Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

22 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Didn't mention this the other day, but I took a spin on HBO's latest miniseries. It's called The Undoing and I was drawn into watching it based on the cast and crew. It promises to be a twisty little miniseries filled with big shocks around every corner. It's in large part a murder mystery, an attempt to find out who brutally murdered a Hispanic woman whose child had just started attending a luxury prep school on scholarship. Certainly this woman was a risk taker, given her ways of exhibitionism (walking around fully nude in a locker room with no shame) and her curious attempts to seemingly seduce a woman (Nicole Kidman) who she had only known for two days, mistaking the woman's intrinsic kindness for something else. But based on what is above the table so far, it is an enigma why this particular woman was killed by having her face ripped off. The miniseries though focuses on Kidman's character, an exceedingly wealthy woman in a claustrophobic world where wealth and snobbery are everywhere and little to no signs of awareness of any other social circle of life, and how this murder of a woman she barely knew seems set to upend her entire life. Hugh Grant plays Kidman's husband, who seems to be hiding things. Donald Sutherland appears briefly as her father. The whole miniseries had a distinctly polished air to it, and for a story set in the modern day, its vistas of a busy New York already feel like a period piece. Its based on a book (unread by me), but adapted for the screen by longtime TV power player David E. Kelly (LA Law, Doogie Houser MD,  Picket Fences, Chicago Hope,  Ally McBeal, The Practice, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Harry's Law, Big Little Lies) and directed by an esteemed Danish director, Susanne Bier in the style of a silky neo-noir. I shall be continuing to watch it, as it seems quite absorbing so far, anchored by a great performance from Nicole Kidman.

Have you tried BLACK MONEY LOVE on Netflix streaming? The longest show ever? I'm just completed ep-105 and still have 59 to go. 165 episodes at 42 minutes each equals just over 113 hours a viewing. Compare THE SOPRANOS, 86 episodes at about an hour per episode.

We get a double murder at the outset and that sad event is still at the bottom of the narrative. The story was compelling in a good way at first, but a story of this length should no doubt run into trouble.  And it does and not unexpected. The twists are fast and furious and suspension of disbelief must occur.  Curious thing, some way into the story gives up love scenes that may be irksome to some. Not sex scenes, there is nothing of that like in the entire show (so far). No, these are little scenes where syrupy music accompanies two people who are sitting at a restaurant or something for a mushy scene totally proper, I mean right out of a Barbara Cartland novel. We see none of this for a long while and then it is overdone, moving the goal posts (so to speak) and surprise us with something we had not bargained for.  But the Thriller aspect is there throughout and is quite gritty.  There is music that is perilously repetitive but enormously effective. Two people will be talking and in the middle of the dialogue when some point is sensitive to plot etc., the viewer hears intense music. The viewer will survive the repetitive music because it is judiciously (and brilliantly, IMO) rendered at low volume.  The music is quite good and still like it 2/3 the way through, I even look forward to it.

The show is in Turkish with English subtitles.

The show [not a spoiler has this trope of having someone die and a past is revealed that thoroughly turns everyone who thought they know him have their worlds turned upside down. That theme is continued throughout. You never really know people. "You can never tell about people," says the Marlene Dietrich character in TOUCH OF EVIL. 

Try it.

• Like 1

This am/afternoon they are running West Wing reruns on TNT.  They are doing it to tie into some reunited cast  promo (you have to have HBO Max or something).  John Spencer is still alive and nice mixture of comedy and drama. 

I'm not doing horror films and but I might save a couple of good films I saw on TCM until tomorrow night.  One of my favorite Halloween shows is Kimmel's parents faking out their kids by saying they ate all their candy.  I don't know if he will do it Monday night or if he already did it.  It is bad enough about the Great Pumpkin.

As an aside, while I enjoy TCM, I hope that I don't have to find the needle in the haystack after the election.  I do not want to offend anyone, so I'm leaving my statement open to interpretation.

"Footsteps in the Dark" with Errol Flynn from 1941 was great!!!  I recommend it.  It was directed by the great Lloyd Bacon.  Let's hear it for "Footlight Parade"!!  Not to mention countless other great films he directed, but I really love that one.

ERROL FLYNN Movie Film 8x10 PHOTO Footsteps In The DARK William FRAWLEY  dt216 | eBay

Lori

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

"Footsteps in the Dark" with Errol Flynn from 1941 was great!!!  I recommend it.  It was directed by the great Lloyd Bacon.  Let's hear it for "Footlight Parade"!!  Not to mention countless other great films he directed, but I really love that one.

ERROL FLYNN Movie Film 8x10 PHOTO Footsteps In The DARK William FRAWLEY  dt216 | eBay

Lori

I enjoy Footsteps in the Dark as well.  My favorite part is all of Flynn's stereotypical Texas cowboy slang.  I also love the part with Blondie when she's performing and spots Flynn in the audience and starts making eyes at him.  I'd make eyes at him too! 

• Like 1

Being that it’s Halloween week, we’ve been watching older horror films.  Last night was The Return of Doctor X (1939).  The online film databases seem to list Humphrey Bogart as top billing, when in fact on the movie poster he was listed third.  This is far from his first film, but certainly closer to the start of his career than the end.  Bogart’s one of my favorite old-time actors, so to see him in a horror film was quite the treat.  The film is about a doctor who brings people back to life using a synthetic blood he’s developing.  Bogart plays one of his experiments as the ghoul and does a darned good job of it.  I think he’d give Karloff a good run for his money.  Lol.   In fact, I read Karloff was originally cast for the role and that Bogey was quite upset when asked to play it…

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God, I LOVE “THE WICKER MAN” (1973)

Every time I see it I like it a little bit more.

I'll have to give it another go, it struck me as "meh",  but MrTiki loves it & keeps wanting to watch it. We caught some of HALLOWEEN last night, a movie I've never seen. I thought it was pretty unscary, schlocky, especially when he told me the killer is wearing a Shatner mask!

• Like 1

Because of the dreaded 'streaming rights/blocked films' syndrome, I couldn't watch "The Devil Rides Out" last night.  I had never seen this Christopher Lee film until a few years ago, but it quickly became one of my horror classics to watch whenever it showed up on the schedule.  Alas, it's another film that I was looking forward to seeing, but could not.  It seems like this is happening on Hulu with TCM programs once every two or three weeks, when it initially seemed like it would occur just once every other month.  Disappointed by the turn of events since I signed up with Hulu, but each time I get my bill and see that it's half of what I was paying when I had cable, well...it's still worth the monthly savings!

I'll also give a shout out to this year's TCM lineup of Peter Cushing movies and the usual showings of horror classics in October.  Probably late to the party with this assertion, but I'd have to say Fay Wray was the undisputable 'Queen of Scream' in 1930's horror/thriller films.  I really enjoyed the restored version of "Mystery at the Wax Museum".  Glenda Farrell, Fay Wray, and Lionel Atwill were great!

Blondie's Anniversary Poster

Blondie's Anniversary (1947) Movies! TV Network 4/10

Dagwood is supposed to deliver an expensive watch to an attractive secretary, Mr Radcliffe bought it for her to get in good with her boss, a potential client. Blondie sees the watch and thinks it is a present for her.

#22 in the Blondie series, this one is another weak later entry with some good guest actors. Adele Jergens plays the secretary, she was one of the sexiest of the B movie blondes, but she doesn't get to be too sexy here since she spends most of her time seated at a desk and talking on the phone. Dagwood tries to get money to replace the watch so he goes to a loan shark played by William Frawley, just 4 years before I Love Lucy. He has some of the funniest moments.

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I enjoy Footsteps in the Dark as well.  My favorite part is all of Flynn's stereotypical Texas cowboy slang.  I also love the part with Blondie when she's performing and spots Flynn in the audience and starts making eyes at him.  I'd make eyes at him too! 

Me too!!

Lori

A movie I like to watch each Halloween is "Tower of Terror" with Steve Guttenberg & Kirsten Dunst.  Directed by DJ MacHale from 1997.  It's an under rated Halloween movie IMO.  I really like it though!

Tower of Terror (1997)

Lori

On 10/27/2020 at 9:13 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Madhouse Poster

Madhouse (1974) TCM 6/10

A horror film star (Vincent Price) is suspected of murdering his young fiancée. He spends years in a mental institution and when released, more murders start occurring.

A good cast in this watchable 1970s AIP flick. This is probably the last decent horror film Price made. This also co stars Peter Cushing as a screenwriter and Robert Quarry (Count Yorga) as a producer. In the opening credits we there is "special participation by Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone", even though both had been dead for several years by then. They are seen in other AIP film clips where they appeared with Price. Karloff is shown in The Raven (1963) and Rathbone in Tales Of Terror (1962).

I've tried to like Madhouse a few times because  I'm a big fan of Price, Cushing and Quarry. The badly written script is incoherent and the acting aside from the  three principals is TV level. Linda Hayden is given nothing to do except play a stereotyped sexpot for a few minutes. The two useless Scotland  Yard cops help to make the movie even more irritating and  even more of a unintentional spoof. The last ten minutes are  incomprehensible. Price's Dr. Death makeup is awful. The fake Dr. Death's skull mask much better. I did get a kick seeing Quarry in Count Yorga makeup during the party. Overall, a terrible waste of three great horror stars and Adrienne Corri. How bad the editing is is amplified by the fact that director Jim Clark was one of the industry's greatest editors. 

