Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

34 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Looks like traditional Brit panto to me...

and apparently I am descended almost 100% from Brit/Scottish stock, so I guess this is the "language of my people," but, I don't know, it doesn't "speak to me."

trust me- the whole movie is really bad.

and this is coming from someone who genuinely liked PLAN 9 and thinks GLEN OR GLENDA is not bad at all.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

as far as I'm concerned, any WORST MOVIES OF ALL TIME list that doesn't include MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE aka MY SON THE VAMPIRE aka VAMPIRE OVER LONDON is not complete.

uk-poster-adapted-for-us-market1.jpg

I did not enjoy it nearly as much as other installments in the Mother Riley series but I did not feel that it ranks within the top fifty of truly bad movies I have watched. I found it basically flat. Do you ever feel that a cast was having fun when they made a movie? This one gives me the feeling that the cast was desperate and had lost all hope.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

MY SON THE VAMPIRE! 

It was re released in the early 1960s under this title. It was done t0 capitalize on the success of Allen Sherman albums like My Son The Folk Singer. Sherman even made a song called My Son The Vampire and did a promotional trailer for the movie when it was re released. No mention is made of Old Mother Riley or Bela Lugosi (who had died 6 years before).

• Like 1

Last night I watched my TCM recording of VIBES '88 that was listed on the schedule, then disappeared- wasn't sure I had gotten it at all! Glad I did. Cyndi Lauper is a super talent and I like seeing her in just about anything....although this movie was a stretch.

The plot is like seven other movies run through a garbage disposal & reconstituted-it has elements of Raiders Of the Lost Ark (ancient temples/treasure) 1990's Ghost (psychic/paranormal messages) and Romancing The Stone (unlikely couple meet on adventure)  The enjoyment of this vapid excersize is the performances of the two leads & some fun snappy dialogue. 

Jeff Goldblum is adorable and Cyndi of course is great.  I do think Lauper would make a great comedic/dramatic actress if she toned it down a bit (not unlike recently seen Bette Midler) her voice & appearance alone could get the offbeat point across. But being a fan, it was just fun seeing her in a movie, she certainly has a kooky physical humor.

My favorite part was on their trip to South America to find the "treasure", Goldblum had packed 3 suitcases-one with clothing, one with dehydrated food and one with big water jugs. In a nightclub together, Cyndi says contemptibly, "Enjoying your WATER?" and he has one of these on the table with a straw & umbrella coming out the top hole:

316ktK8IdnL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

...and in retort Goldblum dryly states, "Enjoying yourself? I'm surprised you're not drinking from a hose connected directly to the bar". 

Little touches like that made the movie fun for me. I was shocked, shocked to see Lauper's two timing bf was played by a very young skeezy looking Steve Buscemi in one brief scene. Goldblum & Buscemi went on to better written films where they could develop & show their talent. Sadly, I think Cyndi just stayed with her musical performances, only a portion of her talent.

When we lament "they don't make movies like they used to" this proves they do. This movie is the equivalent to 50's schlocky B adventure made for kids. Cute, but not really good.

200px-Cyndi_Lauper_Vibes_Poster.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

It was re released in the early 1960s under this title. It was done t0 capitalize on the success of Allen Sherman albums like My Son The Folk Singer. Sherman even made a song called My Son The Vampire and did a promotional trailer for the movie when it was re released. No mention is made of Old Mother Riley or Bela Lugosi (who had died 6 years before).

yes, when i saw it on TCM, it was under the title MY SON THE VAMPIRE and had an animated title sequence with the SHERMAN SONG, which is a work of EVIL GENIUS on a par with the 1-877-CARS FOR KIDS jingle when it comes to lodging itself PERMANENTLY in your GREY MATTER.

It's the one good thing about the movie and it's not even really actually a part of the movie.

• Like 1

if anyone can make heads or tales of the schedule, lemme know if MY SON THE VAMPIRE/ MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE/ VAMPIRE OVER LONDON [which is actually a great title for something, just not this] IS COMING UP. EDIT- although now that i think about it, it HAS to be PUBLIC DOMAIN, NO ONE would pay to own the rights to this thing. i'll look online for it.

Maybe I'll try to give it another looksee since it apparently has its Stans!

I STILL say it's the WORST movie LUGOSI ever made, although I haven't seen his silents or BLACK DRAGONS or MURDER BY TELEVISION or the time he played MR WONG.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if anyone can make heads or tales of the schedule, lemme know if MY SON THE VAMPIRE/ MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE/ VAMPIRE OVER LONDON [which is actually a great title for something, just not this] IS COMING UP. EDIT- although now that i think about it, it HAS to be PUBLIC DOMAIN, NO ONE would pay to own the rights to this thing. i'll look online for it.

Maybe I'll try to give it another looksee since it apparently has its Stans!

I STILL say it's the WORST movie LUGOSI ever made, although I haven't seen his silents or BLACK DRAGONS or MURDER BY TELEVISION or the time he played MR WONG.

It is available on TubiTV. https://tubitv.com/movies/461447/mother_riley_meets_the_vampire

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buck Privates Poster

Buck Privates (1941) DVD 7/10

Abbott and Costello's first starring film, they are unlicensed sidewalk salesman who run from a cop and end up enlisting for the army.

The first time I saw this from start to finish in many years. I watched a documentary on Youtube about the Andrews Sisters and it made me nostalgic for this one. There is a lot of music in this and Patty, Maxene and LaVerne do some of their best songs. There is the wistful ballad "I'll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time" and the jumping "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". Patty is the youngest and cutest of the trio and shows off her brassy, energetic personality in her solos. As for A&C, they have some of their best routines such as the dice game and hilarious drill routine where Abbott has to drill bumbling Costello who I read has quite a few ab libs during this. The team had perfected their routines after years in vaudeville and radio and they are fast and furious with the verbal gags. Nat Pendleton provides good support as the cop who first chases them and turns out to be their sergeant in the army.  There is some flaws in the boring subplot of playboy Lee Bowman forced into the service due to the draft.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Buck Privates Poster

Buck Privates (1941) DVD 7/10

Abbott and Costello's first starring film, they are unlicensed sidewalk salesman who run from a cop and end up enlisting for the army.

The first time I saw this from start to finish in many years. I watched a documentary on Youtube about the Andrews Sisters and it made me nostalgic for this one. There is a lot of music in this and Patty, Maxene and LaVerne do some of their best songs. There is the wistful ballad "I'll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time" and the jumping "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". Patty is the youngest and cutest of the trio and shows off her brassy, energetic personality in her solos. As for A&C, they have some of their best routines such as the dice game and hilarious drill routine where Abbott has to drill bumbling Costello who I read has quite a few ab libs during this. The team had perfected their routines after years in vaudeville and radio and they are fast and furious with the verbal gags. Nat Pendleton provides good support as the cop who first chases them and turns out to be their sergeant in the army.  There is some flaws in the boring subplot of playboy Lee Bowman forced into the service due to the draft.

I'm very sorry about the quality of the clip below, but it's the only one i could find that shows The Andrews Sisters dancing.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm very sorry about the quality of the clip below, but it's the only one i could find that shows The Andrews Sisters dancing.

I love this. They were great together but my eyes always go straight to Patty. Her facial expressions are adorable.

8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I love this. They were great together but my eyes always go straight to Patty. Her facial expressions are adorable.

1970s Patty and Maxene at the Tony awards for their Broadway musical Over Here, written by the Sherman brothers (of Mary Poppins fame).  Clip also features Anne Reinking and a young John Travolta in one of his early stage roles...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched The Ascent (1977), one of the films featured in the women directors'  series.    I don't even have the words to do justice  this compelling and powerful film about conscience in an occupied rural area of Russia (possibly Ukraine)?  

On another note, I watched Quo Vadis (1951) on the recommendation of my mother, who claimed that Ustinov as Nero and the situations depict resembles a certain prominent leader of our country, with which I sadly agree.  This movie is swell, trashy camp.  By the way, I think this is the film that the Coen brothers used for the parody Hail Caesar!  George Clooney's togas and armor seem to be based on the design of Robert Tyalor's costumes.  

On 10/7/2020 at 12:58 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

this clip is two minutes and eight seconds long. I DARE YOU to make it to the end!

I made it to 43 seconds and that was more than enough. That's a man, right?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Wait a minute. Did they create this dance or did they copy it from the Ritz Brothers?