Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Playhouse 90 Update

manderstoke

Somewhere there's another thread on this topic, but I couldn't find it.  Anyway, bad news here for those wanting to find episodes from this early TV program.  In the May issue of "Classic Images", Greenland reports in his column that many of the early episodes aired live and are thought to be lost forever.  Even access to those that were taped would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, because they would have to be negotiated with the estates of various screenwriters and authors.  So, it doesn't sound at all promising.  I've been wanting to purchase six early episodes, but don't think that is ever going to happen.

Somewhere there's another thread on this topic, but I couldn't find it.  Anyway, bad news here for those wanting to find episodes from this early TV program.  In the May issue of "Classic Images", Greenland reports in his column that many of the early episodes aired live and are thought to be lost forever.  Even access to those that were taped would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, because they would have to be negotiated with the estates of various screenwriters and authors.  So, it doesn't sound at all promising.  I've been wanting to purchase six early episodes, but don't think that is ever going to happen.

I know the first two exist, including the famous "Requiem for a Heavyweight".

Several Studio One episodes were released on DVD a few years ago. If that can happen, PH90 can happen.

Which six are you looking for? I especially want to see The Last Tycoon with Jack Palance and The Great Gatsby with Robert Ryan.

Here are some interesting articles on Playhouse 90:

http://www.avclub.com/article/playhouse-90-refined-live-tvand-then-killed-it-202168

https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/90/

Maureen Stapleton, Steven Hill, Nehemiah Persoff, Maria Schell, Jason Robards, and Eli Wallach in the Playhouse 90 production of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (March 12, 1959).

5tqmZN0.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a set of dvds of dozens of Playhouse 90 a couple of years back from an online dealer. Don't know if they were in the public somain, or their legal status. The quality varied from episode to episode, but was fair to average overall.

• Like 1

I bought a set of dvds of dozens of Playhouse 90 a couple of years back from an online dealer. Don't know if they were in the public somain, or their legal status. The quality varied from episode to episode, but was fair to average overall.

Would you share this information, please.  I am looking for 6 episodes with Mason in them and had zero success in finding them.

The Playhouse 90 episodes that I want are:

1.  "The Thundering Wave" (1957)

2.  "Not the Glory" (1958)

3.  "The Second Man" (1959)

4.  "John Brown's Raid (1960)

5.  "The Hiding Place (1960)

Correction: in an earlier post, I said there were 6 episodes, but there are only 5.

Would you share this information, please.  I am looking for 6 episodes with Mason in them and had zero success in finding them.

I will check when I get a chance. I wanna say that the site where I found this set online, had a listing of all the episodes offered. I was looking for one in particular; in my obsession.for all things Linda Darnell, I got the set because it included "Homeward Borne", in shich she starred. It was filmed, not done live, in 1957, amd was.later released in certain areas to movie theaters.

• Like 1

Thank you Arturo.  I've got my fingers crossed.

On another topic and for those interested, it is my understanding that the General Electric Playhouse shows are housed in the Reagan Library.  I am guessing that they would be available for viewing.

I know the first two exist, including the famous "Requiem for a Heavyweight".

Several Studio One episodes were released on DVD a few years ago. If that can happen, PH90 can happen.

Which six are you looking for? I especially want to see The Last Tycoon with Jack Palance and The Great Gatsby with Robert Ryan.

Here are some interesting articles on Playhouse 90:

http://www.avclub.com/article/playhouse-90-refined-live-tvand-then-killed-it-202168

https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2014/03/28/90/

Maureen Stapleton, Steven Hill, Nehemiah Persoff, Maria Schell, Jason Robards, and Eli Wallach in the Playhouse 90 production of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (March 12, 1959).

5tqmZN0.jpg

Thank you, very interesting articles.

I'm disappointed that i don't remember some of these. It's a shame they are now so rare. The only scene i can remember well was a drama where Van Heflen was mortified by this bath tab that was jerry rigged to serve as a torture chamber. Anyone remember which one that was?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings