Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 10/17/2020 at 1:35 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

no, i think you're just one of those increasingly rare 100% Heterosexuals- solid 5 on the Kinsey scale- some men can look at the world's HOTTEST GUY, shrug and genuinely mean it when they say "I don't get it."

(and bless you for it, we wouldn't be around without you and all)

He was hot in his younger years, but he quickly went to pot.......

• Like 2

I like Peggy Sue Got Married also, and identify with your comments about seeing it when you are sixty.  Didn't watch it last night but I think she laughs at her Dad for getting an Edsel.  Poor Kathleen, she did some great work in both comedy and even noir (Body Heat - with brief appearance by Ted Danson).  She has some sort of condition which made her gain some weight.  As usual, the double standard in Hollywood - e.g., James Spader (good actor but unrecognizable from his younger days).

Last night, after some Law & Order Repeats, watched Worst Cooks Halloween (again, slept through some of it).  I like Ann Burrell and she is from the general area.

34 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I like Peggy Sue Got Married also, and identify with your comments about seeing it when you are sixty.

"I happen to know from very real experience that I will NEVER use Algebra in my life."

It surprised me a lot to learn that KATHLEEN TURNER'S sole Oscar nomination (even though she could/should have gotten one for CRIMES OF PASSION, ROMANCING THE STONE and PRIZZI'S HONOR) was for PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"I happen to know from very real experience that I will NEVER use Algebra in my life."

It surprised me a lot to learn that KATHLEEN TURNER'S sole Oscar nomination (even though she could/should have gotten one for CRIMES OF PASSION, ROMANCING THE STONE and PRIZZI'S HONOR) was for PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED.

Crimes of Passion is probably her most overlooked movie.  Personally I would add Body Heat to your list.

12 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Crimes of Passion is probably her most overlooked movie.  Personally I would add Body Heat to your list.

I have never seen BODY HEAT!!

(Not intentionally avoided it, just never come across it on cable)

CRIMES OF PASSION was on YOUTUBE IN FULL WITH THE DIRTY BITS AND EVERYTHING!!!! (Even the scene with the cop and the night stick!!!!!) it's a MESS of a movie, and her one costar can't act (and her other, ANTHONY PERKINS is doing TOO MUCH), but KATHLEEN TURNER IS AMAZING IN IT! Just 110% commitment on her part. Just amazing. If the film had been any better, she might have had a chance for a nomination (it's still a pretty controversial role though)

2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I like Peggy Sue Got Married also, and identify with your comments about seeing it when you are sixty.  Didn't watch it last night but I think she laughs at her Dad for getting an Edsel.  Poor Kathleen, she did some great work in both comedy and even noir (Body Heat - with brief appearance by Ted Danson).  She has some sort of condition which made her gain some weight.  As usual, the double standard in Hollywood - e.g., James Spader (good actor but unrecognizable from his younger days).

Last night, after some Law & Order Repeats, watched Worst Cooks Halloween (again, slept through some of it).  I like Ann Burrell and she is from the general area.

She was afflicted with terrible arthritis. The steroids or whatever she was taking caused her to look bloated.

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

She was afflicted with terrible arthritis. The steroids or whatever she was taking caused her to look bloated.

She's a brilliant actress, but I think there is just the slightest chance that she may be, um, a little high maintenance.

(**although, who could blame her. The FAME GAME ain't easy, baby.)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have never seen BODY HEAT!!

(Not intentionally avoided it, just never come across it on cable)

CRIMES OF PASSION was on YOUTUBE IN FULL WITH THE DIRTY BITS AND EVERYTHING!!!! (Even the scene with the cop and the night stick!!!!!) it's a MESS of a movie, and her one costar can't act (and her other, ANTHONY PERKINS is doing TOO MUCH), but KATHLEEN TURNER IS AMAZING IN IT! Just 110% commitment on her part. Just amazing. If the film had been any better, she might have had a chance for a nomination (it's still a pretty controversial role though)

Body Heat (1981) is often referred to as being related to Double Indemnity, but I don't think that much.  Other than wife and boyfriend decide to kill husband for his money.  The music by John Barry is excellent.  It was her first movie role and she really nailed the character.

I always find it impressive when an actress or actor can perform different roles and do them well.  Comedy, crime, drama, romance.  Turner does.

As for Crimes of Passion, I just threw away my video tape (early 80's) of it.  Old videos just do not hold up well.  Turner gave an outstanding performance, but the others were very blah.  Then the script itself and probably the direction didn't help much.   

• Like 1

This is more a case of "I am just now watching ...." but I just noticed someone for the first time  in North by Northwest. This is the scene right after Thornhill flees from the U.N. and is trying to get on a train, Is this fellow Roger C. Carmel?  The film does not  appear in his credits.

xvChTOO.png

14 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

This is more a case of "I am just now watching ...." but I just noticed someone for the first time  in North by Northwest. This is the scene right after Thornhill flees from the U.N. and is trying to get on a train, Is this fellow Roger C. Carmel?  The film does not  appear in his credits.

xvChTOO.png

Could be.  His obit in the Chicago Tribune lists NxNW as a film credit.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-11-14-8603250899-story.html

Also, this site is about location shoots, but one of the comments from 2014 states Carmel may be in the shot.

http://www.scoutingny.com/the-filming-locations-of-north-by-northwest-part-2-new-york-youve-changed/

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I always find it impressive when an actress or actor can perform different roles and do them well.  Comedy, crime, drama, romance.  Turner does.

As for Crimes of Passion, I just threw away my video tape (early 80's) of it.  Old videos just do not hold up well.  Turner gave an outstanding performance, but the others were very blah.  Then the script itself and probably the direction didn't help much.   

Also SERIAL MOM (1994)- which has shown up on a lot of streaming services lately. It was, I think, pretty much her last hurrah film-wise (she's done other movies. but i don't think she's been a lead SINCE....unless you maybe count BABY GENIUSES...which...don't)

bdef6675b0f8dd6fa02db58cb5c5e80f.gif

I remember ANNIE POTTS being really good in CRIMES OF PASSION but also thinking that KEN RUSSELL (the director) must've been HUFFING NITROUS BETWEEN TAKES ALONG WITH ANTHONY PERKINS because (even for KEN RUSSELL) he TOTALLY LOSES CONTROL OF THE NARRATIVE (moreso than usual.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

I recorded this to watch at a future date. Halloween?

Re: House of Dark Shadows

I saw this movie first and liked it a lot. I then took a look at the original series and um, not so much.

28 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Roger C. Caramel was Harry Mudd

Heh, the first Trekonderoga I ever attended was amazed someone dressed up as this charactor. Excellent likeness too.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Kathleen Turner reunited with Sam Waterston on an episode of Law & Order

Roger C. Caramel was Harry Mudd (loved the second one where they "cloned" his wife).  Was he also on The Mothers-in-law?

I think so. For one season.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Also SERIAL MOM (1994)- which has shown up on a lot of streaming services lately. It was, I think, pretty much her last hurrah film-wise (she's done other movies. but i don't think she's been a lead SINCE....unless you maybe count BABY GENIUSES...which...don't)

bdef6675b0f8dd6fa02db58cb5c5e80f.gif

I remember ANNIE POTTS being really good in CRIMES OF PASSION but also thinking that KEN RUSSELL (the director) must've been HUFFING NITROUS BETWEEN TAKES ALONG WITH ANTHONY PERKINS because (even for KEN RUSSELL) he TOTALLY LOSES CONTROL OF THE NARRATIVE (moreso than usual.)

In her autobio, Turner complained about working with Perkins and said he would always snort "poppers" before a take and she hated working with him......

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She's a brilliant actress, but I think there is just the slightest chance that she may be, um, a little high maintenance.

(**although, who could blame her. The FAME GAME ain't easy, baby.)

The arthritis is true though. She went into it in her autobio and it really derailed her career.....

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

She was good as the soon to be ex-wife in The Accidental Tourist as well, especially in her final scene where she underplays to great effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Money Pit (1986) -- 6/10

The house referred to in the title of this film certainly lives up to its name as it is one rickety catastrophe after another; the film itself isn't quite the mess the house is, but its still in desperate need of being fixed up. Even at 91 minutes, it feels a bit padded, with basically the entire premise of the film taking a backseat to some dreary recriminations in the final third. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long try hard in the leads, Long proving more adept at milking those laughs. They are almost on their own though because the rest of the cast have smaller roles which are not very fleshed out. There are laughs to be had, though maybe not as many as one might wish. The earlier disaster house films George Washington Slept Here and Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House had more intrinsic wit overall, while this goes for sight gags. it is rather shocking that Gordon Willis photographed this. On the whole, pleasant enough but forgettable, fine for a lazy afternoon on the sofa.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The Money Pit (1986) -- 6/10

The house referred to in the title of this film certainly lives up to its name as it is one rickety catastrophe after another; the film itself isn't quite the mess the house is, but its still in desperate need of being fixed up. Even at 91 minutes, it feels a bit padded, with basically the entire premise of the film taking a backseat to some dreary recriminations in the final third. Tom Hanks and Shelley Long try hard in the leads, Long proving more adept at milking those laughs. They are almost on their own though because the rest of the cast have smaller roles which are not very fleshed out. There are laughs to be had, though maybe not as many as one might wish. The earlier disaster house films George Washington Slept Here and Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House had more intrinsic wit overall, while this goes for sight gags. it is rather shocking that Gordon Willis photographed this. On the whole, pleasant enough but forgettable, fine for a lazy afternoon on the sofa.

NO MENTION OF ALEXANDER GUDUDOV AS “MAX”?!?!

Regarding Peggy Sue Got Married, I first saw it when I was 13, and I remember crying my eyes out when she  met her grandparents again. Just a simply moving moment, and John Barry's score really enhansed the moment. Saw about half of it again earlier this year when it was on Showtime, and it holds up beautifully. It's funny, but its also so deeply emotional and touching and very poignant and bittersweet.

• Like 1

I watched "Dear Heart" earlier today.  Great lovey dovey film with Glenn Ford & Geraldine Page.  It was my first time seeing it.  Not sure why it's listed as a romantic comedy.  The only slightly comical part (to me) was in the restaurant when Harry & Evie first met.  Other than that, it was a romantic film to me.  Peter Ford (Glenn's son) was in it as one of the hotel bell boys.  I spotted several familiar faces - Michael Anderson Jr, Richard Deacon, Ruth McDevitt, Alice Pearce, Mary Wickes, & Billy Benedict.  Try finding Doris Roberts as a desk clerk!

image.png.9f6f8b5b1c426f1aaa95accacf326a29.png

Lori

• Like 2

I saw DEAR HEART the first time last year and loved it! I'm no fan of Ford either, so double surprise how much I liked it. I's call it a lighthearted romance.

• Like 1