Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Elementary, my dear Watson."

-- Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) to Dr. John Watson (Nigel Bruce) in "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon" (1942). Although the famous sleuth never said these exact words in anything written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the phrase has popped up many times in adaptations by others.

"We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that."

-- The British Prime Minister (Hugh Grant), standing up to the U.S. President (Billy Bob Thornton) in "Love Actually" (2003). 

"I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are really good at heart."

-- Anne Frank (Millie Perkins) in "The Diary of Anne Frank" (1959).

• Like 1

"...you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

San Francisco Police Inspector Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) to the Scorpio Killer (Andrew Robinson) in "Dirty Harry" (1971).

"Does your dog bite?"

-- Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Peter Sellers) to a Munich hotel clerk (Graham Stark) in "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" (1976).

"Mein Führer, I can walk!"

-- German-born White House adviser Dr. Strangelove (Peter Sellers) in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964).

"In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."

-- Chance (Peter Sellers), the simple-minded gardener who mistakenly becomes a White House guru in "Being There" (1979).

"Occasionally, it seems to have...too many notes."

-- The Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II (Jeffrey Jones) critiquing a musical piece by composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Tom Hulce) in "Amadeus" (1984).

"Pain!"

-- Contender Clubber Lang (Mr. T) predicts the result of his heavyweight championship bout with Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) in "Rocky III" (1982).

"Get off my plane!"

-- U.S. President James Marshall (Harrison Ford) to Russian terrorist Ivan Korshunov (Gary Oldman) in "Air Force One" (1997).

"Every one of you listening to my voice, tell the world. Tell this to everybody, wherever they are. Watch the skies, everywhere, keep looking. Keep watching the skies."

from The Thing From Another World (1951)