Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arcane phrases from the classic era

I knew Donald Trump before he was lousy with virginity.

In that case DGF, perhaps you should once again consider changing your handle around here to something like "DGOL"?

(...that would of course be short for: "DownGoesOscarLevant")

;)

1st:

The Moderator messed up my Yiddish post down there because I had the audacity to censor mySELF

Talk about a PUTZ!

But, it also showed disrespect for the late, great BUDDY HACKETT!

OK  back to the show.....

What then, would a fender skirt be?

A woman who lounges on car fenders?

Or a woman who plays guitar?

And STILL nobody gave me an answer as to how the word "puss" got to mean the face. 

Sepiatone

....And STILL nobody gave me an answer as to how the word "puss" got to mean the face. 

Sepiatone

GEEEEZ, Sepia! What?! You suddenly turnin' into DGF here now and won't look this stuff up for yourself or somethin'?!!!

;)

Okay, here's what I found out about the word "puss" being used as slang for someone's face, per the Online Etymology Dictionary:

"the face" (but sometimes, especially in pugilism slang, "the mouth"), 1890, slang, from Irish "p-u-s" "lip, mouth."

(...had to re-edit the spelling of the Irish word from which this word deprives and add those dashes between the letters, 'cause for some reason Mr. Auto-Censor didn't like the word "puss" spelled here without the second 's')

Edited by Dargo

"catawampus"  adj / adv...def: misaligned, askew

My mother used to use this word occasionally.

(...and an old phrase she'd occasionally use in reply to me as a child and when I would mention to her something I really wanted to have but seemed pretty much unattainable: "Yes, and people in Hell want ice water too!"...when's the last time ya heard THAT one?!)

• Like 1