Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

20 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Yes, Godfather III was a bit of a disappointment. However, I did like that they wrapped up the story. My favorite thing about Godfather III was Andy Garcia as Sonny's illegitimate son  Vincent Corleone. 

sue me, but as a great admirer of terrible acting, I have to give props to the GAME CHANGING PERFORMANCE OF SOFIA COPPOLA in GODFATHER III. 
It is a thing of wonderful, terrible, magnificence.

SPOILER

She can’t even die convincingly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

Terrific old fashioned adventure film, set in 1904, about a renegade Berber and his followers in Morocco who kidnap an American woman and her two children for internal political reasons. This puts them in opposition to Teddy Roosevelt, then up for election, determined to use U.S. troops to set the Americans free.

Director John Milius's gift for outstanding action scenes is on full display in the film's opening sequence depicting the kidnapping of the Americans from their Tangier home. Horses will smash through walls and ride through the home, as Arab warriors with swords drawn ride towards the woman and her fleeing son and daughter. Later in the film Milius will stage an Arab attack on horseback towards a town, with cannons blasting and horses falling (the director later said that no animal was injured during the making of this film).

But, arguably best of all, will be a scene in which the Berber chief will rescue the woman from some scavenger Arabs who have her. This will be on horseback with sword drawn in a film that honours the ancient tradition of a warrior proving his courage mano a mano with a sword.

Forget the Scottish brogue coming from an Arab. Sean Connery is in magnificent form as the Raisuli, Milius gives his character a great introductory closeup as the camera barrels in upon his face as he sits with his back turned to the camera then half turns to face it. Connery is as dominant a masculine force as you will see on screen in this film but matching him in effectiveness, in many ways, is Candice Bergen as his kidnapped victim. Bergen is feisty, at one point riding up to him on horseback telling him she is no coward, that if he tries to touch her she will kill him and with her last breath curse him to God. To her outburst Connery simply asks, "Do you play checkers?" "No, chess," she replies. "Better," he says.

Bergen, who may have never looked more beautiful and whose role might have been played by Maureen O'Hara a couple of decades earlier, and Connery have great rapport.

Brian Keith has great fun in the role of Teddy Roosevelt, openly imperialistic and not much concerned about the illegalities of sending U.S. troops uninvited into a foreign land.

Towards the film's end the writing becomes weaker, in fact, even silly, when American troops take a chance on a major international incident by challenging German military that has captured the Raisuli but why nit pick? Milius's film is a solid romantic adventure throwback, with two great lead actors both in peak form. Jerry Goldsmith, by the way, contributes a rousing musical score to the film.

008358_606x341_228_032.jpg2d235986484192a336dc0b715300a86c--candic

3 out of 4

• Like 4

This morning I rewatched THE VAMPIRE BAT (1933)- A CURIOUS LITTLE HORROR MOVIE FROM 1933 THAT IS IN the public domain (OOPS, CAPS LOCK) and thusly, a lot of sh***y copies are out there. for some reason, the UCLA FILM ARCHIVE decided to throw a ton of effort into restoring it, they did- and it's a great job- although I note that the red coloring on the negative of some torches during a cave/chase scene is peculiar and,kind of distracting.

you can see seeds for THE DEVIL BAT and [aspects of] MARK OF THE VAMPIRE being sown.

like WHITE ZOMBIE, this was a LOW BUDGET INDEPENDENT HORROR FILM that rented [or possibly snuck in after dark] some of Universal's sets. The main set of THE OLD DARK HOUSE is used as ATWILL'S OFFICE, the FRANKENSTEIN VILLAGE appears too. they also use some charming models and there is one outstanding visual of a bunch of bats hanging from a tree in front of a very mittelEuropean tower that I WISH I COULD HAVE FOUND AN IMAGE OF BECAUSE I WOULD MAKE IT MY WALLPAPER. 

You see blood in this movie! Which is wild to me, because I couldn't think of many other examples in 1930's or 40's cinema where you see actual blood in a film. i thought it was in the HAYES CODE THAT YOU COULD NOT SHOW BLOOD! But, I know you see it in GWTW.

1933_vampire_bat_024_lionel_atwill.jpg

the most memorable thing about the film is the misfired performance of DWIGHT FRYE- I completely understand if any of you think it is a great performance, I don't- as HERMAN THE BAT-LOVING VILLAGE IDIOT.

MELVYN DOUGLAS is in this. he;s a bold and charming actor, but again, I think THE DIRECTOR OF THIS PICTURE had no clue how to work with actors, because he is hamming it up like a matinee on The Blackpool Pier.

LIONEL ATWILL is in it; I will always have mixed feelings about him because his costar in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, DONNIE DUNIGAN, came forward years ago and stated that ATWILL took him aside and acted innaproprioately with him (DUNNIGAN was a child at the time and later a MARINE and he seemed like a FINE MAN.)

THE GUY WHO PLAYS M. BEAUMONT in WHITE ZOMBIE is in this. He's an interesting actor.

I do not know WHY I have not remembered this, because I have seen this movie before, but the final scene involves a MATRONLY AUNT HAULING IT UPSTAIRS TO WRECK THE TOILET BECAUSE SHE HAS JUST TAKEN A LAXATIVE!!

And if ANY of you can name ANY OTHER FILM EVER that ends like that, I will be VERY SURPRISED.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Last night I watched Too Late for Tears (though I think I saw it before).  Never was a fan of Ms. Scott (Dan Duryea all the way!), but thought it was a good movie.  I liked Ben's intro (that seems to have been written by Eddie) and I'm glad that Ben thanked Eddie for the restoration of the film. Interesting comments about the short career of Ms. Scott (I always saw her as a "poor man's" Bacall and see no relationship to Veronica Lake).  

I've been watching the UK's Up series.  I had seen the 21 up installment before years ago, but I'm now watching them all in sequence, and am about halfway through, as 42 is next.   It's interesting to see the changes over the years, and that most, with a couple of big exceptions, have followed the path predicted back in the early 60s.  It's also interesting to see the participants push back on the generalizations, conclusions, and even their participation in the project.  I feel kind of sorry for them as their parents, teachers or other adults probably pushed them into this at age 7, not knowing what it would become.

• Like 1

Did any of you watch ZIG ZAG from 1970 today? I needed a break from watching election coverage so I gave it a go. I think it's the first time I've seen George Kennedy in a lead role. He was a great character and won best supporting actor in 1967 for his role in COOL HAND LUKE. ZIG ZAG was just OK. It had an interesting plot line.  However, it was a bit unrealistic and I didn't much care for the ending. I'm curious as to what you all thought if you watched.

Did any of you watch ZIG ZAG from 1970 today? I needed a break from watching election coverage so I gave it a go. I think it's the first time I've seen George Kennedy in a lead role. He was a great character and won best supporting actor in 1967 for his role in COOL HAND LUKE. ZIG ZAG was just OK. It had an interesting plot line.  However, it was a bit unrealistic and I didn't much care for the ending. I'm curious as to what you all thought if you watched.

18 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I've been watching the UK's Up series.  I had seen the 21 up installment before years ago, but I'm now watching them all in sequence, and am about halfway through, as 42 is next. 

Is the version you're watching include interviews with the filmmakers & the reasons for the production? It was never supposed to follow their entire lives, but glad it did! Life was so different when I was a kid....imagine....people worked real jobs!

I am the same age as the kids & remember seeing 7 to 21UP  in college psych class. I've seen each installment the year it comes out except last years 70 UP. 

There is a new American version, but somehow watching kids with their faces stuck in a phone doesn't appeal to me.

Family Affair Poster

Family Affair (1966-1971) I spent the last few months going through this sitcom on IMDB TV. It was about a bachelor engineer who adopts his brother's thee children after the parents are killed in an accident.

It used to be one of my favorite shows as a child. Buffy and Jody (Anissa Jones and Johnnie Whitaker) sometimes can have some cutesy and whiny moments, but  seeing it within the context of a show is not so bad. Kathy Garner as Cissy provides some more mature moments. Brian Keith as Uncle Bill is very low key and often very understanding no matter what the kids do. Sebastian Cabot provides much of the comedy as the very proper "gentleman's gentleman" Mr French. 

One thing about this sitcom that sets it apart from others of the time is that it sometimes deals with serious subjects, and it does not always have happy endings, so it could called a "dramedy". One episode has Buffy making friends with a terminally ill girl (played Eve Plumb, who would later be Jan on The Brady Bunch). Uncle Bill arranges for doctors for the girl, it looks like there may be a miracle cure, but...it doesn't happen. Other shows dealt with divorce, latch key kids, bullying. 

Many old time Hollywood stars had guest roles on here-Myrna Loy, Jackie Coogan, Joan Blondell, Martha Hyer, June Lockhart, Patric Knowles, and Ida Lupino. Dana Andrews has one of the most memorable roles as an old friend of Uncle Bill's, who was just released from prison and Bill wants to help him to get a job. Buffy and Jody are afraid he might rob them.

Anyone else a fan of this show?

• Like 1

I now bemoan the fact that ANN SAH-VAGE never reached the point of celebrity where she could bottle and sell a signature scent for the market, of course, called SAH-VAGE.

(Well, "Savage"- but you pronounce it "SAH-VAGE")

And they could have had one of those pretentious CALVIN KLIEN OBSESSION LIKE AD CAMPAIGNS, or better yet- the WHITE DIAMONDS COMMERCIAL that LIZ TAYLOR DID CA. 1991, only in these, ANN SAH-VAGE goes around and KILLS PEOPLE in ARTY BLACK AND WHITE SHOTS and then UDO KIER HISSES:

SAH-VAGE, THE SCENT OF AN ANIMAL!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Family Affair Poster

Family Affair (1966-1971) I spent the last few months going through this sitcom on IMDB TV. It was about a bachelor engineer who adopts his brother's thee children after the parents are killed in an accident.

It used to be one of my favorite shows as a child. Buffy and Jody (Anissa Jones and Johnnie Whitaker) sometimes can have some cutesy and whiny moments, but  seeing it within the context of a show is not so bad. Kathy Garner as Cissy provides some more mature moments. Brian Keith as Uncle Bill is very low key and often very understanding no matter what the kids do. Sebastian Cabot provides much of the comedy as the very proper "gentleman's gentleman" Mr French. 

One thing about this sitcom that sets it apart from others of the time is that it sometimes deals with serious subjects, and it does not always have happy endings, so it could called a "dramedy". One episode has Buffy making friends with a terminally ill girl (played Eve Plumb, who would later be Jan on The Brady Bunch). Uncle Bill arranges for doctors for the girl, it looks like there may be a miracle cure, but...it doesn't happen. Other shows dealt with divorce, latch key kids, bullying. 

Many old time Hollywood stars had guest roles on here-Myrna Loy, Jackie Coogan, Joan Blondell, Martha Hyer, June Lockhart, Patric Knowles, and Ida Lupino. Dana Andrews has one of the most memorable roles as an old friend of Uncle Bill's, who was just released from prison and Bill wants to help him to get a job. Buffy and Jody are afraid he might rob them.

Anyone else a fan of this show?

Not a fan, but when I was a kid, the girl next door stopped down everything at 10 AM (Central) every day to watch the reruns on CBS's daytime schedule.   It was definitely appointment television for her.  I'd watch it with her, but I was ambivalent about it.  They had a color set, while we still had B&W, so that was a treat.  She had a Mrs. Beasley doll, of course.

• Like 2

Is Your Honeymoon Really Necessary? (1953)

A man divorces his wife. He later marries a much less brash, much less blond and much less chesty young lady. His first wife appears on the wedding night to announce his California divorce is not legal in England. Hilarity ensues.

This is a charming little forty-minute movie. It is a shame that it runs eighty minutes. There is no rapid patter. Each line of the script is said clearly and distinctly and no one steps on others' lines. Even the occasional pratfalls are like watching slapstick in slo-mo. It never quite breaks the barrier into boring but the pace is quite lethargic. 

I found Diana Dors as the bombshell first wife to be quite delightful! She is the highpoint of the movie even when she is standing up. She must have an innate sense of camera angles because every scene has her artlessly posing to best display her attributes. She carries to perfection the role of a well-fed cat playing with mice while leaving no doubt in any person's mind that she can and will eat them alive with no warning when the mood strikes. 

David Tomlinson as a befuddled lawyer is one of the mice. He had a crush on her before her marriage and never fully recovered. She understands him well and is genuinely fond of him but she does so love making him squirm. I did need more than a moment to recognize him because he seems decades younger than he did in his role as: George Banks in: Mary Poppins (1964).

Bonar Colleano as the serial groom makes me think that that is what James Gleason was like when very young and had not yet honed his acting skills. I am sorry to say that I did not find him believable in the role because he has neither the looks nor the charm to cause so many women to fall for him.

The remainder of the cast are quite competent but I found none outstanding. Several are quite wonderful in other roles in other movies. 

It is quite clearly the script and the director which prevented this from being a great movie. There are many wonderful lines but the spacing of them is erratic and they do not build to a great moment. I believe the director should be the poster boy for what happens when half of your diet is a salad of Valium, Seconal and Chardonnay.

Included with no extra fees on Amazon Prime Video.

6.6/11.8

• Thanks 2

I remember being shocked when hearing that Buffy of Family Affair died very young.  I think John Williams took over for Sebastian Cabot at one point.  Buffy had the doll.  What was weird for me was that like My Three Sons we had single parent families (usually through death).  Remember Julia also.

Not sure what I will watch tonight.  On demand from TCM is The Strange Love or Loves of Martha Ivers, could start The Greatest Show (TCM's circus night at the movies), or just do some L&O repeats and Blue Blood repeats.