Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

-- Tanya (Marlene Dietrich) in "Touch of Evil" (1958), referring to Police Captain Hank Quinlan (Orson Welles). 

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

-- Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) to daughter Scout (Mary Badham) in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962).

• Like 3

"What are you gonna do? Bleed on me?"

-- King Arthur (Graham Chapman), after getting the best of The Black Knight (John Cleese) in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (1975).

HolyGrail020.jpg

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

-- Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck) to daughter Scout (Mary Badham) in "To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962).

My favorite line in the movie, and in the book, builds off of that:

“One time, Atticus said, ‘You never really knew a man until you stood in his shoes and walked around in them.” Just standing on the Radley porch was enough.”

-- Scout

“Look here, priest, enough with the sermon. It sounded interesting, at least while I kept out of the rain; but if it’s a sermon, I’d sooner listen to the rain.”

-- Man at gate

Rashomon

"Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

-- Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) to Ilsa Lund Lazlo (Ingrid Bergman) in "Casablanca" (1942).

"As if!" 

-- High school student Cherilyn "Cher" Horowitz (Alicia Silverstone), expressing distaste for the antics of a classmate in "Clueless" (1995). 

"That'll do, pig. That'll do."

-- Farmer Hoggett (James Cromwell) in "Babe" (1995), after his plucky little "sheep-pig" wins a British sheep-herding competition.

"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or from the air, and I plan on doing both before the war is over."

-- U.S. Army Air Force Captain Virgil Hilts (Steve McQueen) -- "The Cooler King" -- in "The Great Escape" (1963), after being caught too close to a German POW camp's wire fence.

"Madness...Madness."

-- Major Clipton (James Donald), the British medical officer in a Japanese POW camp in Burma in "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957).

• Like 1
"Oh, face it, Mama. I was the **** of all time."

-- Gloria Wandrous (Elizabeth Taylor) to her mother (Mildred Dunnock) in "BUtterfield 8" (1960).

• Like 1

"Doctor, you have testified that the following symptoms exist in Lieutenant-Commander Queeg's behavior ... rigidity of personality, feelings of persecution, unreasonable suspicion, a mania for perfection, and a neurotic certainty that he is always in the right."

Jose Ferrer in The Caine Mutiny

• Like 2

"My father taught me many things here. He taught me in this room. He taught me: Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."

-- Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) to Frankie Pentangeli (Michael V. Gazzo) in "The Godfather Part II" (1974). 

( Sunset Blvd -'50 )

~"Look at this street...all cardboard,all hollow,all phony,

all done with mirrors...You know,I like it better than any street in the world."~Nancy Olson

That sums up my fascination with backlots,facades and theme park design pefectly.

"This is the people's war! It is our war! We are the fighters! Fight it, then! Fight it with all that is in us, and may God defend the right."

-- The Vicar (Henry Wilcoxon) in "Mrs. Miniver" (1942), after the British homefront sustains painful losses during World War II.

• Like 1