Last night I watched Girlfriends using TCM on demand.  I remember seeing the film years ago and Melanie Mayron looks different than she did on Thirtysomething. Didn't realize Christopher Guest (took a moment to recognize him) was in the film.  I thought the introduction was quite interesting and could relate to what Alicia Malone said about her not being ready to settle down (i.e., marry and have children) like many of her friends.

OIP.1bbU1OWblOU4kHeKnlkqQQHaF1?pid=Api&r

WHAT A FASCINATING LOBBY CARD!!!!!!

I checked out THE WALKING DEAD (1936) on TCM. The story itself is not good, but THE DIRECTION BY MICHAEL CURTIZ WAS EXCELLENT.

That mean little Hungarian S O B really knew how to move a camera and keep a story rolling!!

I also watched DOCTOR X also directed by CURTIZ and the same is true for it (EDIT- EXCEPT IT'S A GOOD STORY!), although I had to note that the print TCM showed wa s alittle spotty. It's due a restoration at some point.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I'll have to give [THE WICKER MAN] another go, it struck me as "meh",  but MrTiki loves it & keeps wanting to watch it.

It's not a film for everyone, THAT'S FOR DAMN SURE.

but in our present environment, and given how I feel about people who misuse, abuse and misconstrue religion IT JUTS HITS HOME EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT, AND HONESTLY, (OOPS, CAPS LOCK) And honestly, I also view it as a PITCH BLACK COMEDY.

HONEST TO GOD I LAUGHED MY *** OFF WATCHING IT THIS MORNING, AND THAT IS NO INSULT TO THIS MOVIE!!!!!!

If I went on a date with someone and that someone loved THE WICKER MAN as well, I would be all for stopping by The Justice of The Peace on the way home.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:33 PM, SansFin said:

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

I like animation of all types and I have a very soft spot in my head heart for innocence....(snip)...

I am sorry to say that the story was fine but the treatment was not to my taste...(snip)...It is a movie which I will recommend to people who will appreciate  the visual experience. I could never recommend it for children.

Had to take Seymour to the emergency vet early Thursday morning ~3am. Brought him home about 9pm Friday.

While worrying all day, I thought of how it took nearly a year to gain his trust (he was a stray) and it reminded me of my favorite scene in How to Train Your Dragon. *Sniff*

For the impatient...fast forward to when the boy, Hiccup, draws on the ground with a stick.

(I note that Hiccup is left-handed.  When it comes to noticing other lefties, left-handed people tend to be like Jake the dog in a Far Side panel: a crush of fleeing people and a traffic jam in a city aflame, with a mushroom cloud in the distance. Amidst all that, a dog in one of the cars is looking at another dog on the sidewalk. The caption is “And then Jake saw something that grabbed his attention.”

Though there also is right -handed agitprop against lefties.)

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Didn't mention this the other day, but I took a spin on HBO's latest miniseries. It's called The Undoing and I was drawn into watching it based on the cast and crew. It promises to be a twisty little miniseries filled with big shocks around every corner. It's in large part a murder mystery, an attempt to find out who brutally murdered a Hispanic woman whose child had just started attending a luxury prep school on scholarship. Certainly this woman was a risk taker, given her ways of exhibitionism (walking around fully nude in a locker room with no shame) and her curious attempts to seemingly seduce a woman (Nicole Kidman) who she had only known for two days, mistaking the woman's intrinsic kindness for something else. But based on what is above the table so far, it is an enigma why this particular woman was killed by having her face ripped off. The miniseries though focuses on Kidman's character, an exceedingly wealthy woman in a claustrophobic world where wealth and snobbery are everywhere and little to no signs of awareness of any other social circle of life, and how this murder of a woman she barely knew seems set to upend her entire life. Hugh Grant plays Kidman's husband, who seems to be hiding things. Donald Sutherland appears briefly as her father. The whole miniseries had a distinctly polished air to it, and for a story set in the modern day, its vistas of a busy New York already feel like a period piece. Its based on a book (unread by me), but adapted for the screen by longtime TV power player David E. Kelly (LA Law, Doogie Houser MD,  Picket Fences, Chicago Hope,  Ally McBeal, The Practice, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Harry's Law, Big Little Lies) and directed by an esteemed Danish director, Susanne Bier in the style of a silky neo-noir. I shall be continuing to watch it, as it seems quite absorbing so far, anchored by a great performance from Nicole Kidman.

I watched the first episode and was interested enough. I tried to get the second episode by suddenly I was given on screen some sort of documentary wherein the actors were talking about their characters and GIVING EVERYTHING AWAY. I find the software on HBO Max problematic. Is this show so new that there is only one episode so far. Anyway I can look it up but I don't know how I got hooked up with that spoiler docu.  They revealed well we know who did it and I'm wondering whether to take it up again. Venting, thanks.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

THE MUMMY (1933)

I have this on DVD, but it's an issue of the OLD, CRAPPY print before UNIVERSAL went back and restored most of their major monster titles (i mean REALLY cleaned up the soundtracks of noise and cleared the picture up astoundingly well and repaired damaged frames digitally.)

i was on a MUMMY FILM kick recently, and I popped the DVD (crappy print and all)  in, but could not make it through. Wooden. Stale. Dusty.

i caught the RESTORED VERSION on TCM this morning (nice surprise) and again, I will state that to properly judge a film, one should see it in as close to the condition it was in when it was released. It was A WHOLE DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE watching the film without the tinny sound and the echo, the dialogue delivery comes across a lot better and the performances liven up. without that OMINIPRESENT HISSING SOUND, you understand how eerie and unsettling the moments of DEAD SILENCE are (same for DRACULA.) and it's great to see the MARVELOUS (and very well-lit ) sets in such a clear picture- any time UNIVERSAL was willing to shell out some real dough in the making of a movie, it SHOULD be well preserved.

I just re watched this on TCM On Demand, for the first time in decades. I was always a big fan of Universal horrors like the Frankensteins, Draculas and Wolf Man ones. The Mummy was never a favorite of mine. Watching it now, I felt the scenes without Karloff are very dull. We only get to see the bandaged Mummy at the beginning, the scene where the guy watches it "go for a little walk" is both eerie and hilarious. But I liked the flashback scenes and things really pick up at the end. And I did hear the very loud hissing sound whenever there was silence.

• Thanks 1

I used TCM on Demand to watch Lost in Yonkers.  If you haven't seen it, I suggest you check it out.  The two young actors were very good, Richard Dreyfus was pretty good, but Mercedes Ruhl stole the show as someone either learning disabled or a little offbeat.  Very different from the roles she played in The Fisher King and Big.

38 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I just re watched this on TCM On Demand, for the first time in decades. I was always a big fan of Universal horrors like the Frankensteins, Draculas and Wolf Man ones. The Mummy was never a favorite of mine. .

And yet, of the four, for me personally it is the best make-up and genuinely the most physically scary...and then he starts that slooooooow sideways shuffle and you're like, "oh, ok, if I stood here for a week and a half and this guy managed to catch me, I'd be in deep ****, but otherwise I'm cool."

THE MUMMY is even scarier looking in the sequels, in THE MUMMY'S HAND they blacked out his eyes by drawing on the film and it is UNSETTLING.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I just re watched this on TCM On Demand, for the first time in decades. I was always a big fan of Universal horrors like the Frankensteins, Draculas and Wolf Man ones. The Mummy was never a favorite of mine. Watching it now, I felt the scenes without Karloff are very dull. We only get to see the bandaged Mummy at the beginning, the scene where the guy watches it "go for a little walk" is both eerie and hilarious. But I liked the flashback scenes and things really pick up at the end. And I did hear the very loud hissing sound whenever there was silence.

That suffocating claustrophobia inducing moment when a bandaged Karloff, his tongue cut out, is buried alive can give me nightmares. Yes, the film is slow but it remains one of the most atmospheric of the Universal horror films. Photographically the film is a marvel. Bramwell Fletcher might not be anybody's idea of a good actor but his giddiness as he goes mad stays in the memory.

Two Monks (Mexico, 1934). Gothic melodrama meets German expressionism, in the story of two men who were first the greatest of friends, then rivals for the same woman's love...and who have each nursed their particular memory of how the ensuing triangle was resolved. (In Javier's recollection, he is always wearing pale clothes while Juan is always dressed in black. In Juan's version of the story, he's wearing the pastels and Javier is wearing all black.) The restoration for the World Cinema Project looks and sounds ravishing. On TCM on Demand through 11/28.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, laffite said:

I watched the first episode and was interested enough. I tried to get the second episode by suddenly I was given on screen some sort of documentary wherein the actors were talking about their characters and GIVING EVERYTHING AWAY. I find the software on HBO Max problematic. Is this show so new that there is only one episode so far. Anyway I can look it up but I don't know how I got hooked up with that spoiler docu.  They revealed well we know who did it and I'm wondering whether to take it up again. Venting, thanks.

It only premiered last week, so yes it is that new. Episode 2 airs tonight.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Two Monks (Mexico, 1934). Gothic melodrama meets German expressionism, in the story of two men who were first the greatest of friends, then rivals for the same woman's love...and who have each nursed their particular memory of how the ensuing triangle was resolved. (In Javier's recollection, he is always wearing pale clothes while Juan is always dressed in black. In Juan's version of the story, he's wearing the pastels and Javier is wearing all black.) The restoration for the World Cinema Project looks and sounds ravishing. On TCM on Demand through 11/28.

Just a note for those who might not be aware, on WatchTCM the film is listed by its Spanish title Dos Monjes.

• Thanks 1