Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Levity (aka Fun Fun Fun)

misswonderly3

...til her daddy takes the T-Bird away.

Summertime's a comin' (let's hope the living will be easy), and it seems like a good time to think about FUN. As in, shirley one of the main reasons for watching movies is to HAVE FUN.

This could mean any number of things: comedies, yes, but also any movie that you just enjoy. This is not to say movies are not to be taken seriously.

But, perhaps oxymoronically  ("and don't call me a moron"), I think it's possible to derive some fun -some levity - out of even those "serious" films.

Or at least, if not watching them, discussing them.

I'm assuming that everyone here LOVES movies, so it follows that if we're doing something we love - ie, either watching or talking about movies - we will be having fun.

And of course, there's always the fun of watching a really bad film- there's a thread about that somewhere.

Good, bad, and sometimes even ugly films can bring us joy - shirley we needn't be all po-faced when discussing something that we all like so much.

You guys know me...yup, here's a definition of the word "levity" (hopefully we don't need a definition of "fun")"

"lev·i·ty
ˈlevədē/
noun
noun: levity; plural noun: levities
  1. humor or frivolity, especially the treatment of a serious matter with humor or in a manner lacking due respect.
    "as an attempt to introduce a note of levity, the words were a disastrous flop"
    synonyms: lightheartedness, high spirits, vivacity, liveliness, cheerfulness, cheeriness, humor, gaiety, fun, jocularity, hilarity, frivolity, amusement, mirth, laughter, merriment, glee, comedy, wit, wittiness, jollity, joviality
    "without some occasional levity, the working environment is no better than a sweatshop"
    antonyms:

seriousness "    

So I say, leave us wipe those po-faces from our stentorian brows, and celebrate frivolity.

My role models?  The Marx Brothers.  Oh, and the guys in Seinfeld. Oh, and  Bugs Bunny and co. (I know, sounds like another recent thread here.) Also Monty Python.

It's all about the Importance of NOT Being Ernest

edit: ps: I know I'm setting myself up with this line from the definition:

"as an attempt to introduce a note of levity, the words were a disastrous flop"

• Like 4

Being told by many, and for a long time that I have an "arid" sense of humor, levity is at it's most "fun" when you're pulling someone's leg, and they don't realize it!

Sepiatone

Ah, the old "keeping a straight face" ploy. When I do that here on the boards, sometimes I use that "plain face" emoticon. It's the closest thing (to being straight-faced.)

I have a feeling people don't really know how the hell to respond to this thread. That's all right, I really only introduced it to celebrate amusement in all its manifestations. And to say that it's ok to be talking about a film, even a "serious" film, and make a joke. As long as it's not a bad joke.

Well, if it's the best one can do, even then.

I think levity in life is very important.  Though it is important to know when is the right time to be serious and when it is the right time to make jokes, when talking about film, levity is always welcome.  Film discussions need not to be humorless and formal-- in fact, most normal conversation has a level of levity (or fun) in it.  Cracking jokes or what not is a way to break the ice and could also be a defense mechanism. 

In regard to film, I think having fun while watching a movie is probably the most important criteria.  A film doesn't need to be funny for someone to have fun watching it.  For instance, I just watched Days of Wine and Roses, definitely not a funny film but it was entertaining.  It was compelling and very tragic, however, it held my attention from beginning to end.  The worst crime for a film to commit, in my opinion, is to be boring.  If I find a film boring, then that's the end of the film for me. 

You have to be entertained when watching a film, otherwise, why are you watching it? Films that are the most entertaining to me are those that completely engross you in their world.  If you can't get into the story or don't find the setting interesting, or what not, then the film has failed.  With Days of Wine and Roses, while tragic, I was fully immersed in the world of an alcoholic.  I saw how desperate and how bleak that type of lifestyle can be.  Even the most serious film usually has a bit of levity in it.  Having little funny sight gags, or one liners or what not, keeps the audience entertained.  It keeps the film from feeling like a chore to watch.  People will lose interest in a film that is 100% serious.  

Like Miss Wonderly said, even a terrible film can be fun.  While sci-fi is not among my favorite genres, I do really like the bad 50s-60s sci fi movies because they're so absurd.  You escape into the absurdity of these films and are entertained by them.  Sometimes the funniest films are the films that take themselves seriously. 

Finally, I also like films for the pure escapist element.  You become engrossed in the setting through beautiful backgrounds, costumes, charismatic actors, compelling drama, etc. Where else but in the movies could you visit Sherwood Forest, the city of Casablanca in Morocco,  the Tara Plantation during the Civil War, and a Hollywood studio at the advent of the talkies? Where else but the movies could you (if you had a full day to spend) visit all these places in one day?  The movies contain many amazing settings to visit, characters to meet, songs to sing, battles to fight, etc.  A little bit of levity in life is never a bad thing-- even in the most serious of settings.

Not the movies, but remember that episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show when Chuckles the Clown, dressed up in a peanut costume, is killed by a rogue elephant? Throughout the first half of the episode, Lou, Murray, Ted and Sue Ann keep cracking jokes much to Mary's horror.  Finally at the funeral, the group is able to keep it together... except for Mary.  She finally realizes the absurdity of the situation and can't help but giggle.  When finally encouraged to laugh, she breaks down in tears.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show took a very serious topic like death but also was able to bring some levity into the situation courtesy of an absurd situation.  This episode is considered one of the best episodes of any television show of all time. 

• Like 3

Sentence of the year!  Well, at least the week.  Amen to leaving those ol' "po-faces" behind and embracing frivolity!

The lyrics of many songs remind me of this statement, including Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall".

When the world is on your shoulder

Gotta straighten up your act and boogie down..............

I SWEAR this is true( and WHY do I know these people??)!

When I told a group I was playing "Hold 'em" with that I was "just trying to bring a little levity to the game", another guy there snickered and said, "What were ya gonna do?  Make the CHIPS float in mid air?"

HE thought the word had something to do with LEVITATION!  :wacko:

Sepiatone

When I told a group I was playing "Hold 'em" with that I was "just trying to bring a little levity to the game", another guy there snickered and said, "What were ya gonna do?  Make the CHIPS float in mid air?"

HE thought the word had something to do with LEVITATION! 

Ahh, the American education system - churning out the best and brightest.

• Like 1

Saaaay, wait a second here....

So I say, leave us wipe those po-faces from our stentorian brows, and celebrate frivolity.

Now didn't a certain someone once say that very line while making a little speech from up in an opera box, already???

Hold on a minute while I check that out...

(per Wikiquote):

"And now on with the opera. Let joy be unconfined. Let there be dancing in the streets, drinking in the saloons and necking in the parlor." -Otis B. Driftwood

Oh, okay, I guess you're cleared of any possible plagiarism charges THIS time anyway.

(...but just remember here, I'll be keeping a VERY close eye on you from now on, lady!!!)

;)

The rumor is that Brian Wilson, in a moment of self doubt, had an earlyldraft of his lyrics to "Fun Fun Fun", tested in front of a hall full of young fans. The consensus was that the proposed lyrics wouldn't fly, so we don't have line of "And we'll have fun, fun, fun, till my daddy takes the TorBird away".

Most of the comments sumitted.were along the lines of....."I'd like to see him try, with Tor sitting in it!"

Ba dam bam!

Daddy can keep his T-Bird!  I don't like 1964 T-Birds.  The Blue Oval done wrong by ditching them purdy round taillights from '63 for dem f-u-g-l-y rectangular things in '64.  Ugh! 

However, I'm very fond 1964 Falcons from The Blue Oval.  Dem cars is purdy all over!  I expeshully like the Standard Series 2-door sedan cos it's not cluttered by all the stuff that's added to the Futuras and Sprints.   

Dem new-fangled Ford Transit vans I've seen parked at our local Thomaston Ford are 116% UG-LEE!  Jeez!    :blink:  

A few brave souls on the other side of the pond found levity with their highly customized Ford Transit van...

LOVE 'Top Gear", MCOH !!!

The original British version and not the lackluster Yank version, anyway.

NOBODY does "droll" better than those Limeys, ya know!

(...'specially that fat one who keeps puttin' his size-12's into his mouth all the time)

Daddy can keep his T-Bird!  I don't like 1964 T-Birds.  The Blue Oval done wrong by ditching them purdy round taillights from '63 for dem f-u-g-l-y rectangular things in '64.  Ugh! 

So Mr.G. I take it you're not a fan of that "Thelma and Louise" flick then, eh?! ;)

thelma_and_louise_ford_thunderbird.jpg

Gotta say I DO "kind'a agree with ya here, as that first "Personal Luxury" car of Ford's from '61-'63 WAS also my favorite of the four-seater T-Birds, TOO! "Jet Age", baby!!!

But I still kind'a like those next generation models too, as Ford at least continued on with those beautifully sweeping center console interiors, and the exteriors were still kind'a nice lookin'.

(...but don't get me started on that clunky design of the next generation after THAT...'cause that WAS truly the beginning of the end in style for that model Ford...in MY book anyway!)

LOVE 'Top Gear", MCOH !!!

The original British version and not the lackluster Yank version, anyway.

NOBODY does "droll" better than those Limeys, ya know!

(...'specially that fat one who keeps puttin' his size-12's into his mouth all the time)

Yes!  Seems like they have a good thing going.

The Short Short Trailer

HE thought the word had something to do with LEVITATION!  :wacko:

Sepiatone

Many people I know wouldn't have any idea what "levitation" is, so you're way ahead of me. I myself used to think that levitation was taking a vacation in Levittown.

• Like 1

Many people I know wouldn't have any idea what "levitation" is, so you're way ahead of me. I myself used to think that levitation was taking a vacation in Levittown.

Well, I DO hear that Levittown local Murray Abramowitz IS a pretty funny guy!

(...well, once ya get a few drinks in him anyway)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings