Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Third Man

NipkowDisc

tcm programmers' favorite orson welles thriller? gotta be. they're sure showin' it aplenty. :)

HEY now, ND! I don't know about YOU, but I can NEVER get enough ZITHER music, dude!!!

(...man...dig those crazy strings!!!)

;)

• Like 2

HEY now, ND! I don't know about YOU, but I can NEVER get enough ZITHER music, dude!!!

(...man...dig those crazy strings!!!)

;)

This may seem petty, but it's that.. that.. that ZITHER music which prevents me from sitting through this film from start to finish. I've tried dozens of times - I just can't take that instrument for more than 15-20 seconds. I like the movie underneath this stuff.. but I can't do it.. no sir.

Am I the only one in the universe who is not particularly overwhelmed with Welles in this one? He's okay most of the time but there are a couple of scenes where he tries to hard and doesn't come off so well. I'm a big Welles fan too ...

-

Somewhat surprised by the comments (well other than TCM does show this movie a lot).

To me the story is fairly straight forward as well as Welles acting in this film and less bizarre than most Welles directed movies (but yea,  the movie does have some bizarre type scenes but that just adds to the atmosphere).

Ok the Zither sound does get to me but I like the tune so yea I wish it was played on a sweet sounding guitar (of course, right!).

Well.... personally.... I think the zither music in this film is the best movie music ever used in any film. I had the movie on last night while I was in bed, with my eyes closed, and I could follow the visuals of every scene when the music was playing. Perfectly recorded and edited and much of the film was edited to match the music, rather than the music being written to match the edited film.

I know this after years of editing film to pre-recorded music while making documentary films.

• Like 3

Well.... personally.... I think the zither music in this film is the best movie music ever used in any film. I had the movie on last night while I was in bed, with my eyes closed, and I could follow the visuals of every scene when the music was playing. Perfectly recorded and edited and much of the film was edited to match the music, rather than the music being written to match the edited film.

I know this after years of editing film to pre-recorded music while making documentary films.

I'm behind ya 100% on this, Fred. Well.. maybe 98%..Bernard Herrmann's my favorite movie music guy.

:)

I like the music too (although I'm not necessarily a zither fan.) I bought the complete score from iTunes, fairly cheaply as I recall.

This scene was set up and timed out to match the pre-recorded music.

Even the falling of the leaves is timed to match the tempo of the music.

Note that men on ladders are slowly dropping the leaves at a certain rate to match the music.

(Note that more leaves have accumulated in front of Joseph Cotton than anywhere else along the road.... because of the leaf-men on the ladders).

To me the story is fairly straight forward as well as Welles acting in this film and less bizarre than most Welles directed movies (but yea,  the movie does have some bizarre type scenes but that just adds to the atmosphere).

Well, maybe that's because Welles did not direct it, Carol Reed did.

Well, sorry if I insulted you james. If you re-read your post, it does sound as though you thought it was a "Welles-directed film". Maybe we just had "a fayl-yuh to comMUNicate" !

Funny,  I was just about to update my reply because it was kind of juvenile\defensive.  As you stated it was because Welles didn't direct the film that it was a fairly straight forward storyline especially compared to many Welles directed ones and this was what I was trying to commutate in my initial post.    

So while the film has some blizzard scenes and situations it's no where close to a movie like The Trial!   (a movie my wife watched for the first time this week and afterwards said 'well that was interesting but I have no clue what was going on in the film!).

"Seriously". I really like The Third Man. I've seen it several times. It's a mystery to me why it suddenly has no Canadian rights for TCM to air it, or at least, nobody knows who does own the Canadian rights. I never get to see it on TCM anymore (I know that the opposite is the OP's complaint.)

I like this film for many reasons; the main one being that it's extremely atmospheric, I love the location setting of post-war Vienna, it's wonderfully evocative. I enjoy all the actors in the film - one of Joseph Cotton's best (and that's saying something.)

Trevor Howard's so good in this, too.The man radiates integrity.

It's got so many deservedly "iconic" images. I'll name just three: the famous ferris wheel scene, Orson desperately trying to flee the authorities in Vienna's underground labyrinthine passages, and that wintry treed avenue where Anna walks right past Holly as though she doesn't see him.

I also love some of the odd little scenes that kind of show how it seems the whole world is against poor old Holly, like the one where he sneaks into someone's room and a parrot **** him !

edit: I can't believe the Otto Censor bleeped out "n i p p e d "  ! Whaat?  Puppy dogs n i p , one takes a

n i p of sherry, etc. I must be missing some secret sexual connotation of the word.

Ok, the parrot pecked him .

• Like 3

I think a lot of us have a few films that we can watch any time they are on, and THE THIRD MAN is like that for me.

I love this one. It is quite experimental, such as with the type of background music, and all those Dutch Tilts, more than any other movie. And those large vast street scenes at night that required so many big arc lights and wet streets to reflect the light to brighten up the wide night scenes. And all the Austrian actors in the film, who were really good.

I study the film every time it is on. By the way, the older lady eating the soup in the cafe is an English actress, suggesting to me that the indoor scenes in the cafe were filmed in England. She was in HOBSON'S CHOICE, and her name was Madge Brindley.

137549.jpg

• Like 1

I am rewatching it this afternoon. The zither music is more annoying than ever. I didn't mind it before (almost liked it) but it is clear to me that they are using it to hypnotize the audience into a state of zombified entertainment. Why? So they can get away with what amounts to a weak mystery. The story tries to reinvent the McGuffin-- when all they had to do was call Hitchcock.

This is an over-rated 3 star film that people have lauded as a 4-star masterpiece-- with the zither no doubt still ringing in their ears as they walk through the cornfield and down to the cemetery.

I detest this film's score; and film scores are my favorite genre of music.  It just annoys, constantly, and keeps me from ever getting involved in the story.  I can barely tell you the plot of this film, and I've tried watching it, about 30 times throughout my lifetime.  The music prevents me from engaging, every time.  Even THE ODESSA FILE, which also has one of the worst scores ever written, is better than it; and that's saying something.

• Like 1

I detest this film's score; and film scores are my favorite genre of music.  It just annoys, constantly, and keeps me from ever getting involved in the story.  I can barely tell you the plot of this film, and I've tried watching it, about 30 times throughout my lifetime.  The music prevents me from engaging, every time.  Even THE ODESSA FILE, which also has one of the worst scores ever written, is better than it; and that's saying something.

Exactly. It is entirely intrusive. It dominates the action more than the tunes do in a musical-- which gives you an idea how they abused the technique and messed up the soundtrack for this film. 

I mean, after a point, we have to admit the zither has become the star (the main character) in THE THIRD MAN. Everything else is extra, if you can make sense of it.

• Like 1

Maybe you should turn the volume down all the way and turn on closed captioning. Then provide some of your own music in the background. You might concentrate better.

;)

• Like 2

Funny, so many people have complained about the zither music. I don't mind it at all, and I'm very choosy about music. I think it sort of "goes" with the film.

Anybody remember the cheese shop sketch from Monty Python? There's something that sounds like a zither but apparently it's a "bazukie" (whatever that is.) It too, plays incessently, throughout the sketch. Finally, John Cleese (whose name, by the way, rhymes with "cheese"), frustrated and exasperated beyond all human endurance - there is NO cheese in the shop ! - bellows,

SHUT THAT BLOODY BAZUKI !

Oh, what the hell, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yci3Fa6zDLg

• Like 1

"Seriously". I really like The Third Man. I've seen it several times. It's a mystery to me why it suddenly has no Canadian rights for TCM to air it, or at least, nobody knows who does own the Canadian rights. I never get to see it on TCM anymore (I know that the opposite is the OP's complaint.)

I like this film for many reasons; the main one being that it's extremely atmospheric, I love the location setting of post-war Vienna, it's wonderfully evocative. I enjoy all the actors in the film - one of Joseph Cotton's best (and that's saying something.)

Trevor Howard's so good in this, too.The man radiates integrity.

It's got so many deservedly "iconic" images. I'll name just three: the famous ferris wheel scene, Orson desperately trying to flee the authorities in Vienna's underground labyrinthine passages, and that wintry treed avenue where Anna walks right past Holly as though she doesn't see him.

I also love some of the odd little scenes that kind of show how it seems the whole world is against poor old Holly, like the one where he sneaks into someone's room and a parrot **** him !

edit: I can't believe the Otto Censor bleeped out "n i p p e d "  ! Whaat?  Puppy dogs n i p , one takes a

n i p of sherry, etc. I must be missing some secret sexual connotation of the word.

Ok, the parrot pecked him .

I really like The Third Man too.  I love the mood of the film and I agree that the setting is wonderful.  I honestly don't even remember the zither music that everyone's complaining about, it must not have bothered me when I watched it.  I felt that the music that played fit well with the ambiance of the film.  I'm a fan of Joseph Cotten and with Shadow of Doubt, this is one of his best films.  I thought Orson Welles was excellent as the villain, Harry Lime.  I loved his entrance in the film--shrouded in shadows. 

snapshot20110207133737.jpg

I recorded this film when it was on last night.  When I finish my yard work for the day, I think I'm going to settle in for the night with this movie.  I haven't seen it in awhile. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings