Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I like Bette Midler in several movies.  I like her in First Wives Club and the one where she is kidnapped.  She is also good in the one where she and Lily Tomlin have twins.  For drama, she did her best Joplin in The Rose.  Beaches was also good.  Like many actors, too many good roles to choose from.  She should have avoid bad remakes like The Women (which is a period piece).

Come on everyone knows the best Bette Midler movie is this one.   

Of course I told my wife if another couple plays the song Wind  Beneath my Wings at their wedding,,,,  well,,,, I'm going to strangle the bride!

Amazon.com: Beaches (Special Edition): Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey, John  Heard, Spalding Gray, Lainie Kazan, James Read, Grace Johnston, Mayim  Bialik, Marcie Leeds, Carol Williard, Allan Kent, Phil Leeds, Lynda  Goodfriend, Nikki Plant,

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

aka- RUTHLESS PEOPLE (1986?)

aka- one funnyassed movie.

Yes, 1986. One of Disney's first R rated films. I'll never forget sections of it like her k-mart line, or dunderhead Bill Pullman thinking that a liaison between a judge and a prostitute was actually a murder.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I think that Midler's best hour on screen actingwise was probably For the Boys. True she was saddled with lizardy old-age makeup, but it gave her a chance to play to all her strengths: risque comedy, singing, and wrenching emotional passages.

It's too bad the script wasn't better. She deserved her nomination for that. (and that make up was AWFUL!)

23 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, 1986. One of Disney's first R rated films. I'll never forget sections of it like her k-mart line, or dunderhead Bill Pullman thinking that a liaison between a judge and a prostitute was actually a murder.

They milked that joke for all it was worth!!!! I still laugh thinking about that......

The Underworld Story (1950)

I recorded this Noir Alley offering a while ago (whenever it aired) and I just watched it a few days ago.  I really enjoyed it.  Although, I'm always down for a newspaper movie. Anyway, in The Underworld Story, Dan Duryea stars as Mike Reese, a newspaper reporter for the local big city newspaper.   At the beginning of the film, Mike is fired from his position for publishing a story about local ganglord, Carl Durham (Howard DeSilva).  The story results in the murder of the state's star witness who presumably was the key to indicting the ganglord.  Mike is essentially blackballed from working for any newspaper in town, as he's too much of a liability.  Seeing an ad looking for a partner to invest in a small town newspaper, Mike borrows money from the ganglord (the very same one who shot the star witness).  He then travels to the town of Lakeville.  The state isn't given, but "New England" is mentioned in the film.  Upon arriving at the Lakeville Sentinel newspaper offices, Mike charms the owner, Catharine Harris (Gale Storm) into accepting his bid and allowing him to become Editor and part owner.  Immediately, Mike and Catharine have differences as to how the newspaper should be run and how they should obtain their news.  

A hot news story basically falls into the Sentinel's lap when a young man (maybe a newsboy? Or a local teenager, not sure) runs into the office yelling that Diane Stanton has been found dead, victim of homicide. Diane was Cathy's friend and the daughter-in-law of EJ Stanton (Herbert Marshall), the publisher of the large city newspaper that used to employ Mike. Circumstantial evidence points to the culprit being Diane's black maid and friend, Molly Rankin (Mary Anderson).  Cathy wants to approach the story as a human interest story and to clear Molly's name; whereas Mike wants to exploit every inch of this story so that he and the Sentinel can profit from the media frenzy.  

However, EJ Stanton is harboring a secret that would solve the crime.  Mike's scheme is further complicated when the District Attorney, Munsey (Michael O'Shea) and Durham become involved.

I loved this movie.  Duryea actually wasn't a villain in this film, though his character definitely wasn't a good guy.  However, he looks good in this film compared to Herbert Marshall's son Clark Stanton, and Carl Durham.  One big problem with this film was the casting of Mary Anderson as the "black" Molly.  Her casting was very reminiscent of Jeanne Crain in Pinky.  Anderson was fine as Molly, but was definitely miscast. I also like Gale Storm.  It was fun seeing a young Alan "The Skipper" Hale Jr. as one of Durham's henchmen.

