Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well, I'm not licked. And I'm gonna stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these, and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody'll listen to me."

-- U.S. Senator Jefferson Smith (James Stewart), near the end of his filibuster in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939).

• Like 2
"Know what I always say no matter what the weather is? I say, 'Why don't you get out of that wet coat and into a dry martini?' "

-- Albert Osborne (Robert Benchley) to Susan Applegate (Ginger Rogers) in "The Major and the Minor" (1942).

• Like 1
"You ask me if I have a God complex. Let me tell you something. I am God."

-- Dr. Jed Hill (Alec Baldwin) in "Malice" (1993), after controversial decisions he made during surgery he performed on Tracy Safian (Nicole Kidman).

"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

-- Welton Academy English teacher John Keating (Robin Williams) in "Dead Poets Society" (1989), providing a message from students of the past.

• Like 1
"If they move, kill 'em."

-- Pike Bishop (William Holden) in "The Wild Bunch" (1969), preparing to pull off a bold robbery with his gang at a Texas town's railroad office.

"We put all the rotten eggs in one basket"

- Hannes Messmer as Oberst Von Luger in The Great Escape

Hannes turned 91 May 17th - NOT

*****Edit******  A fellow member kindly pointed out to me in PM that Messemer passed away some time ago.  He didn't wish to publicly embarrass me for this faux pas.  I guess the imdb doesn't know everything!

So dear old Hannes won't be celebrating any more birthdays, I'm afraid.  I enjoyed his performance in General Della Rovere too by the way.

"It looks, after all, as if you will see Berlin before I do."

-- Oberst von Luger (Hannes Messemer) to Captain Hilts (Steve McQueen) in "The Great Escape" (1963), after the German officer loses command of his POW camp.

"I am--Tondelayo."

Hedy Lamarrs' first appearance in White Cargo (1942).

Hedy Lamarr to Richard Carlson: I'm married to you for five months, and you not beat me once! Please beat me.

• Like 2

Hedy Lamarr to Richard Carlson: I'm married to you for five months, and you not beat me once! Please beat me.

Bramwell Fletcher

"It sure is a bloody 'ot one out today, isn't it?"

Walter Pidgeon: (smashes glass on floor) 

"YOU BLASTED FOOL!  I'VE BEEN WAITING ALL WEEK JUST TO HEAR YOU SAY THAT!!

• Like 2

Bramwell Fletcher

"It sure is a bloody 'ot one out today, isn't it?"

Bramwell Fletcher (mad laughter) to Arthur Byron and Edward Van Sloan in The Mummy (1932):

"He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!"

• Like 2

MovieCollectorOH--do you remember which episode of I Love Lucy Lucille Ball did the take on Tondelayo on??  I missed that one *&^% it! --Lucy as Tondelayo would have me laughing till I cried!

Sorry, no.  That was just that line.  She said it as a comeback I think.  It did get a big laugh from her audience.  It probably went over the heads of those who post quotes and references on IMDB, but I picked up on it, having already been a fan of White Cargo.

• Like 1

The What do you want? question Mordan asked Vir on "Babylon 5 - Episode In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum"

Vir....I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike, as a warning to the next 10 generations that some things come with too high a price.  I'll look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this.

frQVkfQ.jpg

MovieCollectorOH--do you remember which episode of I Love Lucy Lucille Ball did the take on Tondelayo on??  I missed that one *&^% it! --Lucy as Tondelayo would have me laughing till I cried!

I posted a query over on IMDB, maybe someone over there will follow up.

• Like 1
"It wasn't anybody's fault but my own. I was looking...up at the 102nd floor. It was the nearest

thing to heaven. You see, you were there."

-- Terry McKay (Irene Dunne) in "Love Affair" (1939), explaining to Michel Marnet (Charles Boyer) why she never kept a prearranged date with him at the Empire State Building.

"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."

-- Dr. Rumack (Leslie Nielsen) in "Airplane!" (1980), responding to Ted Striker's line: "Surely, you can't be serious."

• Like 1

"When it comes to dying for your country it's better not to die at all! There are millions out there dying for their countries, and what good is it?"

-- World War I German soldier Paul Bäumer (Lew Ayres) in "All Quiet on the Western Front" (1930), addressing students at his old school.

• Like 1

"Follow the money."

-- Watergate source "Deep Throat" (Hal Holbrook) makes a suggestion to Washington Post investigative reporter Bob Woodward (Robert Redford) in "All the President's Men" (1976).