Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In the style of Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow

After watched the Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow, I really enjoyed it and decided to read a few critic's reviews to learn more about the film. The reviews all endorsed the movie as a good representation of the genre and mentioned Groundhog Day as the standard. I didn't realize there was a "Groundhog Day" genre. I'm wondering what other movies fit this "repeat the day" or time manipulation genre? Edge of Tomorrow was a pleasant surprise. So, I'm interested in learning what other movies fall into this category. Hopefully some of the others will be as enjoyable. I welcome any suggestions. Thank you.

I've always been a sucker for time travel and time loop stories; in print and film.

Groundhog Day (1993) is a favorite of mine. I didn't care for Bill Murray on SNL, but when he hit the big screen he developed nicely - similar to his character in Groundhog Day.

Here are just a few relatively recent films using this theme. More can be found - HERE

11 A.M. (2013)

12 Dates of Christmas (2011)

12:01 (1993)

Camp Slaughter (2005)

Christmas Do-Over (2006) - a remake of Christmas Every Day (1996)
  • Like 1

Kid_Dabb,. Thank you for the link and your list of suggestions! I took a quick look at the link and there are plenty of new titles for me to try. Your list looks like a great place to start. There could be a new Christmas movie tradition in there. Christmas Vacation is getting a bit tired. I'm looking forward to checking them out. Thanks again.

• Like 1

If you are a fan of the small screen-- specifically, The Twilight Zone, there are a number of episodes from that series in this vein.

"Judgment Day" with Nehemiah Persoff

"Shadow Play" with Dennis Weaver

"Death Ship"  with Ross Martin, Jack Klugman, and Fred Beir

These were good examples of this formula.  A couple other episodes were not strictly "Groundhog Day-style", but had elements of such like "A Game of Pool" with Klugman and Jonathan Winters, and "Dead Man's Shoes" with Warren Stevens.  There may be other examples from this great series, but these are all I can think of at the moment, and well worth the watch.

• Like 1

MilesArcher, thank you for the suggestion. Run Lola Run is at the top of my list. That movie was made in 1998 - I have a lot of catching up to do...

tommyphils31, thank you for the list. Those titles show the Twilight Zone was ahead of its time! I read reviews of "judgement Day" (judgement night) I vaguely remember seeing that one many years ago. It would be worth watching again.

Thank you for the reply!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings