Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arcane phrases from the classic era

Heard last night -

Ruth Roman to Steve Cochran "Are you going to take a powder?"

I'm just glad she changed her hair back to brunette.    I loved that scene where the two were walking along the road and Ruth was dressed in jeans and a white top.   She looked great.     

In "Baby Take a Bow" (1934) Welch (Alan Dinehart) was trying to open a carpet sweeper, he said what's the combination to this crib?  

That's a strange slang I've only heard once.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Police use to be referred to as the fuzz and detectives gumshoe

Two of my all-time favorite films both use the word lookit (short for 'look'), as in "Now lookit, Dorothy, you ain't usin' your head about Miss Gulch..."

In "Independence Day" (1996) the little kid said that.

MommY! Lookit!

996IDY_Ross_Bagley_001.jpg

What about the meaning of words that has changed over time i.e. gay.

I just put a hold on Rouben Mamoulian's The Gay Desperado dvd at my library.  It is listed online as being in the gay and lesbian section.

What makes you think that? Homosexual people have all the parts needed for reproduction. However, the reproduction of people does not explain the increase in homosexuality - it cannot be planned that a new baby will be of the homosexual persuasion, any more than a "straight" baby can be planned. The apparent increase in the numbers probably has more to do with the comfort of "coming out", compared to earlier times. Plus, it's very much in style - especially where it concerns females and bi's.

On a "semi-related" note, I was present at a grandniece's recent baby shower.  There was a huge banner with the name "EMILIO" over the table she and the baby's father sat .  I asked, "Are they SURE it's going to be a BOY?"  and when I was told they WERE, I replied;

"Well, there WAS a time that BRUCE JENNER'S parents thought THEY had a boy!"  :P

Sepiatone

• Like 1

In "Baby Take a Bow" (1934) Welch (Alan Dinehart) was trying to open a carpet sweeper, he said what's the combination to this crib?  

That's a strange slang I've only heard once.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Police use to be referred to as the fuzz and detectives gumshoe

as well as the man, the heat, and "flatfoots".

What makes you think that? Homosexual people have all the parts needed for reproduction. However, the reproduction of people does not explain the increase in homosexuality - it cannot be planned that a new baby will be of the homosexual persuasion, any more than a "straight" baby can be planned. The apparent increase in the numbers probably has more to do with the comfort of "coming out", compared to earlier times. Plus, it's very much in style - especially where it concerns females and bi's.

So a girl who wants to be "in" is likely to become gay, until it goes out of style?

There are various estimates of the LGBT population in the U.S. It is usually in the 3% to 5% range. I doubt that is very different from what it was years ago.People are just more comfortable today about being out.

I've heard some homosexual organizations measure it at 10 - 15 percent. Still lots not out yet, apparently.

With all the young women now finding it stylish to lz out, I wouldn't be surprised if it was up even higher.

Reading the recent posts in this thread, I'm beginning to think that there's some sort of immutable internet law that proclaims that all discussions, no matter what the original subject, will eventually wind up being about gays.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Like 1

The 10% figure traces back to Kinsey and it's likely not very reliable.

Some gay groups might have an interest in keeping with a higher

number, just as some anti-gay groups could have the same interest.

But the 3% to 5% range is now generally accepted. I don't know about

young women suddenly finding it stylish to be lesbians. Could be.

I have a gay friend who tries to insist that ALL men are gay, they just don't KNOW it yet, or have trouble facing the truth!

I'll only go so far as to admit, facetiously, that I'm a lesbian  "trapped" in a man's body!  :P

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Reading the recent posts in this thread, I'm beginning to think that there's some sort of immutable internet law that proclaims that all discussions, no matter what the original subject, will eventually wind up being about gays.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I am hereby "outing" Tor Johnson.