Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogie56

Great One-Liners

“Your mother sews socks that smell!”

-- This was the edited-for-television version of what the demon-possessed Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair) said at one point in William Friedkin's "The Exorcist" (1973). The actual line simply can't be used here. Academy Award winner Mercedes McCambridge ("All the King's Men") provided the demon's voice.

I can't provide clips, so y'all are gonna have to rely on your ACTUAL MEMORIES!  :o

I always liked Walter Matthau's line as Oscar to Lemmon's Felix in THE ODD COUPLE:

"If you have something on your chest besides your chin, get it off!"

Sepiatone

It isn't one line, but Sepiatone's entry reminded me of this gem from Matthau as Oscar Madison in "The Odd Couple":

"Told you 158 times I cannot stand little notes on my pillow! 'We are all out of cornflakes, F.U.' Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!"

tumblr_mwbk71mSHQ1qjx6n6o1_500.gif

"Die Hard" (1988) the 2 FBI agents introducing themselves - one is black the other white.

Agent Johnson.....I'm Agent Johnson, this is Special Agent Johnson.

Dwayne Robinson....Oh, how you doin'

Agent Johnson.....No relation.

from The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974)...

Rico Petrone: "wait a minute, I think I just figured out how they're gonna get away."

Lt. Zachary Garber: "How, Rico?

Rico Petrone: "They're going to fly the train to Cuba."

:lol: 

"It's good to be the king!"

-- King Lous XVI of France (Mel Brooks) in "Mel Brooks' History of the World, Part I" (1981).

"Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives, and when he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"

-- Angel Second Class Clarence Odbody (Henry Travers) to George Bailey (James Stewart) in Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946).

• Like 2

"We are the Pros from Dover and we figure to crack this kid's chest and get out to the golf course before it gets dark."

-- Army surgeon Trapper John McIntyre (Elliott Gould) in "M*A*S*H" (1970). 

from The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three (1974)...

Rico Petrone: "wait a minute, I think I just figured out how they're gonna get away."

Lt. Zachary Garber: "How, Rico?

Rico Petrone: "They're going to fly the train to Cuba."

:lol: 

Yeah, that's a good one from a good movie.  I also liked the line the mayor said when told the highjackers didn't really have anything personal against HIM---"Why?  They from out of town?"  I can't remember exactly what lead up to him using that line, but the line was good.

Sepiatone

"The closer you get to Canada, the more things there are that eat your horse."

--Jack Nicholson, The Missouri Breaks

ChinaGittesCross2.jpg

"Ya see Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact..the right time, the right place, they're capable of anything."

-John Huston in CHINATOWN

"Mother-m-mother, uh, what is the phrase? She isn't quite herself today."

-- Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), proprietor of the Bates Motel in Sir Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960).

"You never got me down, Ray!"

-- Boxer Jake LaMotta (Robert De Niro) to Sugar Ray Robinson (Johnny Barnes) in "Raging Bull" (1980), after their sixth and final fight on February 14, 1951. The world middleweight championship bout became known as "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre" because of Robinson's pummeling of LaMotta. Although Robinson won the title via a technical knockout, the deposed champion LaMotta managed to stay on his feet.

"Captain, it is I, Ensign Pulver, and I just threw your stinkin' palm tree overboard. Now what's all this crud about no movie tonight?"

-- Ensign Frank Pulver (Jack Lemmon) to the captain of the USS Reluctant (James Cagney) in "Mister Roberts" (1955).

• Like 1

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

-- UBS Evening News anchorman Howard Beale (Peter Finch) in "Network" (1976).

"That's the press, baby. The press. And there's nothing you can do about it. Nothing!"

-- Ed Hutcheson (Humphrey Bogart), editor of the New York newspaper The Day, to the menacing mobster Tomas Rienzi (Martin Gabel) in "Deadline U.S.A." (1952).