Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are The Popular Slangs Words That Have Never Gone Out of Fashion?

TomJH

"Cool" comes to mind immediately. I'm not certain of the origin of this word but certainly back in the '60s "cool" and "groovy" were both commonly used, both meaning the same thing from my perspective.

But while groovy no longer became a "cool" word some time again, "cool" itself has never lost its popularity.

I know I heard Monroe use the word in Seven Year Itch. Off hand, I can't think of an earlier time in the movies that I heard the word used.

Can anyone think of a slang word that has had anything even remotely resembling the long time popularity of "cool?"

I think the word "hot" would be a close second.  I did a quick Internet search to see when the phrase originated, and I couldn't find anything (I didn't look long), but I think it's been around a while (?)

UPDATE: I found an English Usage link, and one entry says that the term "hot" to refer to attractiveness dates back hundreds of years ( ! ):

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/84224/what-is-the-origin-of-hot-as-good-looking-or-attractive

Movie-wise, I think there are references in 1920s film to "red-hot mamas" and the like

I think the word "hot" would be a close second.  I did a quick Internet search to see when the phrase originated, and I couldn't find anything (I didn't look long), but I think it's been around a while (?)

UPDATE: I found an English Usage link, and one entry says that the term "hot" to refer to attractiveness dates back hundreds of years ( ! ):

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/84224/what-is-the-origin-of-hot-as-good-looking-or-attractive

Movie-wise, I think there are references in 1920s film to "red-hot mamas" and the like

Hot and cool, ironically opposite sounding words. I forgot about the expression red hot mamas.

I wonder if the slang use someone or something being "hot" has even greater longevity than "cool?"

Good one, Eugenia.

Now Tom, whatever gave you the idea for this thread, HUH?! ;)

(...although personally I DO have to say it's a pretty "sick" idea alright, dude!)

Quite frankly, "sick" is a word I never use unless I'm going to the doctor.

The use of "awesome" really gets on my nerves, because it is so overused that it has lost all meaning. It can be a description of anything ranging from a world cruise to a tasty ice cream cone.

The use of "awesome" really gets on my nerves, because it is so overused that it has lost all meaning. It can be a description of anything ranging from a world cruise to a tasty ice cream cone.

You should go to a class with one of my spinning instructors. She uses the word "awesome" an average of about 30 times in each one-hour class.

You should go to a class with one of my spinning instructors. She uses the word "awesome" an average of about 30 times in each one-hour class.

Since you're counting them it would appear that her excessive use of the word has drawn your attention (and probably not in a good way).

To me it denotes that a person is lacking an extensive vocabulary if they have to fall back on the same word time after time when they express themself. It could also be that is is simply a habit and the person is unaware of how often they use the word.

AH! Now I'm GLAD you brought up that word "awesome", and because not ONLY as you mention here the word has become much too ubiquitous, but ALSO because those who use that word as an adjective or a adverb and WITHOUT adding the suffix of "ly" to it...well...THEY DRIVE ME FREAKIN' BANANAS!!!(okay, mostly figuratively, anyway)

And, as in, "He played awesome". WHAT?! Is 'Awesome" some new kind'a SPORT I've yet to hear of?! Does it use a ball or one of those pucks that those Canadians use so often while they're freezin' their collective butts off every winter up there???

(...sorry...couldn't resist that whole "Canadian weather" joke here, ol' buddy...you DO know I owed ya one here, right?!) ;)

LOL

AH! Now I'm GLAD you brought up that word "awesome", and because not ONLY as you mention here the word has become much too ubiquitous, but ALSO because those who use that word as an adjective or a adverb and WITHOUT adding the suffix of "ly" to it...well...THEY DRIVE ME FREAKIN' BANANAS!!!(okay, mostly figuratively, anyway)

And, as in, "He played awesome". WHAT?! Is 'Awesome" some new kind'a SPORT I've yet to hear of?! Does it use a ball or one of those pucks that those Canadians use so often while they're freezin' their collective butts off every winter up there???

(...sorry...couldn't resist that whole "Canadian weather" joke here, ol' buddy...you DO know I owed ya one here, right?!) ;)

LOL

By all means feel free to BLAST AWAY here regarding the excessive overuse of that dreaded word, Dargo.

I was awesomed out by hearing that damn word all the time many, many years ago. And it does seem that almost every time a sports fan screams his approval on the air of some game that it is with that word.

By all means feel free to BLAST AWAY here regarding the excessive overuse of that dreaded word, Dargo.

I was awesomed out by hearing that damn word all the time many, many years ago. And it does seem that almost every time a sports fan screams his approval on the air of some game that it is with that word.

I think worse than the overuse of "awesome" is the overuse of the word "literally".  I just love hearing phrases like, "And I literally sat in the chair!"  I mean, literally!

But, sorry, Tom, that's not really under the "slang" topic.  I'll try to think of more slang...

I think worse than the overuse of "awesome" is the overuse of the word "literally".  I just love hearing phrases like, "And I literally sat in the chair!"  I mean, literally!

But, sorry, Tom, that's not really under the "slang" topic.  I'll try to think of more slang...

Well, as I'm sure you know Eugenia, there now seems to be many now days who don't know the correct instances in which to use the words "literally" and/or "figuratively".

(...aaah, but I "could" care less about that!) ;)

Well, the term "chick-flick" is still bandied about, though not as much as several years ago. 

Ya know where that whole thing started being bandied about, doncha Kid?!

Uh-huh...this here movie...

The+egg+and+I.JPG

(...didn't know ol' Freddy and Claudette were responsible for all that, now did ya!) 

Ya know where that whole thing started being bandied about, doncha Kid?!

Uh-huh...this here movie...

(...didn't know ol' Freddy and Claudette were responsible for all that, now did ya!) 

I learn something old around here every day.

:)

I learn something old around here every day.

:)

LOL

Yeah, but then again, remember the prevailing demographic around here, Kid.

(...and I ain't no "spring chicken" MYSELF, ya know!) ;)

Maybe Swell? Heard so often in 30's, 40's even some 50's films

I think you're swell, that's swell etc,

That is a good one, lav. It sure is swell that you remembered it. Yep, it still sounds contemporary after all these years, doesn't it?

Does literally qualify as slang or is it more of an inappropriate redundancy in a sentence? Don't mean to sound like I'm nit picking.

But, really, isn't this thread just awesome? ;)

LOL

Yeah, but then again, remember the prevailing demographic around here, Kid.

(...and I ain't no "spring chicken" MYSELF, ya know!) ;)

I wonder how long that expression has been in use.

I'm no spring chicken, either, and it seems to me that expression been around most of my life.

Con and conman are still used, though rip-off artist and

grifter have become popular too. I guess grifter goes

back quite a bit, but it seems to have been revived in

the last few years.

Sucker is still around, with a sucka update.

Cheapstake still around, if not as common as it was.

Same with skinflint.

There are so many people out to grift us these days it's no wonder the usage of grifter has re emerged. Preachers, politicians and so called charities you can't trust any of these folks.

How about the slang word "dig"? I still use that one occasionally.