Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

t.c.m camp

28Silent

The only problem  with  t.c.m. camp is that it wil teach kids to only enjoy classic films if they were popular in the past and made money for the studios , Since it's the popular classic being shown  only , not really enough  variety .When i was a kid ,back in the sixies and 70's,I would watch classic films on the weekend late night , Hollywood play house,c.b.s affilliate , And Millady's showcase,a.b.c. Afilliate . They were worst than t.c.m..They would not ever introduce a never befor seen classic .These classic films would be over repeated.The good thing about it was that it inspired me to go to the library and check out some book on variations  of the film business.Books written  by film journalist  ,like Pauline Kael to Paul Rotha .Books  on autobiographies of movie stars,like C.B. Demille or Lena Horn to books like ,The r.k.o. gals.Through this I learned more about film history .The museum would have free movies on certain night of the week for free,The were popular  classics,but, this was the first time I saw these films,like the 1943 phantom of the opera.P.b.s. affiliate , back  in the early 70's, began to show  warner brother classics of the thirties and the forties as well as some r.k.o films.It wasn' unitl after that's entertainment  part  that they also began to show m.g.m. films .That was the mother load at the time .I also rememberd  their  premiere  the unenhance version of mystery of the wax museum  75,but, D.r. x remained black and white unitl it was out on v.h.s.I'm hoping  that the limitations  of films  that kids are going  to see inspire them to go to the library  and expand their understannding  of film history .Only through  this and not just studying popular classic that a kid could become a film maker .if they desire it and only when they become aware of the greed and dishonesty and selfishness that controlles the business,they would become  aware of what  they are getting into years later.

I heard that the food sucks, the drinks are overpriced, the counselors

are bullies, the lake is polluted, the marshmallows are hard as rocks,

the cabins are infested with vermin, and that there are forced viewings

of North by Northwest every day at 4 a.m. and 6 p.m. Count me out.

Sort of describes this place. :P

DeathCampofTolerance11.jpg

I heard that the food sucks, the drinks are overpriced, the counselors

are bullies, the lake is polluted, the marshmallows are hard as rocks,

the cabins are infested with vermin, and that there are forced viewings

of North by Northwest every day at 4 a.m. and 6 p.m. Count me out.

True.  I understand that Uncle Bob and Uncle Ben have instituted lawsuits against the exterminating company

Ya know, Silent, you don't HAVE to put a period between each letter in TCM, CBS, PBS, RKO, MGM and VHS.  You might learn this in ACRONYM CAMP!  :lol:

All kidding aside, I don't think a TCM camp would really work except for those who could afford it.  Like it's film festivals, it would likely be located somewhere that most(and/or many) of TCM's fans don't live anywhere near,  and/or don't have the time needed to be able to GO!  That is, IF they could afford it!

Best to pitch a tent in the backyard and run both a cable and electrical extention out to it!  :)

Sepiatone

Ya know, Silent, you don't HAVE to put a period between each letter in TCM, CBS, PBS, RKO, MGM and VHS.  You might learn this in ACRONYM CAMP!  :lol:

All kidding aside, I don't think a TCM camp would really work except for those who could afford it.  Like it's film festivals, it would likely be located somewhere that most(and/or many) of TCM's fans don't live anywhere near,  and/or don't have the time needed to be able to GO!  That is, IF they could afford it!

Best to pitch a tent in the backyard and run both a cable and electrical extention out to it!  :)

Sepiatone

Ya know.. we used to do just that. We'd also take one of mom's best king-size sheets and hang it over the clothesline - use it for a movie screen for our 8mm movies. 

, Since it's the popular classic being shown  only , not really enough  variety .When i was a kid ,back in the sixies and 70's,I would watch classic films on t

I started watching old movies on late night TV in 1953. I loved STEAMBOAT ROUND THE BEND, SVENGALI, THE DIVORCEE (lots of xxx in that one), LITTLE CAESAR, THE ROARING 20s, THE PUBLIC ENEMY, BIRTH OF A NATION, INTOLERANCE, SAN FRANCISCO, and many other classics.

I started watching old movies on late night TV in 1953. I loved STEAMBOAT ROUND THE BEND, SVENGALI, THE DIVORCEE (lots of xxx in that one), LITTLE CAESAR, THE ROARING 20s, THE PUBLIC ENEMY, BIRTH OF A NATION, INTOLERANCE, SAN FRANCISCO, and many other classics.

Since those are fairly popular movies clearly you were brainwashed by the corporate machine just like those kids going to TCM camp will be.     ;)

BARBARELLA is scheduled to air on TCM on June 24 (actually early June 25).

Thank you for letting me know. I don't always check the schedule too closely. Love that crazy film. I knew Milo O'Shea. A great actor and a dear man.

I've never seen BARBARELLA but am very much looking forward to it.

I was 12 when I saw Barbarella in the cinema and I swear that I saw Jane Fonda naked.  At least it felt like I did.

Seeing it again years later I was disappointed that the head credits were covering her body.  I guess my brain was filling in the gaps.

I was 12 when I saw Barbarella in the cinema and I swear that I saw Jane Fonda naked.  At least it felt like I did.

Seeing it again years later I was disappointed that the head credits were covering her body.  I guess my brain was filling in the gaps.

Seeing Fonda in Barbarella is better than seeing Tor Johnson in anything.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings