Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's future in jeopardy with Charter Communications purchase of Time Warner?

JeanneCrain

Charter Communications is going to takeover Time Warner for $56.7 BILLION in the next couple weeks - the takeover will required Charter Communications to remedy HUGE LOSSES amassed by Time Warner - how will the takeover effect TCM is anyone's guess but drastic change can reasonably be expected - and likely not for the better regarding commercial-free TCM.  :(

It didn't register, JeanneCrain, until you brought it up.

Since Time Warner owns TCM and since Charter Communications is taking over T/W------------------wow. 

Charter Communications has been a non-entity afaik, so good luck to TCM.

As the Queen said in Alice in Wonderland, off with their heads! :o 

Personally, I don’t believe it is reasonable for Charter to continue with TCM in its current form – and fear that either commercial viewing will be implemented and/or a premium subscription move. I am sure those at TCM are currently on pins-n-needles wondering what the future holds and fear the worse…after all, it is reasonable that CORRECTING the manner in which Time Warner operated in accumulating HUGE LOSSES will be the focus point of TCM’s new owners – where’s Ted Turner when you need him?  :blink:

The paper was on the porch. I brought it in and set it next to your reading glasses.

skyfallingjpg-copy-300x200.jpeg

Certainly CHANGE is in the air, which for some here may be associated with falling skies.

Enjoy TCM while the sun continues to shine as it appears clouds are in its forecast

I don't want to throw any cold water on this hot party, but I am pretty sure Time Warner Cable doesn't have any involvement in TCM, they are only a cable company. Time Warner is what controls TCM and they are not merging because they turned one down earlier. That is why they did cost cutting.

So, this merger has nothing to do with TCM, you can still see North By Northwest at the regularly scheduled times, lol.

It is worth clarifying that Charter Communications has acquired Time Warner Cable, not Time Warner Inc.

TCM is owned by the latter corporation and despite the overlap in naming, Time Warner Inc. is no longer directly affiliated with Time Warner Cable. As a result, Charter Communications will be unable to exert any influence over the broadcasting practices of any Time Warner-owned channels (such as TBS, TNT, CNN, TCM and others).

So the OP's concern is basically a non-issue right now.

• Like 3

It is worth clarifying that Charter Communications has acquired Time Warner Cable, not Time Warner Inc.

TCM is owned by the latter corporation and despite the overlap in naming, Time Warner Inc. is no longer directly affiliated with Time Warner Cable. As a result, Charter Communications will be unable to exert any influence over the broadcasting practices of any Time Warner-owned channels (such as TBS, TNT, CNN, TCM and others).

Exactly. Maybe the next time the OP and anyone else starting a thread like this, maybe do a little homework about the subject first? Just a thought...

I would also add that even if another company was to purchase Time Warner or just the TW-owned channels you mention it doesn't mean that they would shut down TCM or make it a commercial station.    If TCM was losing money today,  I assume TW's Board of Directors would impose measures to ensure TCM is in the black.  

tcm's chronic showings of Gone With The Wind and stella dallas are save. :(

I would also add that even if another company was to purchase Time Warner or just the TW-owned channels you mention it doesn't mean that they would shut down TCM or make it a commercial station.    If TCM was losing money today,  I assume TW's Board of Directors would impose measures to ensure TCM is in the black.  

Do we even know how much money TCM has been losing? I just have a hard time believing it is not a profitable venture-- with all the various tie-ins and merchandising schemes.

In a way, it's like we have not escaped the nagging fear that TCM will go the way the old AMC did. But people have been speculating about that for a long time now, and thankfully it has not come to pass.

Do we even know how much money TCM has been losing? I just have a hard time believing it is not a profitable venture-- with all the various tie-ins and merchandising schemes.

In a way, it's like we have not escaped the nagging fear that TCM will go the way the old AMC did. But people have been speculating about that for a long time now, and thankfully it has not come to pass.

Note I said 'if TCM was losing money'.     I assume they are NOT losing money otherwise TW would have taken steps that would be noticeable to viewers.      

Note I said 'if TCM was losing money'.     I assume they are NOT losing money otherwise TW would have taken steps that would be noticeable to viewers.      

Right-- the operative word here is if. A big IF. LOL

The latest tie-in/gimmick involving the online film noir course tells me they are actively seeking more outside partnerships to promote the TCM brand. If they were about to close their doors and go out of business (or be restructured), they would be dropping some of their advertising campaigns-- not coming up with new ones.

I think the OP is right in being worried about a takeover of Time Warner, since this is the cable outfit it doesn't matter but if it was the parent company it certainly would. Fox would have decimated this channel had they been successful IMHO. BTW the stock price is still less than half what it was back in the year 2000. Time Warner needs to start making acquisitions of their own perhaps.

Time-Warner cabl

Charter Communications is going to takeover Time Warner for $56.7 BILLION in the next couple weeks - the takeover will required Charter Communications to remedy HUGE LOSSES amassed by Time Warner - how will the takeover effect TCM is anyone's guess but drastic change can reasonably be expected - and likely not for the better regarding commercial-free TCM.  :(

Relax. Time-Warner Cable is a different entity than the Time-Warner owned networks and doesn't have control of them. Besides, no sale is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Any deal has to be approved by federal regulators and the FCC and that could take a year or more. And as we just saw with the proposed Comcast/T-W merger it never happened.

Folks were shouting doom and gloom back when Ted Turner merged his company with Time-Warner. Again, when he left the company, and even more so when AMC went commercial. Meanwhile, TCM is still plugging right along after 20 years doing pretty much what it's always  been doing. So even if if the sale does go through, there's nothing to indicate anything bad will happen to TCM. Who knows, maybe it will get even better.

• Like 1

Time-Warner cabl

Relax. Time-Warner Cable is a different entity than the Time-Warner owned networks and doesn't have control of them. Besides, no sale is going to happen in the next couple of weeks. Any deal has to be approved by federal regulators and the FCC and that could take a year or more. And as we just saw with the proposed Comcast/T-W merger it never happened.

Folks were shouting doom and gloom back when Ted Turner merged his company with Time-Warner. Again, when he left the company, and even more so when AMC went commercial. Meanwhile, TCM is still plugging right along after 20 years doing pretty much what it's always  been doing. So even if if the sale does go through, there's nothing to indicate anything bad will happen to TCM. Who knows, maybe it will get even better.

Good to hear.  I don't really have much of a presence if any on here, but I'm rooting for TCM too.

I'm glad that Comcast wasn't allowed to buy TWC because they all ready own Universal. It's better that a smaller company like Charter now owns it. Someone was going to buy it because it was for sale so if not Charter then who?.

Question: If Comcast owns Universal, and if they had become owners of TCM, would the Universal/Paramount library of films been made accesible to TCM?

Question: If Comcast owns Universal, and if they had become owners of TCM, would the Universal/Paramount library of films been made accesible to TCM?

Yes, the thought crossed my mind too. So that would have been a good thing for a lot of viewers.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings