Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help!! I've been looking for years for the name of this film

Lady Arwen

About 20 years ago, I saw a film which had just started, but unfortunately the title must have already displayed. It started with an old man and his doctor, in the bedroom of the old man, and the old man's son. The doctor checks out the old man, then brings his son outside the room to tell him his father won't last the night. The man phones a woman presumedly his fiancee, because his father wanted to meet her. She says her and her mother have been trying to fly there, but flights aren't available because of a storm. He walks out of the house upset, tyhen notices a woman trying to get a taxi. He asks her to be his fiancee for the night. She of course objects but he explains the situation to her and she agrees. The man's father adores her and she adores him. The son thanks her and they part. The next day, the man's father wakes up saying he's hungry. He wants to see his son's fiancee but of course his son doesn't know what to do.His real fiancee comes finally along with her mother and he doesn't want to stress his father out by telling him the truth. He decides to go looking for the fake fiancee who obviously is a better match for him than his real fiancee.  It progresses from there and is such a wonderful movie! I would love to be able to own the movie and sharing it with my children would make me thrilled! I know they would love it as much as I did. Please help!!

• Like 1

About 20 years ago, I saw a film which had just started, but unfortunately the title must have already displayed. It started with an old man and his doctor, in the bedroom of the old man, and the old man's son. The doctor checks out the old man, then brings his son outside the room to tell him his father won't last the night. The man phones a woman presumedly his fiancee, because his father wanted to meet her. She says her and her mother have been trying to fly there, but flights aren't available because of a storm. He walks out of the house upset, tyhen notices a woman trying to get a taxi. He asks her to be his fiancee for the night. She of course objects but he explains the situation to her and she agrees. The man's father adores her and she adores him. The son thanks her and they part. The next day, the man's father wakes up saying he's hungry. He wants to see his son's fiancee but of course his son doesn't know what to do.His real fiancee comes finally along with her mother and he doesn't want to stress his father out by telling him the truth. He decides to go looking for the fake fiancee who obviously is a better match for him than his real fiancee.  It progresses from there and is such a wonderful movie! I would love to be able to own the movie and sharing it with my children would make me thrilled! I know they would love it as much as I did. Please help!!

There are 2 versions of this story. The first was a 1940's film called IT STARTED WITH EVE- It starred Robert Cummings and Deanna Durbin. The more recent version was in the 1960's called I'D RATHER BE RICH- that film starred Sandra Dee, Andy Williams, Robert Goulet. You can check TCM'S database for both films and also IMDB to get the synopsis of the film. TCM has shown IT STARTED WITH EVE, unfortunately I'D RATHER BE RICH has not been shown on TV in many years and is much requested in the TCM SUGGEST A MOVIE. I hope this info hopes and check AMAZON to see if either or both are available.  :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!! I obviously had seen the first, 'It Started With Eve' after checking the synopses for both. I would love to see the other too, but finding It Started With Eve is wonderful! My mom had watched it with me originally, I mentiined it the other day and she remembered and said she'd been looking for it also!! I will get a copy for us & her as a present for her birthday, she will be so surprised & happy! Thank you again, I greatly appreciate it! And, I will also request the other, newer version of the movie. God bless you!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!! I obviously had seen the first, 'It Started With Eve' after checking the synopses for both. I would love to see the other too, but finding It Started With Eve is wonderful! My mom had watched it with me originally, I mentiined it the other day and she remembered and said she'd been looking for it also!! I will get a copy for us & her as a present for her birthday, she will be so surprised & happy! Thank you again, I greatly appreciate it! And, I will also request the other, newer version of the movie. God bless you!

You are So Welcome and so glad to help. I haven't checked Amazon or TCM's site to see if either or both are available for purchase, I hope they are and hope you and your mom enjoy the films :)

ps I just checked TCM's SHOP site IT STARTED WITH EVE is available there for 14.99 on DVD and also on Amazon. I"D RATHER BE RICH isn't.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings