Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Boards Are Humming

Yup. Curious thread. 

Ah well, my dog and I are having fun. :D

Hmmmm...so does your dog have strong Love/Hate issues TOO???

'Cause thankfully, MY dog seems to like almost everybody and seldom seems to hold a grudge for much longer than a few minutes.

(...well okay...he STILL always get's a little perturbed whenever he hears the Mailman's delivery truck, but other than THAT, he's a pretty easygoin' little guy over all!!!)

LOL

Oh yeah, I sure did. What a great showman Cab was, and I always loved how the Nicholas Bros incorporated that slide-step into their tap dancing so well. 

(...and yeah I agree...would've been great to have seen them teamed with Astaire, wouldn't it)

Dargo and FL 293: Are you familiar with the Betty Boop cartoon Snow White? It has Cab Calloway singing "St. James Infirmary." It's a strange and wonderful cartoon, here's the clip of Cab singing, through a cartoon character:

(Cab's "Minnie the Moocher" is used in another Betty Boop cartoon.)

• Like 1

Dargo and FL 293: Are you familiar with the Betty Boop cartoon Snow White? It has Cab Calloway singing "St. James Infirmary." It's a strange and wonderful cartoon, here's the clip of Cab singing, through a cartoon character:

(Cab's "Minnie the Moocher" is used in another Betty Boop cartoon.)

Ah yes, Swithin, I do vaguely remember watching this cartoon short years and years ago. Probably the last time as a kid and before I might have recognized that being Cab's voice and before I even knew who Cab was.

(...btw...I think you might want to place a little warning about your link there...there's a clown in it and you never know who you might inadvertently frighten if they're not advised of this beforehand, ya know...ain't that right, TOM???!!!) ;)

LOL 

Ah yes, Swithin, I do vaguely remember watching this cartoon short years and years ago. Probably the last time as a kid and before I might have recognized that being Cab's voice and before I even knew who Cab was.

(...btw...I think you might want to place a little warning about your link there...there's a clown it and you never know who you might inadvertently frighten if they're not advised of this beforehand, ya know...ain't that right, TOM???!!!) ;)

LOL 

The use of that song is kind of interesting in a kid's cartoon, as the song is about venereal disease. The original version was an old British ballad called "The Trooper Cut Down in His Prime." It inspired many versions, including "The Streets of Laredo," though they were cleaned up a bit.

The use of that song is kind of interesting in a kid's cartoon, as the song is about venereal disease. The original version was an old British ballad called "The Trooper Cut Down in His Prime." It inspired many versions, including "The Streets of Laredo," though they were cleaned up a bit.

Interesting!!!

Well, it's never too early to scare the little tykes into being celibate until they're of the age of consent, ya know!!! ;)

(...good thing I never had kids, huh?!) 

LOL

• Like 1

Yup.

Yup.

(...though unless we're channeling Gary Cooper here, I always thought the expression was "yep"?...but then again, I DID always like Coop, and even though I know some people say they think he's a little too "stoic" or "wooden", and besides I DON'T think he ever resorted to constantly quoting himself, and something of which I've always felt was a feather in his cap...or cowboy hat, anyway)

• Like 1

Yup.

(...though unless we're channeling Gary Cooper here, I always thought the expression was "yep"?...but then again, I DID always like Coop, and even though I know some people say they think he's a little too "stoic" or "wooden", and besides I DON'T think he ever resorted to constantly quoting himself, and something of which I've always felt was a feather in his cap...or cowboy hat, anyway)

"Yep" is the casual "Yes". "Yup" is the casual "Yus".

I like "yup" but it has to be used correctly. It provides extra emphasis and should be used spontaneously. It should be enunciated quickly and then the speaker needs to move on with what else he/she is going to say to qualify the affirmative. It should be used only sparingly. It is most effective when someone has said something that is really obvious and you are agreeing.

IMHO

:P

Edited by laffite

I like "yup" but it has to be used correctly. It provides extra emphasis and should be used spontaneously. It should be enunciated quickly and then the speaker needs to move on with what else he/she is going to say to qualify the affirmative. It should be used only sparingly.

IMHO

:P

It sounds stupid. Always did. People who use it sound stupid.

Hey DGF! Have you noticed that someone around here is attempting to take YOUR mantle as the preeminent "Person of Few Words" on these TCM boards, and what with all these simple(-minded) little "yup" postings of theirs? And of course, even though said other someone and all their solitary "yup" postings doesn't possess NEARLY the cleverness YOU usually exhibit with all YOUR short but sweet comments!

And so, are you JUST gonna sit back and allow THAT to happen???

(...gotta say that THAT sure doesn't sound like the DGF I'VE come to know and respect after all this time around here anyway, dude!!!) ;)

LOL

• Like 3

The use of that song is kind of interesting in a kid's cartoon, as the song is about venereal disease. ...

Well, here's the thing about those Betty Boop cartoons, and a lot of other cartoons that were made around that time  (like the early Popeye ones, for instance) :  I'm pretty sure they were not made for kids. They were definitely not kids' cartoons. Never mind the oblique reference to VD in Cab's song, those old BB cartoons were loaded with sexual innuendo.

And, as I'm sure you know Swithin baby, cartoons were shown in movie cinemas before the feature film  (along with a newsreel and maybe a "short" .)  And there were just as many, if not more, adults in the audience as children.

It sounds stupid. Always did. People who use it sound stupid.

HEY now, dark ol' boy! Don't be talkin' smack about my man Coop here, dude!!!

Oh sure, so the guy SEEMED dumb enough to care about all those freakin' cowards in Hadleyville to stay and risk his life for 'em and rid the West of those low-lifes once and for all, but I'VE always preferred to think he was SMART enough to do that JUST 'cause he figured those low-lifes would track him down eventually ANYWAY!

(...and so in closing, while Coop MAY have uttered "yup" INSTEAD of "yep" all those years, he was WAY smarter than you apparently THINK!!!)

;)

Is it just me or do I hear a "humming" sound reminiscent of "The Outer Limits"    show?

Well Mr.R, IF you MIGHT be talkin' about that part of the opening of that program and when actor Vic Perrin's disembodied voice says, "WE will control the Horizontal...WE will control the Vertical", and basically implying "SOMEONE"(around here) has "control ISSUES"...well then YEAH, I suppose I can understand why you're kind'a thinkin' the way you are here, ol' buddy!!! ;)

LOL

• Like 2

Well, here's the thing about those Betty Boop cartoons, and a lot of other cartoons that were made around that time  (like the early Popeye ones, for instance) :  I'm pretty sure they were not made for kids. They were definitely not kids' cartoons. Never mind the oblique reference to VD in Cab's song, those old BB cartoons were loaded with sexual innuendo.

And, as I'm sure you know Swithin baby, cartoons were shown in movie cinemas before the feature film  (along with a newsreel and maybe a "short" .)  And there were just as many, if not more, adults in the audience as children.

Correct. The Fleischer cartoons (Betty Boop, Popeye) and the early Warner Brothers cartoons were made for an adult audience.

Here's a quick bit of info about Cab's song in the Betty Boop "Snow White:" "St. James Infirmary Blues."  [i can actually sing one of the original versions of the song ("Trooper Cut Down in His Prime") but will spare you that pain.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James_Infirmary_Blues

Another Betty Boop cartoon, "Minnie the Moocher," uses Cab singing his song of that name, which is of course rife with drug references:

"She messed around with a bloke named Smoky
She loved him though he was cokey
He took her down to Chinatown
And he showed her how to kick the gong around."

Yeah, but in later years they were shown for kids on afternoon local TV, usually by a faux cop named Officer Joe Bolton, or someone like that. That's how wee Swithin first saw them.

Am I wrong to suggest that many of those early cartoons were actually meant for children but the makers of the cartoons were adept and inserting little bits that were meant for adults but designed to go over the head of the kids? Did anyone ever watch Bulwinkle? Well, I didn't but I've read that that show had a rep for that sort of thing. Sometimes quite indiscreet, yet I believe there must have been a considerable viewership among children.

• Like 2

Am I wrong to suggest that many of those early cartoons were actually meant for children but the makers of the cartoons were adept and inserting little bits that were meant for adults but designed to go over the head of the kids? Did anyone ever watch Bulwinkle? Well, I didn't but I've read that that show had a rep for that sort of thing. Sometimes quite indiscreet, yet I believe there must have been a considerable viewership among children.

WAIT!!! Are you sayin' you DIDN'T watch that classic Jay Ward cartoon series, laffite???!!!

"Whatsamatta U" anyway, HUH?!!!

(...dude, gotta say my estimation of you just dropped a little bit here, and I AIN'T got "nothin' up my sleeve" by sayin' that here!!!) ;)

• Like 1

WAIT!!! Are you sayin' you DIDN'T watch that classic Jay Ward cartoon series, laffite???!!!

"Whatsamatta U" anyway, HUH?!!!

(...dude, gotta say my estimation of you just dropped a little bit here, and I AIN'T got "nothin' up my sleeve" by sayin' that here!!!) ;)

I know, I'm disgusting! I'm like, nowheresville, man. I have all kinds of terrible things like that. For instance (this just came to mind) I'm not as a big of fan of the Coen Brothers as everyone else seems to be. And that's putting it mildly. How about this for an admission: I did not like the one about the dude, I can't even remember the name of it. I've recently watched Fargo and I found some major problems. Formerly, I was was a big Fargo fan. It's a good watch but flawed in my opinion. Stay tuned, I'm going to write a column (we say columns now don't we? Don't worry I'm not planning any seasons....yet) in the Just watched thread hopefully soon (with a particular emphasis on Fargo, the television series, which I liked a lot better, 10 episodes of about 45m each). So please don't miss my, uh, column on that, if you can. Unless of course you're set to put me on Ignore for reasons of my total uncoolness for not recognizing the merits of what seems to me to de rigeur for the rest of the world. I would not blame you one bit. I am eminently ignorable (as well as ignorant, say, of the some of these finer things). There's solace in being hopeless. No one expects anything of you any more.

;)

;)

;)

laffite

• Like 4

Well laffite, I agree with you on Cohen Brothers. I find their success rate spotty. I like some of their efforts more than others.

BUT

I am very glad they are out there and get backing to make movies. They are at least creative and unusual in their "art form". Compare what they do to all the "teen boy oriented action block buster" movies Hollywood's trying to spoon feed us.

It's kind of the same as Woody Allen- you may not like him personally, his movies may be spotty, but at least he's making them and giving us some kind of alternative to Hollywood dreck.

• Like 7

Nope.

(...just wanna emphasize here DGF that  I ain't ALSO tryin' to wrestle your "mantle" anyway from ya here what with with this above latest short little reply of mine to ya...just thought it seemed kind'a "congruous" somehow with some of these OTHER short replies in this here thread, THAT'S all...and so don't worry, as my NEXT reply in dark's thread here is almost SURE to be longer and more involved, read: "wordier", than THIS one was and thus your "mantle" is safe from being "usurped" from THIS quarter anyway!) ;)

LOL

HEY now, dark ol' boy! Don't be talkin' smack about my man Coop here, dude!!!

Oh sure, so the guy SEEMED dumb enough to care about all those freakin' cowards in Hadleyville to stay and risk his life for 'em and rid the West of those low-lifes once and for all, but I'VE always preferred to think he was SMART enough to do that JUST 'cause he figured those low-lifes would track him down eventually ANYWAY!

(...and so in closing, while Coop MAY have uttered "yup" INSTEAD of "yep" all those years, he was WAY smarter than you apparently THINK!!!)

;)

Cowboy days.

Nobody with 3 digits worth of IQ should be doing it anymore. Not even learning-disabled Presidents like junior.

• Like 1