Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Total Waste of Space on the DVR

speedracer5

This thread is meant to be a counter thread to "I Just Watched..."  You don't necessarily have to have recorded a particular film, this is meant for any film that you watched recently that was a waste of time.  This is not limited to films aired on TCM.

I mentioned this film in another thread, but the most recent waste of space on the DVR film I watched was Three Little Girls in Blue

I originally recorded Three Little Girls in Blue because I'm a big fan of Vera-Ellen.  I hardly recognized Vera-Ellen in this film.  While I didn't think she was fat by any means (she wasn't), in contrast to her appearance in On the Town and White Christmas, she looked very different.  I didn't like this film.  It was corny and corny in a bad way.  It was a remake of Moon Over Miami.  Moon Over Miami was a much better film.  There weren't enough jazzy Vera-Ellen dance numbers in this film for my taste and the overall acting was poor.  Vera-Ellen's biggest dance number, You Make Me Feel So Young (later popularized by Frank Sinatra) was such a bizarre dance number and lacked the "sparkle" that so many other musicals from that time had. 

You & I are in the same boat....I had just finished Debbie Reynolds' autobiography UNSINKABLE and she went through her career movie by movie in the last section.

She had mentioned HIT THE DECK a movie she made with Jane Powell & Russ Tamblyn, two big faves of mine (along with Debbie & Ann Miller) I thought, "how could I have never SEEN this one?"

While I loved every scene Russ Tamblyn was in, his adorable smile could not save this film. The dance numbers were good (Hermes Pan), the costumes were gorgeous, but the songs were uninspired. 

The story was kind of sordid and I just couldn't understand the charactor's motivation. I found it incredibly distasteful seeing gorgeous Janie going after an old coot. 

Amazing with all that talent, this musical could fall flat too. Wonder what happened?

The Lone Ranger (2013) directed by Gore Verbinski.

Should I have been surprised?  It does have some entertaining moments in it to be fair.

But what is with these modern CGI action stunts where a person is hurled 500 yards at lightning speed amidst a ton of train wreckage and lands completely unscathed, let alone not dead?

It is comic book stuff to be sure, but this sort of action is continuously creeping into films about mere mortals.  Very tiresome.  There are no consequences for the main characters any longer.

Did I mention that Johnny Depp is dreadful?  A real raspberry award winner there.  

• Like 1

This thread is meant to be a counter thread to "I Just Watched..."  You don't necessarily have to have recorded a particular film, this is meant for any film that you watched recently that was a waste of time.  This is not limited to films aired on TCM.

Great new thread, speedracer.

Thanks for starting this one.

This thread is meant to be a counter thread to "I Just Watched..." You don't necessarily have to have recorded a particular film, this is meant for any film that you watched recently that was a waste of time. This is not limited to films aired on TCM.

I mentioned this film in another thread, but the most recent waste of space on the DVR film I watched was Three Little Girls in Blue.

I originally recorded Three Little Girls in Blue because I'm a big fan of Vera-Ellen. I hardly recognized Vera-Ellen in this film. While I didn't think she was fat by any means (she wasn't), in contrast to her appearance in On the Town and White Christmas, she looked very different. I didn't like this film. It was corny and corny in a bad way. It was a remake of Moon Over Miami. Moon Over Miami was a much better film. There weren't enough jazzy Vera-Ellen dance numbers in this film for my taste and the overall acting was poor. Vera-Ellen's biggest dance number, You Make Me Feel So Young (later popularized by Frank Sinatra) was such a bizarre dance number and lacked the "sparkle" that so many other musicals from that time had.

Vera Ellen probably didn't get much because she was third on the totem pole of the three little girls; she wasn't under contract to Fox, so...... First up was June Haver, the studio's up and coming blonde, which Fox was promoting as a possible successor to Betty Grable, their top star. Second was Vivian Blaine, for which Fox had hoped would replace another of their musical blonde stars, Alice Faye, who had just left the studio in a huff, and was rejecting scripts and overtures of forgiveness left and right. However, Blaine saw the writing on the wall, when Haver was billed higher, and left after this movie. Of course she later found success and immortality as the stage.and.screen Adelaide.

Btw, THREE LITTLE GIRLS.IN BLUE is a period musical remake of MOON OVER MIAMI, which was a musical remake of the 1938 comedy, THREE BLIND MICE. The plot of three girls looking for rich husbands was a plot near and dear to Fox; there were variations prior to and after the aforementioned three films.

The first time I ever saw Vera Ellen was in the Marx Bros. flick Love Happy.  I was just a kid, but even at a young age, I realized she had a smokin' bod.

Yeah, but not as smokin' as Marilyn Monroe's in her bit in that film.

Well Rich, I suppose I DO have to admit that of all the stars from the Land of The Hyphenated People, Vera-Ellen probably came as close to bein' as hot as Ann-Margret was as anyone ever did!

Well Rich, I suppose I DO have to admit that of all the stars from the Land of The Hyphenated People, Vera-Ellen probably came as close to bein' as hot as Ann-Margret was as anyone ever did!

But definitely not as hot as Terry-Thomas.

/ducking

You & I are in the same boat....I had just finished Debbie Reynolds' autobiography UNSINKABLE and she went through her career movie by movie in the last section.

She had mentioned HIT THE DECK a movie she made with Jane Powell & Russ Tamblyn, two big faves of mine (along with Debbie & Ann Miller) I thought, "how could I have never SEEN this one?"

While I loved every scene Russ Tamblyn was in, his adorable smile could not save this film. The dance numbers were good (Hermes Pan), the costumes were gorgeous, but the songs were uninspired. 

The story was kind of sordid and I just couldn't understand the charactor's motivation. I found it incredibly distasteful seeing gorgeous Janie going after an old coot. 

Amazing with all that talent, this musical could fall flat too. Wonder what happened?

Interesting.  I'll have to look out for this one, if only to see the dance numbers.  I'll admit that I haven't been impressed by Powell.  Not that I think she's bad or anything, maybe I just haven't seen the right Jane Powell film.  I thought she was so-so in Royal Wedding (a film really only interesting for Fred Astaire's dancing on the ceiling number imo). 

I understand that Powell and Reynolds share a birthday and always celebrate together every year. 

I love Reynolds in pretty much everything I've seen her in, she's a very likeable person and very talented. 

It's a shame that the talent in this film didn't come together in the right way to make a great film. 

So I've been trying to get through all the Doris Day musicals I recorded the other day and I found one that was a total dud.

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

This was the sequel to On Moonlight Bay.  I discussed OMB in the "I Just Watched..." thread.  I still find Gordon MacRae to be about as interesting as an unsalted, unflavored rice cake.  Doris, on the other hand, has a personality and is fun to watch.  By the Light of the Silvery Moon however, was boring-- I don't know what it was about the film that I didn't like, but I lost interest in the film once everyone in town thought that Leon Ames was having an affair.  The best thing about this film was the title song that is performed by Day and MacRae in the film. 

So I've been trying to get through all the Doris Day musicals I recorded the other day and I found one that was a total dud.

By the Light of the Silvery Moon

This was the sequel to On Moonlight Bay. I discussed OMB in the "I Just Watched..." thread. I still find Gordon MacRae to be about as interesting as an unsalted, unflavored rice cake. Doris, on the other hand, has a personality and is fun to watch. By the Light of the Silvery Moon however, was boring-- I don't know what it was about the film that I didn't like, but I lost interest in the film once everyone in town thought that Leon Ames was having an affair. The best thing about this film was the title song that is performed by Day and MacRae in the film.

Imo, I.think Doris.Day's least.appealing costar.was probably Ray Bolger in APRIL IN PARIS And I can't even tell.you why, since I like the guy, maybe just not with Doris.

Imo, I.think Doris.Day's least.appealing costar.was probably Ray Bolger in APRIL SHOWERS. And I can't even tell.you why, since I like the guy, maybe just not with Doris.

ooh I haven't seen that one.  I've seen him in some other movies, but imo, he's best in The Wizard of Oz.  The other film I saw him in I thought he was kind of annoying.  I just can't picture him and Doris together. 

Some time ago I watched When Nature Calls aka The Outdoorsters (1985) as it featured a cast with G. Gordon Liddy, Willie Mays and Morie Amsterdam.

The eclectic casting could not save it I'm afraid.  And I'm often a big fan of "it's so bad it's good" cheesy movies.

I saw you mentioned DAYS OF.WINE.AND ROSES another.thread. I seriously doubt it will.make.this.thread on,e.you've seen it.

You don't mean me, do you?  I've seen it a number of times and loved it.  Lemmon never better.  And can't get enough of Lee Remick.

The movie with Doris Day and Ray Bolger is APRIL IN PARIS (1952).  I saw it on TCM a while back.  I admit part of the reason I watched all the way through was because the coupling of Doris and Ray is soooooo mis-matched it impelled me to pay attention!  I thought Doris and Ray were likeable enough, but they just don't look like they belong together despite their amiability.  That said, I would watch the movie again because it DID entertain me, even if not the way the filmmakers intended.  

Trivia:  The 1990 Leonard Maltin guide has a different write-up of the movie than the 2nd edition of the LM Classic Movie Guide.  However, the rating was the same:  **½ stars out of **** meaning it's "worth watching". 

------------------------

APRIL SHOWERS is a 1948 movie with Jack Carson and Ann Sothern, btw.       

I'll admit that I haven't been impressed by Powell.  Not that I think she's bad or anything, maybe I just haven't seen the right Jane Powell film.  I thought she was so-so in Royal Wedding (a film really only interesting for Fred Astaire's dancing on the ceiling number imo). 

Whoa....really?

I think Janie's number in Royal Wedding with Fred "You Know He's A Liar" is one of the best numbers in film EVER!  Fred and Janie  are both just adorable in that.

Maybe you should watch SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS to get a better feel for Jane Powell's talent. She sings beautifully and is a good actress with lots of screen time. The dancing is legendary and although I used to think the storyline was kind of sordid, I found it rather humorous once I actually saw it in it's entirety (with fun zinger ending)

Janie is the star and carries the entire film along with hunky Howard Keel. And you have the bonus of Russ Tamblyn!

• Like 2

Imo, I.think Doris.Day's least.appealing costar.was probably Ray Bolger in APRIL SHOWERS. And I can't even tell.you why, since I like the guy, maybe just not with Doris.

I agree. there was no on screen chemistry between Ray Bolger and Doris Day in April In Paris. It's my least favorite of her musicals and that's the reason. Doris has said she did not like the film and there was trouble on the set. She liked Ray Bolger, but said that Bolger and the director David Butler did not get along. The director had to stop in the middle of a few scenes, telling Bolger that he was up staging her.

He (Bolger) said "I'm doing no such thing" Butler replied "I've warned you about that" Bolger-"I don't give a d-a-m-n what you've warned"

"Well you may as well play it straight because I can always take care of things in the cutting room" Bolger replied "And I can take care of you with Jack Warner". Doris said that the technical people all agreed with the director and that Bolger was a master at scene stealing. Doris wrote that all that coolness between the 2 men made the film less than an enjoyable experience for her.

• Like 1