Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June 2015 on TCM Canada

Barton_Keyes

The following is a list of every scheduled feature film substitution on TCM in Canada for the month of June.

Please note that these replacements are tentative and subject to change at the discretion of TCM. Plan accordingly.

On June 2 at 4:45AM, CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (1958) replaces THE DROWNING POOL (1975).

On June 5 at 12:45PM, TENSION (1950) replaces HIGH SIERRA (1940). This is a new one. I'm absolutely certain that TCM has aired HIGH SIERRA in Canada before.

On June 6 at 3:30AM, HIS KIND OF WOMAN (1951) replaces L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997).

On June 8 at 10:00PM, EDGE OF DARKNESS (1943) replaces HANGMEN ALSO DIE (1943).

On June 10 at 5:00PM, RACING LADY (1937) replaces ZENOBIA (1939).

On June 11 at 8:00PM, SEVEN KEYS TO BALDPATE (1929) replaces THE KANSAN (1943).

On June 14 at 2:00AM, NIGHT OF THE LEPUS (1972) replaces THE MANITOU (1978). 

On June 15 at 12:00PM, OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1964) replaces THE FALLEN IDOL (1948).

On June 23 at 12:15AM, TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY (1946) replaces FRANCES (1982)

On June 27 at 1:15AM, SCENE OF THE CRIME (1949) replaces THE THIRD MAN (1949).

On June 29 at 2:00AM, EL CASADO CASA QUIERE (1950) replaces BAND OF OUTSIDERS (1964).

On June 29 at 11:00AM, FIRST YANK IN TOKYO (1945) replaces BROADWAY LIMITED (1941).

On June 29 at 1:45PM, THE FALCON IN HOLLYWOOD (1944) replaces GIRL RUSH (1944).

And that's it for the June 2015 substitutions on TCM Canada.

• Like 1

Thanks, Barton, that must have taken some time.

Wow, there are more substitutions than I realized. Are there typically that many films TCM USA airs that don't have Canadian rights in a month? Or is June exceptionally riddled with No Canadian Rights titles?

I just don't get it. The Third Man, for instance. I know I've seen this movie broadcast in Canada, I think even on TCM at some point.

Since the majority of these films are decades old, I have a lot of trouble understanding why the rights thing should be an issue at all. As someone - I think it was Bogie56 - said a while ago, there can't be much money involved with most of the movies involved.

edit: I noticed I used the word  "involved" twice in one sentence. I must have been tired. Oh well, too late to change it now, that would be faking it.

Wow, there are more substitutions than I realized. Are there typically that many films TCM USA airs that don't have Canadian rights in a month? Or is June exceptionally riddled with No Canadian Rights titles?

I just don't get it. The Third Man, for instance. I know I've seen this movie broadcast in Canada, I think even on TCM at some point.

Since the majority of these films are decades old, I have a lot of trouble understanding why the rights thing should be an issue at all. As someone - I think it was Bogie56 - said a while ago, there can't be much money involved with most of the movies involved.

Yeah, The Third Man was also replaced last Friday night, May 29 in Canada with The Tartars.

Thankfully I have a good store bought dvd copy.

Butterfield 8 is being replaced on May 31st.  Barton has probably already noted that.

This is just speculation, but you must have noticed that Canadian stations hardly show films like they used to.  Bravo, City, the CBC, TVO, etc.  They just don't buy movies anymore even for late night slots.

I wonder if some of these stations are sitting on Canadian rights to so many screenings.  For instance, TVO buys some sort of exclusive right to show The Third Man in Canada for X number of broadcasts and then doesn't exercise that right.  If that is the case, these films are becoming 'lost' in Canada.  Unless there is some sort of expiry date on there right to broadcast.

I have also wondered if the cost of printing out an exclusive Canadian schedule, and the cost of re-packaging their broadcast signal just for the Canadian market is a more expensive proposition than just acquiring the rights of these films for our market?  I mean how much could a couple of short Laurel & Hardy Hal Roach* comedies cost?

*correction: thanks Barton

Between ten and fifteen substitutions per month is about average in my experience.

THE THIRD MAN, which is -- at the present time -- consistently replaced by TCM on the Canadian schedule, may be seen on May 31 at 9:00PM on the Canadian cable channel Silver Screen Classis, a sister station to Hamilton's CHCH-TV. Yet other films aired frequently on the latter channel are also aired regularly by TCM in Canada.

So based on that, it seems apparent to me that there are legal issues at play here which are more complex than I am able to grasp.

For example, Selznick International films (which co-produced THE THIRD MAN) are typically replaced by TCM on the Canadian schedule with the exceptions of NOTHING SACRED (which is public domain) and GONE WITH THE WIND.

Similarly, the Canadian rights to Hal Roach films are currently caught up in legal entanglements, which is why TCM does not typically emphasize the work of Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang shorts.

Then there are outliers -- films which are substituted for seemingly no apparent reason. HIGH SIERRA is a great example of this. I watched this film on TCM within the last year and yet it's next scheduled airing (on June 5) will be replaced with another film in Canada.

That's about all I have to offer. I have no idea why HIGH SIERRA is being substituted, so your guess is as good as mine.

Then there are outliers -- films which are substituted for seemingly no apparent reason. HIGH SIERRA is a great example of this. I watched this film on TCM within the last year and yet it's next scheduled airing (on June 5) will be replaced with another film in Canada.

That's about all I have to offer. I have no idea why HIGH SIERRA is being substituted, so your guess is as good as mine.

That always baffles me, too - those films that are hit and miss. Sometimes they come on the Canadian TCM, other times those same films don't. I've noticed this with Treasure of Sierra Madre and The Sea Hawk, as well. Since those films are all available on DVD (in fact, I have them), I can live with it.

It's the really rare ones (like History Is Made at Night) not making it into Canada that really irk me.

And yet two others that didn't get broadcast in Canada on their first U.S. showings but did when they were later repeated - The Letter, with Jeanne Eagels and The Crystal Ball, with Paulette Goddard. What, rights became available between the two broadcasts? Who knows what goes on.

Between ten and fifteen substitutions per month is about average in my experience.

THE THIRD MAN, which is -- at the present time -- consistently replaced by TCM on the Canadian schedule, may be seen on May 31 at 9:00PM on the Canadian cable channel Silver Screen Classis, a sister station to Hamilton's CHCH-TV. Yet other films aired frequently on the latter channel are also aired regularly by TCM in Canada.

So based on that, it seems apparent to me that there are legal issues at play here which are more complex than I am able to grasp.

For example, Selznick International films (which co-produced THE THIRD MAN) are typically replaced by TCM on the Canadian schedule with the exceptions of NOTHING SACRED (which is public domain) and GONE WITH THE WIND.

Similarly, the Canadian rights to Hal Roach films are currently caught up in legal entanglements, which is why TCM does not typically emphasize the work of Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang shorts.

Is it possible that Canadian authorities do not want to have Canadian viewers exposed to overly repetitive viewings?

• Like 1

That always baffles me, too - those films that are hit and miss. Sometimes they come on the Canadian TCM, other times those same films don't. I've noticed this with Treasure of Sierra Madre and The Sea Hawk, as well. Since those films are all available on DVD (in fact, I have them), I can live with it.

It's the really rare ones (like History Is Made at Night) not making it into Canada that really irk me.

And yet two others that didn't get broadcast in Canada on their first U.S. showings but did when they were later repeated - The Letter, with Jeanne Eagels and The Crystal Ball, with Paulette Goddard. What, rights became available between the two broadcasts? Who knows what goes on.

i always set my dvd just in case it happens often tcm canada will play the same as the usa tcm,not all the time but i would say 7 out of 10,but in the case of the 3rd man it did not happened they showed the Tartars instead which was ok for me personally since i had not seen this turkey before.,This  is a problem when you are a completist like me you must  see everything...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings