Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

21 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

As for what I watched last night, I started Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee version of The Hound.  It can't hold a candle to Basil Rathbone version.  Even if Nigel Bruce doesn't quite fit my idea of John Watson, Basil Rathbone looked like the drawings of Holmes.  I also remember seeing the hound with phosphorescent paint on it. 

I watched the 1959 HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES as well, and as a fan of HAMMER HORROR, I have to say I thought it was  dreadful, with this young lady in particular-

OIP.3E42OhvDxspCFUIrU4gUBwAAAA?pid=Api&r Italian actress MARLA LANDI

giving an ESPECIALLY BAD PERFORMANCE, rendered amusing at times by AN ACCENT so thick and SO UTTERLY CHALLENGING TO DECIPHER  that they really ought to use this as a training film for NEW YORK CITY CABBIES.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Did anyone ever see the film adaptation of Nicholas Meyer's The West End Horror, Murder by Decree (with Christopher Plummer as Holmes)?  It is about the Ripper Murders (which, per my Mom of blessed memory , was something Queen Victoria may have asked Conan Doyle to "investigate"?

Last night, I watched (and, surprisingly didn't fall asleep during) Hope Floats with Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones.  They had good chemistry and I liked the point that it made about the ups and downs of a marriage.

17 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

I love "Romancing the Stone".  I saw "Jewel of the Nile" once.  Barely remember it.  As for an affair between Micheal & Kathleen....I once read (don't remember where) they couldn't stand working together.

Lori

They must've made up. He wrote a blurb for her book cover on her autobio.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I watched the 1959 HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES as well, and as a fan of HAMMER HORROR, I have to say I thought it was  dreadful, with this young lady in particular-

giving an ESPECIALLY BAD PERFORMANCE, rendered amusing at times by AN ACCENT so thick and SO UTTERLY CHALLENGING TO DECIPHER  that they really ought to use this as a training film for NEW YORK CITY CABBIES.

Sorry to disagree, but I liked the Hammer production of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. You're right the Rathbone film was great too.  I've just always liked Cushing and Lee. I'm not saying you're wrong .You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I usually like what you like.  I'm just respectfully  saying I don't agree this time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Sorry to disagree, but I liked the Hammer production of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES. You're right the Rathbone film was great too.  I've just always liked Cushing and Lee. I'm not saying you're wrong .You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I usually like what you like.  I'm just respectfully  saying I don't agree this time

(Looks left)

(looks right)

can you keep a secret? 

i LOVE when people disagree with me here. It would be SO DULL if we all always agreed!

i was a bit surprised myself by how much I disliked the 1959 HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, it just didn’t come together for me on many fronts- the ending especially. 

• Like 3
On 10/21/2020 at 8:46 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I found it to be a mixed bag. She was not to my taste also but I found Peter Cushing's performance to be quite charming. This is one of the few movies for which I will not gush over Christopher Lee's performance because I found it flat. I feel the movie has many moments: some are quite good while some are quite bad. It averages out to: meh.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

I found [THE 1959 HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES] to be a mixed bag. [MARLA LANDI] was not to my taste also but I found Peter Cushing's performance to be quite charming. This is one of the few movies for which I will not gush over Christopher Lee's performance because I found it flat. I feel the movie has many moments: some are quite good while some are quite bad. It averages out to: meh.

CHRISTOPHER LEE was really miscast, not in that he was physically wrong for the part, but if you've got a non-monster, non-psycho- non-looney-tune part that requires no GLOWERING, HISSING, SCOWLING or EYE BULGING, why even hire Christopher Lee when it's a part that- let's face it- TERRY-THOMAS could pull off.  it's like having KLAUS KINSKI play a mild-mannered accountant.

I did not bring it up in my original post, in part because I didn't want to pile on and in part because the [SPOILER] function for hiding reveals no longer works but...

spoiler

spoiler

spoiler

in re: THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959),

at the end of the film, the killer is revealed to be MARLA LANDI and her acting is SO OVER THE TOP, combined with (bless her heart) her very thick ACCENT as she delivers the denoument- that it's sort of like watching KENNETH MARS as INSPECTOR KEMP from YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN starring as HERCULE POIROT in one of the "all will be revealed" scenes.

i would genuinely have LOVED this film if at any moment HOLMES, WATSON, SIR BASKERVILLE, and even the dog had simultaneously looked at her and gone "HUH???" as she explains why she did it.

"I VASS VADDLEING IN MY GRANVODDERS VOOOODSTOPPPES!!!!!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm trying to find something spooky to watch tonight on Amazon Prime, but every time I look something up, it's buy or rent. I wanted to watch Return of Dracula with Frances Lederer and Curse of the Undead with Michael Pate. Why aren't these movies available to watch for free? The Think That Wouldn't Die is another. Blast!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I'm trying to find something spooky to watch tonight on Amazon Prime, but every time I look something up, it's buy or rent. I wanted to watch Return of Dracula with Frances Lederer and Curse of the Undead with Michael Pate. Why aren't these movies available to watch for free? The Think That Wouldn't Die is another. Blast!

THE DEVIL BAT, THE GHOUL (with Karloff), WHITE ZOMBIE and NIGHT OF TERROR (w/Lugosi) are all on PRIME.

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

I have found two ways in which Amazon Prime has made it easier to find content which is included with Prime subscription at no additional cost. 

One way is that 'Editorial Lists' and 'User Lists' on IMDb.com now have a 'Refine' function and one of these is 'Instant Watch Option' which allows you to see only the movies in the list which are free to view on IMDbTV or Prime Video. 

The other way is that Amazon Prime's home page on Roku now shows a 'Free to Me' selection in the menu bar at the very top. This calls up sorted lists of movies and television programs which do not require rental or purchase. 

I do not know when Amazon Prime introduced these. I noticed the 'Refine' function on IMDb.com a day or two ago and the 'Free to Me' option yesterday. I do not know how their home page appears on other streaming devices and so I do not know if they offer the selection and I can not give advice on how to find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a more positive note, I watched and then re-watched THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957) as part of PETER CUSHING'S SOTM

OIP.SaihE8HklsXar3XGJuW5XQHaMV?pid=Api&r HEH-HEH

[SPOILERS]

You know, it seems to me as if mentions of the back-to-back Universal DRACULA/FRANKENSTEIN films of 1931 always compares FRANKENSTEIN favorably to DRACULA, with the 57/58 HAMMER FRANKENSTEIN/DRACULA, it seems as if HORROR OF DRACULA is always compared more favorably and I'm not sure that is fair at all. 

I put it to you that LEE is more effective as THE MONSTER in this movie than he is in HORROR OF DRACULA, genuinely, it's quite a good performance- especially THE MOVEMENTS he incorporates in it, like a ghastly marionette. also the liberties they take with SHELLEY'S STORY are better than the ones they take with STOKER'S.

this one is slow to get moving, but then goes through multiple climaxes in the last 1/3, my only real beef is with a cheap-looking background wall in the set for the FOYER OF HERR BARON and I think it's a bit ridiculous that ELIZABETH  lives, especially when she gets SHOT.

ALSO, those of you who are or who know any late stage alcoholics, feel free to play THE HAMMER PAUL DRINKING GAME with the above-mentioned film.

As is the case with ANY HAMMER FILM featuring a character named PAUL (and there are MANY!) a good 1/5 of the dialogue revolves around looking for or waiting for or desperately screaming for PAUL.

I do not know HOW MANY TIMES the name PAUL is said in this, but it is to BRITISH HORROR what TINA is to the AMERICAN SLASHER FILM

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

ALSO, those of you who are or who know any late stage alcoholics, feel free to play THE HAMMER PAUL DRINKING GAME with the above-mentioned film.

As is the case with ANY HAMMER FILM featuring a character named PAUL (and there are MANY!) a good 1/5 of the dialogue revolves around looking for or waiting for or desperately screaming for PAUL.

I do not know HOW MANY TIMES the name PAUL is said in this, but it is to BRITISH HORROR what TINA is to the AMERICAN SLASHER FILM

Hah! I bet I've watched the Hammer films hundreds of times and never noticed this. What a great catch, LHF.  As Halloween approaches I plan on watching as many Hammer horror films I can find. I'll be sure to look for how many Pauls there are in these films. 

Off the top of my head, there are CHARACTERS NAMED “PAUL” in THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE, TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA and SCARS OF DRACULA. 

Yesterday I recorded "Hard to Handle" with James Cagney from 1933.  He was the only name I knew in the cast.  Sterling Holloway had a small uncredited role at the beginning.  It was an ok film.  Overall not too interesting.  As much as I like James Cagney, sometimes he can talk a mile a minute!  Haha!  But he'll still stay as one of my top 5 favorite actors.  For some reason the film was described as something like "press agent puts on a dance marathon and meets a girl & her mother".  Not sure why the film was described that way.  That dance marathon was just the first 10 minutes of the film.  The rest of the film had nothing to do with dancing.

image.png.03ed9851bdaa319740da3a7656d717f4.png

Lori

7 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

You can watch Return of Dracula on YouTube.

18 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I'm trying to find something spooky to watch tonight on Amazon Prime, but every time I look something up, it's buy or rent.

That's why I stay off Amazon/Alexa. You can search a title (say, TUCKER '88) and all results will be pay to view options. If you are in your router/browser (say, Firestick/Hulu/etc) and you TYPE in the search field, if your searched title is free to watch, it will be included & show you where.

I watch a lot of movies free on Tubi, Pluto & YouTube.

• Like 1

"

13 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

No one else is Sherlock Holmes to me!

You Can Own a Piece of Sherlock Holmes' Hollywood Wardrobe [UPDATED] - I  Hear of Sherlock Everywhere

Lori

The EXTREMELY POPULAR BBC "re-imagining" with CUMMERBUND BENDERSNATCH was pretty good- at least what I watched if it was.

Also worth mentioning is JOHN GEILGUD as a very sedate SHERLOCK on BBC RADIO, I do like those renditions and I'll be honest with you- I've read a few of the CONAN-DOYLE stories and they have all underwhelmed me.

there is also THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES with (again) CHRISTOPHER LEE as SHERLOCK'S HATED BROTHER MICROSOFT (kidding, I can't remember how you spell it) and- seriously- THE LOCH NESS MONSTER. I don't get this movie.

There is also also also YOUNG SHERLOCK (1985) which has some good special effects and a catchy score.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

Yesterday I recorded "Hard to Handle" with James Cagney from 1933.  He was the only name I knew in the cast.  Sterling Holloway had a small uncredited role at the beginning.  It was an ok film.  Overall not too interesting.  As much as I like James Cagney, sometimes he can talk a mile a minute!  Haha!  But he'll still stay as one of my top 5 favorite actors.  For some reason the film was described as something like "press agent puts on a dance marathon and meets a girl & her mother".  Not sure why the film was described that way.  That dance marathon was just the first 10 minutes of the film.  The rest of the film had nothing to do with dancing.

image.png.03ed9851bdaa319740da3a7656d717f4.png

Lori

I enjoyed watching Ruth Donnelly as the gold digging mother of Mary Brian in a comic performance that almost steals the film from Cagney. At one moment Cagney and Brian are having a private conversation in a room. Cagney then opens the room's closed door to have Donnelly fall into the room flat on her face. At another moment Donnelly threatens to put her foot in Cagney's mouth to which Jimmy cheerfully responds, "My mouth's not that big."

To me Hard to Handle is a zippy, unpretentious, fast moving little comedy, highlighted by the high energy performances of Cagney and Donnelly. The opening sequence of a dance marathon down to its final two couples with wise guy Allen Jenkins playing commentator is probably the best set piece of the film. It's also serves as an historical reminder of the popularity of dance marathons during the dirty '30s.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

"

The EXTREMELY POPULAR BBC "re-imagining" with CUMMERBUND BENDERSNATCH was pretty good- at least what I watched if it was.

:D  

Never thought anyone who WASN'T Polish would have such an easily misstated name.  ;) (Benedict Cumbersnatch)

Sepiatone