• Like 2

Parrish (1961)

I do love me a good melodrama, especially a teen melodrama, and especially a 1950s-1960s teen melodrama. Parrish did not disappoint.  Even though Troy Donahue is wooden and not that good an actor, there's something about him that draws me to his films.  I cannot explain it.

In this film, Donahue plays the titular character, Parrish McLean, a young man (at least 18-19 years old, post-high school) who moves to a Connecticut tobacco farm (north of Hartford) from Boston with his mother, Ellen (Claudette Colbert).  It seems that Ellen has been hired by Sala Post (Dean Jagger) to assist his rebellious daughter, Alison (Diane McBain), with her "coming out" e.g. debut as a young adult woman.  It seems that Alison is rebellious and promiscuous and basically conducts herself in a manner unbecoming of a young, upper class lady of good breeding.  Somehow Ellen is supposed to use her maturity and class as a means to guide Alison and be a good influence.  Alison, as one can imagine, doesn't really take Ellen seriously, but is seemingly cordial and polite with her. 

Upon arrival at the Post estate, Ellen and Parrish learn that Parrish is not invited to live at the home with Ellen and the Post family.  It is obvious that Mr. Post does not want a handsome young man, like Parrish, anywhere near his daughter.  She and Parrish are close in age (if not the same age) and obviously it is thought that the temptation between the two might be too great.  Parrish, understandably upset, drives off to let off some steam.  He comes across Sala's thriving tobacco farm and meets some of the employees tending to the crops.  It is there where Parrish learns that tobacco is a major industry in this town and ends up getting a job working on the farm.  Also working on the farm is a young woman, Lucy (Connie Stevens), whose entire family also works on the farm.  They invite Parrish to live with them in their ramshackle farm house. So now Parrish has a job and a place to live.  

Lucy is scandalous from the get-go.  She brings Parrish to the tobacco room where they dry the leaves and tells him that she sometimes sleeps in there.  Then, she tells him if it's particularly hot, she'll even sleep in the raw, in the tobacco house.  "Sleep in the raw" is all Parrish needs to hear for him to be a little hot and bothered, but then Lucy bails, telling him she has a date with another man.  However, this apparently does not dissuade Parrish, and he and Lucy continue seeing one another.  It's obvious that Lucy is a bit of a floozy. She does not have a good reputation with the upper crust. There is another scene where Lucy helps Parrish treat his tobacco poisoning (looks like poison oak) with Calamine lotion.  They have a very sensual Calamine lotion application session, with Lucy promising to rub some lotion on him whenever he needs it. Then, Alison sets her sights on Parrish and they too, start seeing one another.  Now Parrish is in a love triangle. 

Meanwhile, Ellen finds herself charmed by Judd Raike (Karl Malden), the huge tobacco tycoon who owns a majority of the tobacco fields in the area and is ruthless in his goal to monopolize the tobacco industry in their town.  He is very skilled in turning on and off the charm.  He also pushes his own sons very hard to follow in his footsteps and learn the ropes of running their empire, but both sons are such snobs and buffoons that they are worthless. Judd finds himself falling for Ellen and he proposes marriage.  Ellen agrees to the marriage because of the wealth and opportunity that Judd could provide.  At one point, Parrish is working for Judd in an impossible position.  Parrish is expected to know everything about the company on day #1 and to ask all the right questions and report the information back to Judd.  He is constantly belittled and yelled at for not asking the questions that he didn't realize he needed to ask.  Parrish goes all-in for Judd, trying to appease him and at one point, I thought they'd turned a corner, and that Judd maybe wasn't that bad after all.

This film has a lot going on and all the drama I could want.  It has everything: love triangle, infidelity, out of wedlock pregnancy, allusions to sex, loud arguments, arson, everything one could want.  Plus this film has EVERYONE in it.  Aside from Troy Donahue, Claudette Colbert and Karl Malden, there are so many recognizable faces in this film: Clara--Aunt Bee's friend with the 12 blue ribbon-winning pickles; Sally Field's Reverend Mother from The Flying Nun; Dr. Bellows; and the general from White Christmas. 

