Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Major Harvey Stovall answering to General Frank Savage about delaying the paper work from the pilots:

"Sir, I’m a lawyer by trade. I'd like to think I’m a good one. When a lawyer takes on a client, he believes in his case. That’s all that matters. When I came over here, I took on my biggest client, the 918th. I want my client to win its case. Does that answer you question?"

from Twelve O'Clock High (1949)

"All right Hobbs, knock the cover off the ball!" 

-- New York Knights manager Pop Fisher (Wilford Brimley) to Roy Hobbs (Robert Redford), who is making his first big-league plate appearance in "The Natural" (1984).

"There's no crying in baseball!"

-- Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), manager of the Rockford Peaches, a 1940s all-women's baseball team in "A League of Their Own" (1992).

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again." 

-- Author Terence Mann (James Earl Jones) to Ray Kinsella (Costner) in "Field of Dreams" (1989).

"I coulda been better. I coulda broke every record in the book...And then? And then when I walked down the street people would've looked and they would've said there goes Roy Hobbs, the best there ever was in this game."

-- Pitcher-turned-slugger Hobbs (Robert Redford) to Iris Gaines (Glenn Close) in "The Natural" (1984).

Image result for robert redford, glenn close

"Rock, someday when the team's up against it and the breaks are beating the boys, ask them to go in there with all they've got and win just one for the Gipper. I don't know where I'll be then but I'll know about it, and I'll be happy."

-- Doomed Notre Dame halfback George Gipp (Ronald Reagan) to Coach Knute Rockne (Pat O'Brien) in "Knute Rockne All American" (1940).

"Where's the rest of me?" 

-- Drake McHugh (Ronald Reagan) to his wife Randy (Ann Sheridan) in "Kings Row" (1942), after discovering that both of his legs have been amputated 

"I have been, and always shall be, your friend."

-- Mr. Spock (Leonard Nimoy) to Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner) in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" (1982). 

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy..."

-- British double agent Major John Smith (Richard Burton) urgently tries to contact headquarters in "Where Eagles Dare" (1969), while Lt. Morris Schaffer (Clint Eastwood), an American Army Ranger, holds off Nazi 

pursuers.

One might, in here anyway, make the mistake of thinking a "great one-liner" from a movie is that line that's pivotal or memorable in the course of a film.  NOT just any line uttered of inconsequential value(or little, in most cases lately) that can be culled in a YouTube clip.  Like Jakeem's down there.  NOT really all that memorable, or plot advancing or witty or clever.  Just another line of thousands from a not so impressive film.

Certainly lacking the impact of Lauren Bacall telling Bogey in To Have Or Have Not how the kissing is "even BETTER when you HELP."

If this is decaying into a glut of posters showing off their YouTube posting skills, then I guess this thread is technically dead.

Sepiatone

Don't give up the ship..err..the thread here, Sepia!...

tumblr_lu9h2aEbKs1r1x0ppo1_1280.jpg

"I was going to thrash them within an inch of their lives, but I didn't have a tape measure!"

-The One, The Only in GO WEST

"Sorry we hurt your field, mister."

-- George Harrison in "A Hard Day's Night" (1964), after a man scolds him and the other Beatles for romping on private property. This occurs after the first performance of "Can't Buy Me Love" in the movie.

Closing in on 2,500 views since May 25!  Hey, let's throw a party!!

There's some cyber cake for you ... and some for you.

I'll stick to vodka tonic thank you.

• Like 1

"Look, Daddy! Teacher says, 'Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.' "

-- Zuzu Bailey (Karolyn Grimes) to George Bailey (James Stewart) in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946).

"Wax on, wax off."

-- Mr. Miyagi (Noriyuki "Pat" Morita) begins to teach karate moves to his student Daniel (Ralph Macchio) in "The Karate Kid" (1984).

"Give 'em hell, 54th!"

-- A white Union soldier from the 10th Connecticut (Kevin Jarre) shouts encouragement to the all-black 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry before a Civil War battle in "Glory" (1989).

"Practice makes perfect."

--  Young Bart Collins (Tommy Rettig), quoting the demanding Dr. Terwilliker (Hans Conreid) in "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T" (1953).

"Ah, sure now that's what I call a hell of a man!"

-- Private Flanagan (Sir Sean Connery), expressing admiration for the savvy of British Royal Navy Captain Colin Maud (Kenneth More) on June 6, 1944 in "The Longest Day" (1962).  

• "Aye, I like his dog, too!"

-- Private Clough (Norman Rossington).

Image result for the longest day sean connery