Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

But then sometimes...

I can't help but absurdly think of things at the oddest times.  With just a thread of some kind of connection.   Example:

One day, not too long ago, I was at a relative's house and he had the Tiger's game on.

They weren't doing so well in this one, and I noticed that the guy on the mound had the name "Hardy".

Since the Tiger's were doing so poorly, I, not able to help it, asked my brother in law, "WHO'S that on the mound?"  And, he said "Hardy."  So then I asked, "What inning did LAUREL leave the hill?"   :P

I do stuff like this a lot!  anyone else here do that sort of thing?

Sepiatone

I do it all the time; have for years. A couple of years ago, I mentioned something along these same lines in a long forgotten post.

My experience is.. 99.99999% of the time, nobody gets it. All the people I've grown up with, and all the people I've worked and played with.. virtually none have had any interest in classic films. Nobody EVER gets the joke, or reference I'm making. They're like, "What the hell are you talking about?".

Hanging out here.. 99.99999% of the people DO get the joke, and many view it as so much trite - which takes the fun out of it on THIS end.

And then there are just some who can't TAKE a joke.. 

Can't win. It works in the movies..!!!

:P

• Like 1

I can't help but absurdly think of things at the oddest times.  With just a thread of some kind of connection.   Example:

One day, not too long ago, I was at a relative's house and he had the Tiger's game on.

They weren't doing so well in this one, and I noticed that the guy on the mound had the name "Hardy".

Since the Tiger's were doing so poorly, I, not able to help it, asked my brother in law, "WHO'S that on the mound?"  And, he said "Hardy."  So then I asked, "What inning did LAUREL leave the hill?"   :P

I do stuff like this a lot!  anyone else here do that sort of thing?

Sepiatone

Nah, sorry Sepia, but as I'm sure you've noticed after all this time around here, doin' stuff like this never crosses my mind at all.

(...though I DO have one question for ya here...If the batter facing Hardy hit a comebacker to him and there was nobody else on the bases, Who was the name of the guy Hardy threw the ball to at first base to record the out...RIGHT?!) ;)

I've served on several search committees for math teaching positions, and, inevitably, we get an Asian applicant named Hu. Then the fun starts:

"Did you read this candidate's file?'

"Whose file?"

"Yes."

"Who is the candidate?"

"Yes."

"What is the candidate's name?"

"Hu."

"The candidate."

"Hu is the candidate."

"That's what I'm asking."

• Like 3

I've served on several search committees for math teaching positions, and, inevitably, we get an Asian applicant named Hu. Then the fun starts:

"Whose file?"

"Yes."

"Who is the candidate?"

"Yes."

"Hu."

"The candidate."

"Hu is the candidate."

I wrote name parching software (to separate a 'name' data field into first name and last name) back in the late 80s and two byte names (most Chinese) really messed up my algorithm.      I had set up the algorithm to deal with last names that included space breaks; e.g. De Havilland,   but not when the entire name was only 2 bytes!     Yes,  my western bias was showing.  

"Whose file?"

"Yes."

"Who is the candidate?"

"Yes."

"Hu."

"The candidate."

"Hu is the candidate."

(...and aah...sorry for posting the YouTube video in your thread here, Sepia ol' boy...Rich's posting reminded me too much of this in order to resist...I understand this kind'a thing isn't big on your hit parade lately) ;)

(...and aah...sorry for posting the YouTube video in your thread here, Sepia ol' boy...Rich's posting reminded me too much of this in order to resist...I understand this kind'a thing isn't big on your hit parade lately) ;)

That "F-22 Raptor defies gravity" segment at the end of the first video doesn't do the plane justice. I saw this plane 3 years ago at our air show - unbelieveable. Maneuvers like a helicopter AND fighter jet. Not like VTOL's.

This thing hovered virtually motionless in front of me at about 200 feet of altitude, then slowly rotated 360º. It's awesome in person.

That "F-22 Raptor defies gravity" segment at the end of the first video doesn't do the plane justice. I saw this plane 3 years ago at our air show - unbelieveable. Maneuvers like a helicopter AND fighter jet. Not like VTOL's.

This thing hovered virtually motionless in front of me at about 200 feet of altitude, then slowly rotated 360º. It's awesome in person.

Cool, Kid! Question though...

The only VTOL A/C I've ever witnessed in flight was the old Marine Harrier Jump Jet at the Burbank (CA) Air Show, and MAN was that thing deafening on takeoffs and landings in VTOL mode.

And so, if that new Raptor as loud as those?

(...actually, now that I think about it, we have had a few of the tilt-wing Ospreys do touch and go's here at the Sedona Airport a few times...pretty loud too, as you might know)

Cool, Kid! Question though...

The only VTOL A/C I've ever witnessed in flight was the old Marine Harrier Jump Jet at the Burbank (CA) Air Show, and MAN was that thing deafening on takeoffs and landings in VTOL mode.

And so, if that new Raptor as loud as those?

(...actually, now that I think about it, we have had a few of the tilt-wing Ospreys do touch and go's here at the Sedona Airport a few times...pretty loud too, as you might know)

We have opposite experiences..

:)

Haven't been that close to a Jump Jet, but the Raptor was as loud as any rear exhaust. It's got Vectored Thrust Nozzles which pivot in many directions, enabling it to pretty much turn on a dime in mid-flight - or stop on the same dime and hover in variable positions.