Prior to this film, I knew absolutely nothing about the tobacco industry.  Not being a smoker, I had no idea what process was used to produce the tobacco for cigars.  It was very interesting. I know that the movie industry may have embellished some facts, but it seemed pretty realistic. 

I really enjoyed this film, but I also enjoy overwrought, absurd melodrama, so that's probably why.  This film was made by the same director as A Summer Place.  I'm fairly certain I heard the famous theme song at some point.  It is from this film that I also learned about "Boatels." 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I realize that in my review yesterday of THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD (1935)- I neglected to mention actress ZEFFIE TILBURY as THE OPIUM WOMAN, who (snipped) faces the camera and  MOUTHS THE WORD "SH!T!" in frustration 

This is one of the fun bonuses of attending silent film festivals-that happens often and the audience will erupt in laughter at an inopportune moment, like a tense fight scene or death.

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the gravedigger DURDLES

Wish I had been named by a Hollywood screenwriter. Although "Drood" is also pretty out there.

Re PARRISH:

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

This film has a lot going on and all the drama I could want.  It has everything: love triangle, infidelity, out of wedlock pregnancy, allusions to sex, loud arguments, arson, everything one could want. 

The only element I would want is angry mobs with torches. Are there any?

Wonderful synopsis of PARRISH, speedy. I had no idea it was so sordid. Sounds like PICNIC on hormones. Sadly, the only thing left of Connecticut Tobacco Farms is the stray standing "drying" barn. Most have been dismantled for interior use in chi-chi McMansions. Just another lucrative US industry literally gone south because of low cost/low wages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Parrish (1961)

Prior to this film, I knew absolutely nothing about the tobacco industry.  Not being a smoker, I had no idea what process was used to produce the tobacco for cigars.  It was very interesting. I know that the movie industry may have embellished some facts, but it seemed pretty realistic. 

I'm from NORTH CAROLINA and have extensive knowledge of ornamental plants and trees, but I don't know a whole whole lot about agriculture- that was the one part of PARRISH that I found to be outright fascinating; in fact I used some of the information in a project i WAS WORKING ON at the time (new keyboard, weird caps lock.)

It's mostly a really stupid movie with some outright helpful insight into the process of growing TOBACCO (which- indeed- does have a very velvetty leaf and is quite susceptible to mold, especially in cold weather; they're 100% on the money with that.)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Of course I told my wife if another couple plays the song Wind  Beneath my Wings at their wedding

Request U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Me too!

mooore....moooore!”

(Screaming, moaning)

”OH GOD, HE’S KILLING HER!!!”

ROFL!!! Those scenes with Anita Morris are hilarious too (trying to blackmail with that "murder" tape).....

• Like 1

I just watched The Long Voyage Home

It was mentioned in the commentary prior to starting the movie that the cameraman, Gregg Toland, implemented deep focus in this movie. One of Toland's claims to fame is his camera work in Citizen Kane. Apparently, this deep focus technique was used here prior to Citizen Kane and you can tell. I knew there was something different about how this movie looked, but I couldn't put my finger on it until I got this explanation. Besides John Ford's clausterphobic look in many scenes, this movie is shot with very sharp focus and excellent lighting throughout. I got really drawn into the story by the way the movie "feels" visually.

Of course, I can't close without mentioning John Ford's running gag of always shooting Ward Bond's rear end in close up. He did it again in this movie and I think it is quite funny how  Ford can continue this humorous tradition without it marring the film itself.

Lastly, John Ford shared the screen in the beginning credits with Toland. It is rare that the director's name isn't shown all by itself on the screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night, I watched (fell asleep during) what sounded like it might be funny and I liked some of the cast.  It was called Smokin Aces.  Now, it gets a good rating on IMDB but, if I want a funny gangster/Mafia film,  there is one or two with Edward G. Robinson and, I think, Michael Keaton in Johnny Dangerous(ly?)?, and The Whole Nine Yards was pretty funny.  Smokin Aces was too dark and grainy (literally), too graphic, and, after the bodies and actors kept falling, bored me.  Don't know what I will watch tonight.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Not to mention, the phrase "A Ruthless People moment" has now entered our vocabulary.

I watched THE MUMMY'S GHOST (1944).

tumblr_ox9x01dfUk1spnykgo1_500.jpg

Please enjoy this photograph of LON CHANEY JR's tightly-wrapped BATCH. I had to see it, now you do too.

While I am a fan of UNIVERSAL HORROR i have always felt a large degree of apathy in re: THE MUMMY sequels (to be honest with you, while it has some stuff that works really well, the 1933 original is not one of my favorites either.) I have to admit though that there is something increasingly GLEEFUL about their STUPIDITY, ie, over time the MUMMY ends up in NEW ORLEANS and finally, I think, LOUISVILLE, KY (I am 100% serious. and I can only hope he finds the time to give RAND PAUL a second pummeling, because RAND PAUL is just the type of idiot to stand still long enough to let the Mummy catch him. )

I have said this many times, but if THE MUMMY caught you, YOU DESERVED TO DIE. Call it a heartless take, BUT LIONEL BARRYMORE could outrun the ****ing Mummy. it is also worth noting that in an ODD NOD TO CONTINUITY IN THE SERIES, THE MUMMY in this go-round has lost the use of the left side of his body, so he is SHUFFLING ABOUT EVEN MORE SLOWLY AND WITH ONLY ONE ARM THAT WORKS. things LITERALLY veer into "one-legged man in an ***-kicking competition" by the end.

A couple of stunts go visibly wrong in this.

JOHN CARRADINE is in this. As an EGYPTIAN. He is wearing a lot of bronzer and it looks pretty good.

Honestly, the HERO of this movie is 100% PEANUTS THE DOG- whose name ABSOLUTELY SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING ELSE THE SEVERAL DOZEN TIMES IT IS CALLED OUT IN THIS MOVIE. PEANUTS takes NO CRAP from THE MUMMY and I really wish he and FRIDAY from EYES IN THE NIGHT had teamed up to fight supernatural crime.

mg55.jpg she can hold my PEANUTS any day! (sorry, it was too easy) Also not even true

i'd be lying if I said I was not amused by this movie.

[spoiler]

the heroine in this movie is quite attractive, and dons a nightgown in many scenes that leaves little to the imagination. she also dies at the end, rather oddly too, which is one thing that does make this movie stand out at least to some degree.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not just watched but a backlog of reviews added to Recently Watched Noir in the  Film Noir and Gangster pages to catch up at least to the end of August 😉

Thegirlinblackstockings.jpg

passport-to-shame.jpg

Poster%2Bcrop.jpg

Poster.jpg

it-always-rains-on-sunday-british-movie-poster.jpg

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Not just watched but a backlog of reviews added to Recently Watched Noir in the  Film Noir and Gangster pages to catch up at least to the end of August 😉

passport-to-shame.jpg

Poster%2Bcrop.jpg

Poster.jpg

I REALLY liked IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY the last time it aired on TCM. They don’t come any MORE BRITISH than this one. 
RON RANDELL- Who was apparently an Australian actor although I get no hint of an accent- is outstanding in THE GIRL IN BLACK STOCKINGS. I wish she had done more movies, and better ones. I think I’ve seen him in a couple of things, but the only other film of his that I recall is (the lousy) THE SHE CREATURE.

passport-to-shame.jpg

Poster%2Bcrop.jpg

Poster.jpg

I REALLY liked IT ALWAYS RAINS ON SUNDAY the last time it aired on TCM. They don’t come any MORE BRITISH than this one. 
RON RANDELL- Who was apparently an Australian actor although I get no hint of an accent- is outstanding in THE GIRL IN BLACK STOCKINGS. I wish she had done more movies, and better ones. I think I’ve seen him in a couple of things, but the only other film of his that I recall is (the lousy) THE SHE CREATURE.

passport-to-shame.jpg

Poster%2Bcrop.jpg

Poster.jpg

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

What's up with the three posts? buffering issues is what usually does it for me. 😉

• Thanks 1
Just now, cigarjoe said:

What's up with the three posts? buffering issues is what usually does it for me. 😉

****, I didn’t notice. My phone ain’t actin right. Oh well, RON RANDELL deserves the extra mentions.