Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 10/30/2020 at 4:18 PM, Lori Ann said:

"Footsteps in the Dark" with Errol Flynn from 1941 was great!!!  I recommend it.  It was directed by the great Lloyd Bacon.  Let's hear it for "Footlight Parade"!!  Not to mention countless other great films he directed, but I really love that one.

I liked "Footsteps in the Dark" as well.  It was fun seeing Errol Flynn solving a mystery "Thin Man" style.  Funny how Flynn worked for Warners for so many years and they never really capitalized on his abilities.  They tried him in screwball comedy with "Four's a Crowd" which was terrible, and they gave up.  They tried making him a "Thin Man" detective with this movie, and it was good but apparently didn't do well, and they gave up.  They never even tried to give him a big meaty dramatic part, so that had to wait until he was old and sick with "Too Much, Too Soon".  (That film isn't very good but Flynn is terrific.)

5 hours ago, Vidor said:

I liked "Footsteps in the Dark" as well.  It was fun seeing Errol Flynn solving a mystery "Thin Man" style.  Funny how Flynn worked for Warners for so many years and they never really capitalized on his abilities.  They tried him in screwball comedy with "Four's a Crowd" which was terrible, and they gave up.  They tried making him a "Thin Man" detective with this movie, and it was good but apparently didn't do well, and they gave up.  They never even tried to give him a big meaty dramatic part, so that had to wait until he was old and sick with "Too Much, Too Soon".  (That film isn't very good but Flynn is terrific.)

I liked "Four's a Crowd".  I recently saw it for the first time.  I liked it.

Lori

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Vidor said:

I can't agree that Warners misused the talents of Flynn.      He was cast in two drama,  and one The Sisters, he was solid playing the husband of Bette Davis.   Yes, most WB films with Davis were Davis-films,  but Flynn received enough screen time to show he had the chops for such a role.    The other drama was Escape Me Never with another dramatic actress Ida Lupino and reteamed with Eleanor Parker.     A year before Parker and Flynn were featured in the comedy,  Never Say Goodbye .    This is a fun film.

Flynn was clearly best in hero type adventure films (maybe no actor of the era was better in such films as Flynn),  so of course these were the main type of films WB would develop for him.       Once WWII started Flynn was also cast in war films and was very effective.   

As for Four's a Crowd:   I like this film because I'm a big fan of the 3 main stars and Patric Knowles was a fine secondary man in many films with Flynn.    Ok,  not as good as many of the comedies other studios were releasing,     but adding loan-out Rosalind Russell,  with the chemistry of Flynn and DeHaviland worked for me. 

• Like 3

The other night, I rewatched The Banger Sisters.  It was pretty cute.

Then yesterday afternoon I watched another stupid episode of General Hospital.  Hey, I'm not the village idiot.  I didn't need an episode telling me to vote.  The only positive thing was that mumbles Monaco wasn't in it.

Last night, watched part of the Barry Sullivan noir film on TCM (though I hate to check out which role Shelly Winters played).  Dave K. mentioned A Double Life with Ronald Coleman (didn't know she was in it and hope they show it).  No offense to Dave K., but would have preferred to see Eddie M. on it.  After a while, started watching Holiday Baking on Food Network.  Preferred the British woman (Lorraine?) to Carla Hall.

As for tonight, I will be watching election results and other things.  I don't think we will know who won/lost for several days.

3 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Then yesterday afternoon I watched another stupid episode of General Hospital.  Hey, I'm not the village idiot.  I didn't need an episode telling me to vote.  The only positive thing was that mumbles Monaco wasn't in it.

Last night, watched part of the Barry Sullivan noir film on TCM (though I hate to check out which role Shelly Winters played).  Dave K. mentioned A Double Life with Ronald Coleman (didn't know she was in it and hope they show it).  No offense to Dave K., but would have preferred to see Eddie M. on it.  After a while, started watching Holiday Baking on Food Network.  Preferred the British woman (Lorraine?) to Carla Hall.

As for tonight, I will be watching election results and other things.  I don't think we will know who won/lost for several days.

Carla Hall annoys me. 
A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) can probably be found online, that’s how I saw it. However, I will let you know that I did not think it was good at all. (Got to be careful though Ronald Colman has some diehard fans here.) 

• Thanks 1

I’m rewatching DOCTOR X (1932?) 

I love this movie, BUT DAMN IT IS IN TERRIBLE SHAPE!!!!! Missing frames, fuzzy picture, multiple lines, washed out colors and visible damage to whatever negative they used. 

i can’t believe they chose to restore WAX MUSEUM and THE VAMPIRE BAT and not this instead.**

**WAX MUSEUM and THE VAMPIRE BAT are fine, but DOCTOR X is excellent. 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Vidor said:

No one ever played the costume hero better in the movies than Errol Flynn. He had the looks, charm as well as insolence and light hearted attitude that was perfect for such films, plus he could wear costume attire without looking effeminate. He had enough versatility as an actor that he also could play both westerns and war dramas highly effectively. Name another actor  in the history of movies who was as effective as Flynn in westerns, war dramas AND swashbucklers. That makes Flynn unique among action genre actors.

But Warners wasn't too interested in experimenting with Flynn's acting ability, for the most part, and when did they cast him in some comedies, while you can see the actor's potential, the weak material he was given generally defeated him. Flynn's most successful occasions when his flare for playing humour came off well was when it supplemented dramatic (or, at least, light heartedly dramatic) material, such as in Gentleman Jim and Adventures of Don Juan.

As an actor, though, Flynn, sadly, never had the opportunity to achieve his full potential, though he was poignant when he was playing variations of his later alcoholic self in Sun Also Rises and Too Much Too Soon. Having said that, take a look at a couple of interesting darker portrayals that he had when Raoul Walsh directed him in Uncertain Glory and Silver River. Flynn's real life cynicism adds considerably to the effectiveness of those anti-hero portraits.

• Like 3

I spent election day watching THE GODFATHER I and II. I've seen them many times, but always enjoy seeing them again. Both films are masterpieces. It's clear why each  won academy awards for best picture . These movies help cement Marlon Brando as one the greatest of all time and launched the careers of both Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro. If by some remote chance you haven't seen either,  I'm going to "make you an offer you cannot refuse".

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lori Ann said:

I liked "Four's a Crowd".  I recently saw it for the first time.  I liked it.

Lori

I liked Four's a Crowd too.  I really liked the pairing of Flynn with Rosalind Russell.  I thought that Patric Knowles and Olivia de Havilland's characters were a tad annoying, but overall the film was entertaining.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Carla Hall annoys me. 
A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) can probably be found online, that’s how I saw it. However, I will let you know that I did not think it was good at all. (Got to be careful though Ronald Colman has some diehard fans here.) 

I have A Double Life on DVD!  I thought it was a fantastic movie and Ronald Colman deserved his Oscar.  I also learned about Othello.  I knew it was Shakespeare, but that's about it.  I borrowed it from the library awhile back because I was on an Edmond O'Brien kick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Re: A Double Life.  Shelley Winters plays a young waitress who meets and has an affair with Ronald Colman.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Then yesterday afternoon I watched another stupid episode of General Hospital.  Hey, I'm not the village idiot.  I didn't need an episode telling me to vote.

My friend works on that show & the crew was very proud of that episode-maybe they just needed to take a break from "the usual" & be creative. 

15 hours ago, TomJH said:

he could wear costume attire without looking effeminate

Never thought of that, but you're right. Flynn certainly was one-of-a-kind.

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have A Double Life on DVD!  I thought it was a fantastic movie and Ronald Colman deserved his Oscar.  I also learned about Othello.  I knew it was Shakespeare, but that's about it.  I borrowed it from the library awhile back because I was on an Edmond O'Brien kick.

I get blowback every time I diss A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) and it has been a while since I saw it and also I watched it on youtube, don't recall the quality of the print though- so, maybe one of these days I will check it out again.

I remember it being DARK. Like, not figuratively, like LITERALLY DARK- like hard to see, but in a way where I couldn't blame the print entirely because clearly it was (literally) DARK when it came out in 47.

55 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Never thought of that, but you're right. Flynn certainly was one-of-a-kind.

Absolutely. A lot of actors can look a bit silly in costume attire. But that kind of costume never compromised Errol Flynn's masculinity. As an action screen hero, who could also play westerners (along with WWII military men), Flynn was unique.

760504a53b078b68a723369c5bb155d0.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

538b1169354e176b0e0d87c7d6a90566.jpg

MV5BNGIzYjQxYWMtZGFiNS00OGIyLWE1YjEtOWIx

• Like 2
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I get blowback every time I diss A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) and it has been a while since I saw it and also I watched it on youtube, don't recall the quality of the print though- so, maybe one of these days I will check it out again.

I remember it being DARK. Like, not figuratively, like LITERALLY DARK- like hard to see, but in a way where I couldn't blame the print entirely because clearly it was (literally) DARK when it came out in 47.

Lorna, I believe the print TCM shows is excellent. There's a great scene where Colman on stage is dazzled by the lights in the auditorium. Much more visually striking than one usually finds in George Cukor films.

Re: the Godfather and the third installment where Andy Garcia played the son of Sonny and what I watched last night.  I watched Book Club (saw on some TV channel before) with Diane Keaton, Mary S., Candice B. (three thumbs up), and Jane Fonda (not a fan).  Andy Garcia plays the love interest of Diane Keaton (sister-in-law of Sonny when married to Michael).  Fortunately, I don't belong to book clubs that read drek like Fifty Shades.  I think Andy Garcia (first saw him in Internal Affairs with Richard Gere) is younger than Diane Keaton but they made a cute couple.  A lot of the story was ridiculous, but it distracted me during election nights.

As for this p.m. and tonight, more distractions on the way.