Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leading lady: RUTH HUSSEY

TopBilled

Yesterday, TCM aired a batch of Ruth Hussey films. There is something about her I like-- can't quite put my finger on it. She's definitely of her era, but she does have a timeless quality too.

TCM aired three of her MGM films and one RKO title: FAST AND FURIOUS; BLACKMAIL; MARRIED BACHELOR; and TENDER COMRADE.

screen-shot-2015-05-30-at-9-32-20-am.png

One Ruth Hussey film I recommend is RICH MAN, POOR GIRL. She plays Lana Turner's older sister who is about to marry a man from the right side of the tracks (Robert Young). It's rather nicely directed, and Hussey has chemistry with Young in spades.

Yesterday, TCM aired a batch of Ruth Hussey films. There is something about her I like-- can't quite put my finger on it. She's definitely of her era, but she does have a timeless quality too.

TCM aired three of her MGM films and one RKO title: FAST AND FURIOUS; BLACKMAIL; MARRIED BACHELOR; and TENDER COMRADE.

screen-shot-2015-05-30-at-9-32-20-am.png

One Ruth Hussey film I recommend is RICH MAN, POOR GIRL. She plays Lana Turner's older sister who is about to marry a man from the right side of the tracks (Robert Young). It's rather nicely directed, and Hussey has chemistry with Young in spades.

Didn't like Married Bachelor.

She was wonderful in The Uninvited.

Didn't like Married Bachelor.

She was wonderful in The Uninvited.

I am watching a disc I have of Hedy Lamarr films. And the last title is H.M. PULHAM ESQ, where Hedy is an old flame of Bob Young's. Ruth Hussey is the wife. Young & Hussey have a real natural chemistry in their films together. I enjoy watching them on screen.

I am watching a disc I have of Hedy Lamarr films. And the last title is H.M. PULHAM ESQ, where Hedy is an old flame of Bob Young's. Ruth Hussey is the wife. Young & Hussey have a real natural chemistry in their films together. I enjoy watching them on screen.

Speaking of chemistry, isn't it amazing what the right chemistry does?

I thought Conflict was enjoyable, but on re-watch I was dismayed at how miscast Bogey was. Greenstreet with his chuckle and chorts was downright annoying. Man, he figured that murder out quick, didn't he? Turned both it and Horn Blows At Midnight off.

Alexis Smith was no Ann Sheridan, either. Or Ruth Hussey, to keep on topic.

• Like 1

Speaking of chemistry, isn't it amazing what the right chemistry does?

I thought Conflict was enjoyable, but on re-watch I was dismayed at how miscast Bogey was. Greenstreet with his chuckle and chorts was downright annoying. Man, he figured that murder out quick, didn't he? Turned both it and Horn Blows At Midnight off.

Alexis Smith was no Ann Sheridan, either. Or Ruth Hussey, to keep on topic.

Exactly. Chemistry can help us forget how implausible a story may be, and it may allow us to overlook other script weaknesses. After all, the idea is to root for the main couple in most of these movies. 

The Robert Young-Ruth Hussey pairings (they made several films together at MGM in the late 30s/early 40s) usually occur in light-weight studio confections that do not display a lot of intelligent writing or deep emoting. But for the most part, they are highly watchable thanks in large part to the two leads.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings