Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where are?

Swithin

WAIT! That somewhat innocuous "Male Full Frontal" thread is GONE already???

MAN, I hadn't notice THAT, and was just waitin' for JUST the right moment to spring one of my "patented" non sequiturs in THAT baby!!!

Geeez, I tell ya, there are SO many times around here where I envision our Moderators this way...

5c87d9f676f85e06b18fae906855fe7c.jpg

(...I wonder if I'm not far off???)

LOL

Actually, there may be a couple of members suiting that particular photo, buddy ol' pal.

• Like 1

I never knew about this thread before.

The first person who came to my mind was ValentineXavier. I see someone did already mention him. I never saw him here again after the "revamp" in the spring of 2014. I'm guessing that for some reason he couldn't get re-registered. A lot of people had trouble with that.

I really miss him. Val was smart, articulate, and funny. He liked a lot of "underground" movies and foreign films. He was a regular contributor to the 20th Century Vole thread.

Another poster who disappeared after the first  year or so I began posting here was LoveFilmNoir. I really liked her, too. Again, I think she's already been mentioned.

I know the name sprocketman has already come up. Damn, he was funny ! Mainly in the acerbic way he'd correct someone's grammar or spelling. He wrote well himself (of course, he'd have to !) and was  very knowledgable about movies.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned clore yet.   clore was a very intelligent poster and an exceptionally nice person. I wish he'd come back.

And what about johnbabe? Always talking about Greta Garbo. Poor old johnbabe, where are you? I actually kind of liked him, even though his threads were always about the same thing.

There's my 2 cents' worth.

• Like 1

The first person who came to my mind was ValentineXavier. I see someone did already mention him. I never saw him here again after the "revamp" in the spring of 2014. I'm guessing that for some reason he couldn't get re-registered. A lot of people had trouble with that.

I really miss him. Val was smart, articulate, and funny. He liked a lot of "underground" movies and foreign films. He was a regular contributor to the 20th Century Vole thread.

I don't expect anyone to look at the first post, but I started this thread (down here, which is the right place for it) because I was particularly wondering about two posters: markbeckuaf and obrienmundy. Regarding Val, he was as you say smart; I would assume that if had any trouble re-registering with the name ValentineXavier, he would have registered with another name and told us about it. I hope he's ok. I will remind you that he used to say that he wasn't online at home -- only at work at a library, in the evening. So maybe he retired or something and doesn't have regular access now.

Another poster who disappeared after the first  year or so I began posting here was LoveFilmNoir. I really liked her, too. Again, I think she's already been mentioned.

I know the name sprocketman has already come up. Damn, he was funny ! Mainly in the acerbic way he'd correct someone's grammar or spelling. He wrote well himself (of course, he'd have to !) and was  very knowledgable about movies.

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned clore yet.   clore was a very intelligent poster and an exceptionally nice person. I wish he'd come back.

And what about johnbabe? Always talking about Greta Garbo. Poor old johnbabe, where are you? I actually kind of liked him, even though his threads were always about the same thing.

Well, I've tried to fill in for sprocketman for jumping on people's grammar and spelling.

Well, I've tried to fill in for sprocketman for jumping on people's grammar and spelling.

I believe instead of your use of the preposition "for" the second time in your above sentence, you should have used the preposition "by", DGF.

(...sorry, couldn't resist...yeah yeah, I know, "try harder") ;)

Does this also mean that George Brent's posterior has been "cleaned up" too? And that he can now "Go Commando" without fear?

(...well, if he were still around anyway)

In a perfect world......(SIGH)

ValentineXavier came to my mind a little while ago.  I wonder what happened to him?  He was a nice poster, and funny. flashback42 also hasn't been around in a while.  He used to like to post in the "Photo Captioning Fun" thread in the Games forum and is also a nice person.

I'd forgotten about him (Val) So many people have come and gone. :(

I wish someone would post a photo of George Brent's posterior for posterity.

Doubt there'd be much there to photograph at this point...............

Though if that was the biggest mass it would be the last to "go!"

• Like 1

I think johnbabe was a she. I dont really miss Sprocketman's constant spelling/grammar corrections...........

I'm sure many of you remember another very likable member and frequent poster from the past, a big Peter Lorre fan, and who primarily used to post very late at night and went by the moniker "ugaarte"...

fb4360905034d5512307fcfebfd3bfd1.jpg

(...though I've forgotten why he said he added the second 'a' in the name)

I miss the show business encyclopedic knowledge of the Movie Professor who had worked with Ed Sullivan, among others. I had a pm exchange with him and he was a very nice guy, offering to supply me with whatever information he could if I wanted to ask him.

Of course, I also miss sweet Lori, and her devotion to Mr. Garfield.

Amd what happened to Valeska Surrat, a fast wit with a great knowledge on the silent cinema.

• Like 2

We were looking for a couple of threads we saw yesterday and wondered why they had disappeared.

The original posts seemed innocuous enough and were about interesting topics.

What happened?

GordonCole, welcome to the TCM boards, and I hope you enjoy them. And stay.

"That said", I hope the comment I'm about to make here doesn't put you off.

My theory as to what happened to the posts  and threads you're referring to is that one of the board moderators here - the one who seems to take their job the most seriously ( but this is not necessarily a good thing) and is the most, shall we say, zealous, deleted them.

Sometimes posts - and even entire threads - get deleted here with little to no explanation. It's all part of growing up and being British    American   Canadian  whathaveyou.  (Sorry, I am irrelevantly paraphrasing Monty Python.)

We were looking for a couple of threads we saw yesterday and wondered why they had disappeared.

The original posts seemed innocuous enough and were about interesting topics.

What happened?

Sometimes threads are just moved from one forum to another (because they don't 'fix' the description of the forum) and sometimes they are deleted.   e.g.  there was a thread where someone was selling fake passports and other fake legal documents.   This will be deleted since it is 'spam'. 

Sometimes threads are locked when users duke it out too much  (e.g. the topic causes users to gets overly political).  Of course how much is too much,  what doesn't fit,  what gets delete, etc... is up to the moderators.

Or, as I said, sometimes the moderator is just over-zealous.

Maybe they have to meet some kind of quota..."You should be deleting a minimum of 5 posts per day",  or something.

Note that this thread (Where are?) was moved from General Discussions to Chit-Chat.    So maybe there is a moving quota as well.