Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loss of a funny lady

NipkowDisc

Anne Meara developed into a fine actress as evidenced by her short-lived 1975 drama series "Kate McShane," which lasted only a couple of months on CBS. For her performances as an attorney, she received a 1975-1976 Primetime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. Jerry Stiller also dabbled in dramatic roles, most notably as a transit cop in the 1974 suspense thriller "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three." 

It's likely that their dramatic roles also inspired their son Ben Stiller, who appears in non-comedic projects from time to time. 

Meara remembered "Kate McShane" in an archival interview for EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG:

Sorry to hear this. Her and her husband's comedy routines on the Ed Sullivan Show were always one of my favorites.

(...R.I.P. Anne)

Beat me to it, Darg!  My sentiments exactly!  That's where I first became acquainted with both Jerry Stiller and Anne.  LOVED when showed up on the program!  Funny pair.  As a solo actress, she shined just as bright as hubby Jerry did solo, too.  Sad to learn of her death this weekend. 

She would occasionally guest on, and then join the cast of ex "dead end" kid GABRIEL DELL'S TV show THE CORNER BAR back in the early '70's. 

RIP, Anne.  :(

Sepiatone

Stiller and Meara, who had been married since 1954, displayed great chemistry in interviews. Here's one from msnbc's "Morning Joe" program on May 18, 2012, in which they recalled how they met:

Anne Meara was a very funny lady.

I first heard of Stiller and Meara on the Ed Sullivan Show but became a big fan when they were part of the ensemble on the Shelley Berman comedy album The Sex Life of the Primate (1964). Their routines were screamingly funny.

she looked so nice in her tiara.

so long, funny lady.

It's one of my oldest memories - sitting on the living room floor at grandpa's house after supper on a Sunday evening with all the adults, watching the old tiny black and white - the Ed Sullivan show and laughing at Stiller and Meara.

All my life since the, whenever she'd pop up in anything, I'd think "There's Meara".

Nothing lasts forever. I'm sad.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings