Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arcane phrases from the classic era

Did the term Palooka come from the character Joe Palooka or was that character derived from the term?

From Wiktionary:

Used in the US since the 1920s, originally primarily of boxers. Popularized by Jack Conway of Variety,[2][3] who also popularized baloney and bimbo. Further popularized by Ham Fisher in his comic strip Joe Palooka, about a boxer (published in newspapers since 1930, particularly popular in 1940s).[4]

• Like 1

How about the phrase "In like Flynn"? I believe it was derived from the legendary romantic escapades of the movies' favorite swashbuckler, Errol Flynn.

Reminds me of the verb "Bogarting" as in to "Bogart your way through a crowd". Which basically means to forcefully push your way in with no regard to the other people who might be in your way.   

We used this expression all my life from the 70's forward. And we all knew what it meant.

Reminds me of the verb "Bogarting" as in to "Bogart your way through a crowd". Which basically means to forcefully push your way in with no regard to the other people who might be in your way.   

We used this expression all my life from the 70's forward. And we all knew what it meant.

As a verb, we only used it like this:

v.
1969, "to keep a joint in your mouth," dangling from the lip like Humphrey Bogart's cigarette in the old movies, instead of passing it on. First attested in "Easy Rider." The word was also used in the 1960s with notions of "get something by intimidation, be a tough guy" (again with reference to the actor and the characters he typically played). In old drinking slang, Captain Cork was "a man slow in passing the bottle."

And rat fink was very popular.  If memory serves they even came up with plastic rat fink figures in the early sixties.

Yep Bogie, the "Rat Fink" character was the creation of SoCal artist, cartoonist and custom car builder Ed "Big Daddy" Roth (1931-2001).

(...I'll bet more than a few of us male Baby Boomers back in the day either had a T-shirt emblazoned with that character on it or some other monster-like creature operating some motor vehicle, or had glued together a plastic car model that was designed by Roth) 

Ed_Big_Daddy_Roth_decal_07.JPG

What about the meaning of words that has changed over time i.e. gay.

The misappropriation of that word still bothers me. Before the late 60's, it was very common to hear it in songs - a great word for rhyming. Then we lost it when it was changed to mean men doing men.

I still refuse to use it in a sexual way. When I use it, it means festive, carefree, happy - like it's supposed to.

For the other, I use the word "homosexual".

• Like 1

What about the meaning of words that has changed over time i.e. gay.

I am reading Alan Turing's biography (think The Imitation Game) and was quite surprised to hear that term was in use as far back as the 1930s, among homosexual men in America.

The misappropriation of that word still bothers me. Before the late 60's, it was very common to hear it in songs - a great word for rhyming. Then we lost it when it was changed to mean men doing men.

I still refuse to use it in a sexual way. When I use it, it means festive, carefree, happy - like it's supposed to.

For the other, I use the word "homosexual".

Funny I was just discussing this last night when I jammed with my friend (who happens to be homosexual).   He said the use of gay to mean homosexual men in the USA started in the 1930s,   mostly in NYC.      e.g..  gay bars were meeting places for homosexual men.

Funny I was just discussing this last night when I jammed with my friend (who happens to be homosexual).   He said the use of gay to mean homosexual men in the USA started in the 1930s,   mostly in NYC.      e.g..  gay bars were meeting places for homosexual men.

Didn't mean that to the rest of us. I blame the media of the late 60's onward for that capitulation.

Yeah, yeah, okay. Say what ya want about the "misappropriation of the word 'gay' by homosexuals", but what REALLY frosted ME back in the day and when I was younger and weighted less than I do today AND during the time it seemed I could just merrily skip through life without a care in the world...well...when that phrase "He's light in the loafers" came to mean what IT did, THAT was the day I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

;)

Yeah, yeah, okay. Say what ya want about the "misappropriation of the word 'gay' by homosexuals", but what REALLY frosted ME back in the day and when I was younger and weighted less than I do today AND during the time it seemed I could just easily skip through life without a care in the world...well...when that phrase "He's light in the loafers" came to mean what IT did, THAT was the day I said ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

;)

Well, if you are going to "skip through life," you are asking for it.

Yep Bogie, the "Rat Fink" character was the creation of SoCal artist, cartoonist and custom car builder Ed "Big Daddy" Roth (1931-2001).

(...I'll bet more than a few of us male Baby Boomers back in the day either had a T-shirt emblazoned with that character on it or some other monster-like creature operating some motor vehicle, or had glued together a plastic car model that was designed by Roth) 

Oh yea.  I recall "Beatnik Bandit" so well.   I remember gluing it together in my bedroom after spray painting

it gold and slapping on some lovely decals. Those were the days!

• Like 1

Well, if you are going to "skip through life," you are asking for it.

But, but...it was always such good exercise, Rich!!!

I mean, THINK about it here, dude! Why do ya think so many of us straight American guys are so fat and out of SHAPE now days, HUH???

Uh-huh, yep. 'Cause of a lack of EXERCISE!!! Well,THAT of course and a diet high in fat and sugar, and ingesting WAY too many calories each and every day of ALL kinds.

(...and so, maybe just maybe MORE of us straight American guys SHOULD skip around more and LOSE this archaic thought about this, RIGHT?!) ;)

But, but...it was always such good exercise, Rich!!!

I mean, THINK about it here, dude! Why do ya think so many of us straight American guys are so fat and out of SHAPE now days, HUH???

Uh-huh, yep. 'Cause of a lack of EXERCISE!!! Well,THAT of course and a diet high in fat and sugar, and ingesting WAY too many calories each and every day of ALL kinds.

(...and so, maybe just maybe MORE of us straight American guys SHOULD skip around more and LOSE this archaic thought about this, RIGHT?!) ;)

We're gettin' there.

What's the homosexual community up to now - 20, 25 percent of the population?

We're gettin' there.

What's the homosexual community up to now - 20, 25 percent of the population?

Well, truth be known here dark, when I still lived in SoCal, and the last time I drove through West Hollywood along Santa Monica Blvd, I DIDN'T see a whole lot of the people skipping there EITHER!!!

(...though I DO have to admit it's been a while since I've been to San Francisco, and so I couldn't tell ya the skipping rate among the population there lately) 

Well, truth be known here dark, when I still lived in SoCal, and the last time I drove through West Hollywood along Santa Monica Blvd, I DIDN'T see a whole lot of the people skipping there EITHER!!!

(...though I DO have to admit it's been a while since I've been to San Francisco, and so I couldn't tell ya the skipping rate among the population there lately) 

Well, I'm with you. I think skipping is good exercise - and fun too.

Although last time I tried it, my shoe stuck and I fell flat on my face. I hate being in my sixties. Wish I was still 37.

Although last time I tried it, my show stuck and I fell flat on my face. I hate being in my sixties. Wish I was still 37.

Your "show" stuck???

I didn't know you were a professional performer?!!! In skipping, or any OTHER of "The Arts"!

(...yeah yeah...I know you meant "shoe" there...and not as Ed Sullivan used to call his "really big show") ;)

Got one..!  Frisk

"Frisk" took on less playful connotations in the argot of thieves in 18th-century England. In the 1789 book "Life's Painter of Variegated Characters," George Parker included a glossary of "cant," as the lingo of the underworld was called, and "frisk" appears as both a noun and verb suggesting quick movement over clothing as part of a pat-down.

Word origin HERE

2w1zguu.jpg

Although last time I tried it, my shoe stuck and I fell flat on my face. I hate being in my sixties. Wish I was still 37.

I haven't "skipped" since I was a kid!

Well, when I was a teen-ager, I "skipped" a lot of school!  It's the main reason I graduated two years later than I should have.

In my 30's I used to skip ROPE a lot for excersize.  Haven't done THAT in a long while...

Oh, thought of another old time phrase heard in old movies...

"On the LAM"!

Know what it means, but how did it come about?

Sepiatone

Since gays can't reproduce, there seems to be a limit on growth rate.

What makes you think that? Homosexual people have all the parts needed for reproduction. However, the reproduction of people does not explain the increase in homosexuality - it cannot be planned that a new baby will be of the homosexual persuasion, any more than a "straight" baby can be planned. The apparent increase in the numbers probably has more to do with the comfort of "coming out", compared to earlier times. Plus, it's very much in style - especially where it concerns females and bi's.

• Like 1