Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arcane phrases from the classic era

What makes you think that? Homosexual people have all the parts needed for reproduction. However, the reproduction of people does not explain the increase in homosexuality - it cannot be planned that a new baby will be of the homosexual persuasion, any more than a "straight" baby can be planned. The apparent increase in the numbers probably has more to do with the comfort of "coming out", compared to earlier times. Plus, it's very much in style - especially where it concerns females and bi's.

Agree...

I have known several (many) gays and lesbians in my life (in fact the distinction seems to be a little more discerning now, as there was a time when being "gay" generally referred to either gender).

Several became parents when they were trying to conform to a "straight" lifestyle.

I can't think, off-hand, of any of their offspring "coming-out," likewise I've known many "straight" couples who sired offspring that eventually said that they were homosexual.

So whatever the percentage is, it is probably consistent across the spectrum.

Just being the son or daughter of (and being raised by) a homosexual parent does not likely up the chances that one will one day discover that they are gay themself. Any more than being the offspring of a heterosexual couple insure that one will not.

I once did a research paper on stress and fertility, and as a by product, came across a lot of very interesting related sidelines.  

One was a book called Brain Sex

http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Sex-Difference-Between-Women/dp/0385311834

Very enlightening material!

I guess in keeping with this threads "new" direction some of the arcane phrases/expressions from the classic era might be:

WARNING: today some of these expressions may appear to be quite offensive

Not sure how far back these expressions date, but I know they were commonly used by both sides when I was growing up. 

Among the gay community as self identifying expressions, and by some within the straight community as defamatory epitaphs.  

f a g,

gay,

q u e e r,

queen,

fairy,

panzy,

"poof,"

dyke,

bull dyke,

"bobby-sisters" in reference to two male police officers in a squad car (may have British roots),  

I'm sure there are many more, but the hour is late (or early) depending on.

edit: the first and third expression was auto-deleted, so I guess the other words are still acceptable for use on these boards.

I guess in keeping with this threads "new" direction some of the arcane phrases/expressions from the classic era might be:

WARNING: today some of these expressions may appear to be quite offensive

Not sure how far back these expressions date, but I know they were commonly used by both sides when I was growing up. 

Among the gay community as self identifying expressions, and by some within the straight community as defamatory epitaphs.  

f a g,

gay,

q u e e r,

queen,

fairy,

panzy,

"poof,"

dyke,

bull dyke,

"bobby-sisters" in reference to two male police officers in a squad car (may have British roots),  

I'm sure there are many more, but the hour is late (or early) depending on.

edit: the first and third expression was auto-deleted, so I guess the other words are still acceptable for use on these boards.

When I was in grade school (50's, early 60's) the most common term in my neighborhood was "fruit".

High school - after 1964 - is when my favorite expression ever became most popular in my area of town. It still makes me smile. It was "gearbox". Handed down from older brothers, I remember. Only old boomers like me, from my area of Toronto, seem to remember it. Don't know if it was said anywhere else, but that was the term through my teens.

When I was in grade school (50's, early 60's) the most common term in my neighborhood was "fruit".

High school - after 1964 - is when my favorite expression ever became most popular in my area of town. It still makes me smile. It was "gearbox". Handed down from older brothers, I remember. Only old boomers like me, from my area of Toronto, seem to remember it. Don't know if it was said anywhere else, but that was the term through my teens.

So, basically dark, back in the day you would occasionally be overheard in Toronto saying..."Yeppers, that hoser's a real gearbox over there, eh?!"...RIGHT?! ;)

• Like 1

Boys who acted like so were also called sissies. In the old days some fathers try to remedy that  using "tough" methods.

"gearbox" does sound rather odd for this type of thing.  Sounds more like what would have been used back then in place of how we use "package" today!

Yeah, someone brought up some others that sound kind of lame this day and age, but does bring back memories---

"neat"

"swell"

"bad" (meaning good)

"gear"( the same as "cool" in my area)

"royal"

"t i t s"

Sepiatone

• Like 1

So, basically dark, back in the day you would occasionally be overheard in Toronto saying..."Yeppers, that hoser's a real gearbox over there, eh?!"...RIGHT?! ;)

We didn't use the word "hoser" back then. That was Bob & Doug McKenzie creation, started in the early 80's - a derivative of the term "hose bag", most of us assumed..

So, most often we'd say things like "what are you, a gearbox?" or "that guy's a gearbox" or just sometimes "effin gearbox" to each other, good-natured put-down like.

I remember once when I was watching 'Reflections in a Golden Eye' in the theatre and Brando was puting cold cream on his face, I heard someone behind me say "gearbox". Funny how some terms get really popular for a while. But as we got older, the f word just seemed to overwhelm society to the point where those more fun epithets just kinda faded from use.

And the first time I heard the term "yeppers" was late in 1983. It lasted approximately the rest of the decade and people got tired of it. There  was an episode of 'The Office' where Michael used it when talking to Jan on the phone and she barked at him "what did I say about saying yeppers!". Smart girl - as a habit, it gets real annoying, real quick.

• 2 weeks later...

"gearbox" does sound rather odd for this type of thing.  Sounds more like what would have been used back then in place of how we use "package" today!

Yeah, someone brought up some others that sound kind of lame this day and age, but does bring back memories---

"neat"

"swell"

"bad" (meaning good)

"gear"( the same as "cool" in my area)

"royal"

"t i t s"

Sepiatone

"t I t s" is no longer used? Where have I been? What has taken its place?

I wonder how old I'd have to get, and If I'll make it, before I can get away with using some of them "old timer" figures of speech.  Like;

"She's a pip!"

"Cute as a button!"

"Don't sit on your duff!"

"Boy howdy!  She's rainin' to beat the band!"

"Got more GUFF than you can shake a stick at!" 

"Tarnation!"

"He's full of beans today!"

"Bob's your uncle!"

"Slick as s n o t"  (believe it...it DID get the "star" treatment)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

"t I t s" is no longer used? Where have I been? What has taken its place?

The slang form of "teats" has always been frowned upon in civil company.

But it's still one of my favorites (it's the word that immediately pops into my head when I see an admirable pair) and I still hear it from guys all the time. They just tend to not say it too much when there's women around.

(excised from George Carlin's classic comedy routine, "The Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television")

"...and T-its doesn't even belong on the list. That is such a friendly

sounding word. It sounds like a nickname, right? "Hey, T-its, come here,
man. Hey T-its, meet Toots. Toots, T-its, T-its, Toots." It sounds like a
snack, doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is a snack. I don't mean your sexist
snack. I mean New Nabisco T-its!, and new Cheese T-its, Corn T-its,
Pizza T-its, Sesame T-its, Onion T-its, Tater T-its. "Betcha Can't Eat Just
One."

One phrase I hear over and over made by people in mainly 30's films, in reaction to a good favor is  "That's awfully white of you!". And it is said by absolutely all kinds of people in all kinds of situations! Hearing that one always makes me jump in shock, even knowing I am viewing something 80 years old.

One phrase I hear over and over made by people in mainly 30's films, in reaction to a good favor is  "That's awfully white of you!". And it is said by absolutely all kinds of people in all kinds of situations! Hearing that one always makes me jump in shock, even knowing I am viewing something 80 years old.

"White" is "good". Has always had that association, as far as I can tell.

Angels and saints are always surrounded by white light. Virgin brides dress in white. First-communion girls dress in white. Good cowboys wear white hats. Nothing cleans better than a white tornado. The Man from Glad dresses in white - and so does Mr. Clean. You don't get much gooder than those two.

"White" is "good". Has always had that association, as far as I can tell.

Angels and saints are always surrounded by white light. Virgin brides dress in white. First-communion girls dress in white. Good cowboys wear white hats. The Man from Glad dresses in white - and so does Mr. Clean. You don't get much gooder than those two.

I dunno, I used to hear "that's white of you" thrown about all the time on the DC playgrounds of the 50's and early 60's, in voices dripping with very un-ironical sarcasm, and I guarantee you it didn't have anything to do with Virgin brides or Mr. Clean.

I dunno, I used to hear "that's white of you" thrown about all the time on the DC playgrounds of the 50's and early 60's, in voices dripping with very un-ironical sarcasm, and I guarantee you it didn't have anything to do with Virgin brides or Mr. Clean.

So you've somehow missed all those "white means good" (white knight, virgin white, hospital white, etc.) allusions scattered throughout our entire human history, have you?

When people say "that's mighty white of you" in old movies (or new), they're saying "that's mighty good of you" - although they may be saying it sincerely or sarcastically, depending on the intent.

The slang form of "teats" has always been frowned upon in civil company.

But it's still one of my favorites (it's the word that immediately pops into my head when I see an admirable pair) and I still hear it from guys all the time. They just tend to not say it too much when there's women around.

AKK!  When I first brought it up I didn't MEAN it's use as slang for female breasts.  There was a time the word WAS used the same way as "cool", or "neat".  A positive endorsement.  "top of the line!" or "great!"  ie;  "Hey, man...how do you like the NEW WHEELS on my car?"  "WOW, man!  Those wheels are T I T S!" 

Got it?

Sepiatone

AKK!  When I first brought it up I didn't MEAN it's use as slang for female breasts.  There was a time the word WAS used the same way as "cool", or "neat".  A positive endorsement.  "top of the line!" or "great!"  ie;  "Hey, man...how do you like the NEW WHEELS on my car?"  "WOW, man!  Those wheels are T I T S!" 

Got it?

Never heard it until Eric Cartman started saying "that's totally t!ts" in an episode of South Park - to which Stan, Kyle and Kenny didn't have a clue.

Are you sure you're not thinking about that South Park episode and confusing it with something in real life?

Got it?

Sepiatone

So, in a typical conversation, it was t I ts this, and **** that........Hey, that woman has t i ts t I ts.

Got it?

Sepiatone

I DO remember hearing this expression used in this fashion back in the day, Sepia. Except, I mostly remember it being used in regard to something being "perfectly on spec" or "right on the mark" when it came to some sort of engineering and in terms of measurements.

Got it?

Sepiatone

As Dargo said, in Southern Calif, I think in the 60's, using the word "T i t s" as an exclamation of something being "right-on" or perfect, or as near to perfection as naturally (or artificially) possible.

Same time as "Bitchin" became a briefly popular expression for something that was really good.

I remember getting my face slapped on more than one occassion for using both those terms when taken out of context in mixed company. :wub: