Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the invisible ray

NipkowDisc

a great early science fiction film tomorry nite on svengoolie. boris Karloff is this scientist with curly hair named Ruka who likes radium. he blasts a boulder with his radium beam gun and soon he and radium are inseparable.

:)

The Invisible Ray is one of the great horror classics. Great cast -- Boris and Bela, Beulah Bondi and Violet Kemble Cooper. One of the first to deal with the ethics of science; meaning, you use it to do good, not to go all radioactive and kill people with your touch. Violet Kemble Cooper's action at the end; and the last lines/scene of the film are brilliant.

No doubt it will not be done justice on Svengoolie, since it's not a film that should be made fun of; but at least it will be on TV!

No doubt it will not be done justice on Svengoolie, since it's not a film that should be made fun of; but at least it will be on TV!

Don't confuse Svengoolie with Mystery Science Theater. Mystery Science Theater "made fun" of bad movies by interjecting conversation during the lulls, in essence making fun of the movie's shortcomings.

Svengoolie just "hosts" the movie and talks about the special effects & the cast -usually with reverence- during the breaks.

Don't confuse Svengoolie with Mystery Science Theater. Mystery Science Theater "made fun" of bad movies by interjecting conversation during the lulls, in essence making fun of the movie's shortcomings.

Svengoolie just "hosts" the movie and talks about the special effects & the cast -usually with reverence- during the breaks.

I've watched a couple of films on Svengoolie and have gotten over my initial prejudice. But he does make fun of them -- with those songs, etc., during the breaks. The films I saw are really grade B horror (which I love) and suited to Svengoolie's approach; The Invisible Ray is serious grade A, and not his usual fare. It's as if he was going to show The Miracle Worker; or The Days of Wine and Roses and performed his shtick during the breaks. But I will have a  look and see what he does.

For me, the best thing about this picture is Bela Lugosi's performance and his demonstration of what a fine, natural character actor he was.  More's the pity that he wasn't able to do more of these roles (as in NINOTCHKA) than, due to financial and medical woes, capitalizing on his boogie man status and taking up residence at PRC and Monogram.  He was similarly outstanding in A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN.  Even though he was playing Dracula, he was natural and believable.

Franz Waxman's musical score to THE INVISIBLE RAY is also first-rate.  William Alwyn recorded a suite from it and it appears on a CD with Waxman's near-complete score to BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

• Like 1

I've watched a couple of films on Svengoolie and have gotten over my initial prejudice. But he does make fun of them -- with those songs, etc., during the breaks. The films I saw are really grade B horror (which I love) and suited to Svengoolie's approach; The Invisible Ray is serious grade A, and not his usual fare. It's as if he was going to show The Miracle Worker; or The Days of Wine and Roses and performed his shtick during the breaks. But I will have a  look and see what he does.

Interesting post. Now we'll all have to watch Svengoolie tonight to see how it goes...!

Isn't content edited out to make room for his comments?    (depending on the length of the movie)

The length of the movie and the length of the commercials would determine how substantial his comments may be.

So your saying no movie content is ever edited out but instead the longer the movie the shorter his comments?  

Note that one thing I like about these 'new' movie stations like MOVIE-TV is content isn't edited out to fill a time slot.  But this does lead to very odd start and end times for movies.    Now GET-TV I'm not so sure about.    The movies start 'on the hour'  or half-hour which implies content is edited out to fit a time slot but I haven't noticed any missing content in the movies I seen (in many cases I'm seeing movies for the first time so I wouldn't know anyway!).

So your saying no movie content is ever edited out but instead the longer the movie the shorter his comments?  

Note that one thing I like about these 'new' movie stations like MOVIE-TV is content isn't edited out to fill a time slot.  But this does lead to very odd start and end times for movies.    Now GET-TV I'm not so sure about.    The movies start 'on the hour'  or half-hour which implies content is edited out to fit a time slot but I haven't noticed any missing content in the movies I seen (in many cases I'm seeing movies for the first time so I wouldn't know anyway!).

Not exactly what I'm saying. He has an agreement with Universal to lease their films. I am sure that most of those B horror films probably average around 65 to 75 minutes. So in a two hour slot, when they take time for commercials, he probably has a general idea of how many minutes he gets and how in-depth he can go in that period. 

Some of the films that run longer probably are cut down, because of his set time slot. I do notice that sometimes when he comes back from a commercial he goes right into the movie. So my guess is he would prefer to show as much as possible, because he loves the films just as much as the viewers do.

I don't know about the other channels, but I would think you're right about Get-TV.

I have "The Bela Lugosi Collection," a two-sided DVD which contains five films, including The Invisible Ray. It's listed on the back of the case as  1 hour 19 minutes. IMDB lists it as 80 minutes. My cable company's onscreen guide lists it as 82 minutes, though the whole Svengoolie program is listed as two hours, which of course includes commercials. They can show the whole thing and still have about 40 minutes for commercials and SvenSchtick. 

I have "The Bela Lugosi Collection," a two-sided DVD which contains five films, including The Invisible Ray. It's listed on the back of the case as  1 hour 19 minutes. IMDB lists it as 80 minutes. My cable company's onscreen guide lists it as 82 minutes, though the whole Svengoolie program is listed as two hours, which of course includes commercials. They can show the whole thing and still have about 40 minutes for commercials and SvenSchtick. 

Well perhaps you (or anyone that owns the official DVD release) can watch it tonight and tell us if anything noteworthy has been cut in favor of ads and shtick. If it is around 80 minutes, and he has a 120 minute block, I would think that unless there is objectionable material that cannot air on TV, most of it should air intact. 

Since many of the films shown are relatively short films (say under 90 minutes),  I agree that in most cases this leaves time for commercials and commentary without cutting content.   But I believe others have said that content is removed when this is not the case.     This is the basic problem with a fix time slot for a program like this: either the host has to limit the movie selection or they have to limit their comments or they have to edit out content.

But yea,  since the program's focus is mostly on Universal horror or 'B' sci-fi instead of epics etc..   no content has to be removed.

Since many of the films shown are relatively short films (say under 90 minutes),  I agree that in most cases this leaves time for commercials and commentary without cutting content.   But I believe others have said that content is removed when this is not the case.     This is the basic problem with a fix time slot for a program like this: either the host has to limit the movie selection or they have to limit their comments or they have to edit out content.

But yea,  since the program's focus is mostly on Universal horror or 'B' sci-fi instead of epics etc..   no content has to be removed.

Completely agree. It's not like the guy is hosting presentations of GONE WITH THE WIND.

My guess is that the shorter films, the ones that clock in around 65 or 70 minutes is where he gets to do a lot more shtick.

I'd rather see a commando cody and less svengoolie  :lol:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings