real life.

The Old Man Who Cried Wolf (1970)

A 70 year old man, while visiting an old friend in his pawn shop, witnesses a stranger beat his friend with a rubber hose and then himself. When he comes to his friend is dead but a witness insists she saw his friend suffer a heart attack and police dismiss his story of his friend being murdered.

A paranoia inducing TV movie with a gritty street feel, it deals with the helplessness of a senior citizen who is believed by no one, including loving family members who want him to receive psychological help. Meanwhile the stranger suddenly appears again and makes a deadly throat slitting gesture towards the old man. He is the only one to see the stranger, though.

Engrossing drama, with a superlative performance by Edward G. Robinson in one of his final roles as the senior citizen, with fine support by Martin Balsam as his concerned son. Ed Asner, in the same year in which he would gain TV immortality as Lou Grant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, is effective as a psychiatrist, while Percy Rodrigues is cold bloodedly chilling as the stranger. Diane Baker appears as Balsam's wife, along with Ruth Roman as a hooker whose heart is not made of gold and Sam Jaffe as Robinson's murdered friend.

Adding to this ABC Movie of the Week's gritty feel is some effective on location shooting on run down metropolitan streets. But it's Robinson's anguished, fearful portrayal that remains the centre piece of a film which eventually leads to a stark, uncompromising ending. There are currently copies of this TV drama available on You Tube.

original_oldmanwhocriedwolf8.jpg

3 out of 4

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Sounds like a Spiñal Tap song.

Let's hope he's a bit more masculine than David Farrar was for those poor nuns to fantasize about-

black-narcissus-mr-dean.png?w=604

poor teeny pony!

mr-dean-on-pony.jpg

Well Tiki, you know Sister Ruth had a 'thang' for him in "Black Narcissus".  Of course, she was a little on the twisted side.  Come to think of it, maybe that's how the group Twisted Sister  got their name...hmmmm?

• Haha 1

The only things I know about Meg Ryan are 1) bad plastic surgery, 2) last I heard was with John M. and 3) her and Dennis Quaid's son is either in a new movie or TV show.

Last night, before You've Got Mail, TCM had on Crossing Delancey (sp?).  I recently saw the film but I didn't mind watching it again (and I remember getting pickles from Gus' pickles on the Lower East Side).  

Tonight we are going On Demand with FXM and we will watch On the Riviera with Danny Kaye and Gene Tierney.  Mom and I both like Danny Kaye.

4 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

The only things I know about Meg Ryan are 1) bad plastic surgery, 2) last I heard was with John M. and 3) her and Dennis Quaid's son is either in a new movie or TV show.

Last night, before You've Got Mail, TCM had on Crossing Delancey (sp?).  I recently saw the film but I didn't mind watching it again (and I remember getting pickles from Gus' pickles on the Lower East Side).  

Tonight we are going On Demand with FXM and we will watch On the Riviera with Danny Kaye and Gene Tierney.  Mom and I both like Danny Kaye.

On the Riviera was a great movie.  It is a remake of That Night in Rio with Don Ameche, Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIS IMAGE IS NOT FROM PURPLE NOON, BUT BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT, HERE IS ALAIN DELON WITH A BEARD.

644721ae493dc64cb578b2dd05c7dc02.jpg

OIP.2Do2xyXYdT0jZIOWEQfMHAHaEL?pid=Api&r

It is almost impossible to praise Alain Delon's looks too highly. In the first picture above he looks like the more handsome brother of Alan Bates. The direction and cinematography of Purple Noon are on a par with Delon's looks.

10 hours ago, kingrat said:

The direction and cinematography of Purple Noon are on a par with Delon's looks.

This is quite true. Many times in the 60's and 70's, one of the five BEST DIRECTOR slots went to a FOREIGN FILM DIRECTOR whose style was UNDENIABLE (ANTONIONI or THE WOMAN IN THE DUNES dude)- I really wish they had nominated the director of this film in either 1960 or 1961 (the Academy rules about foreign film nominations were weird, I don't know if the rule was still in effect that they be nominated in most categories the year after they came out save best director or not.) Not just the murder scene, but also the scene where DICKIE GREENLEAF tricks RIPLEY into getting into the rowboat which is being towed by the fast-moving sailboat were just SOME MASTERFULLY DONE FILMMAKING THAT TRANSCENDED LANGUAGE.

I saw THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY in the theater in 1998 and have not seen it again, still i remember much about it- and i don't recall the towing of the dinghy scene in that film. in a way, it was a FANTASTIC METAPHOR for the relationship between RIPLEY and GREENLEAF.

I also meant to mention that this film contains what amounts to the FIRST ONSCREEN THREESOME THAT I CAN THINK OF, with both male protagonist simultaneously making out with THE WORLD'S LUCKIEST WOMAN in a carriage.

I finished it yesterday and I REALLY, REALLY liked the ending a lot, all the more so since I read that PATRICIA HIGHSMITH did not (but she was surprisingly okay with the rest of it though.) I've read two of her books, neither was THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY- and did not care for either, her style is oppressive and heavy.

screen_purple_noon050.jpg

• Like 1