Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RICH'S TOR JOHNSON (AND OTHER Z-MOVIE STARS) THREAD

I haven't seen the movie in some time, so I don't know. I'll have to check it out when TCM honors Tor with SOTM.

Hmmm...sorry Rich, and I hate to tell ya this, but I gotta feeling the likelihood of THAT ever coming about is probably JUST about the same as our mutually sticking to that "deal" I offered to ya the other day in this baby! ;)

Hmmm...sorry Rich, and I hate to tell ya this, but I gotta feeling the likelihood of THAT ever coming about is probably JUST about the same as our mutually sticking to that "deal" I offered to ya the other day in this baby! ;)

Guess again! I know someone who's related to a friend of someone in the TCM Backlot, and they swear to me that TCM has decided that 2018 will be the Year of the Tor! No more star of the month, no more Oscar spotlight, no new film class, no Summer Under the Stars. Only Tor Johnson, primetime every week night, 52 weeks long, over 1000 of Tor's finest performances! Get your DVR's ready today!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Guess again! I know someone who's related to a friend of someone in the TCM Backlot, and they swear to me that TCM has decided that 2018 will be the Year of the Tor! No more star of the month, no more Oscar spotlight, no new film class, no Summer Under the Stars. Only Tor Johnson, primetime every week night, 52 weeks long, over 1000 of Tor's finest performances! Get your DVR's ready today!

Great...now we'll be TOR-mented and ultimately demented with our guilty pleasure of seeing a TORrent of this 'not-so-gentle' giant.

76 years ago in hisTORy

Tor appears in Shadow of the Thin Man, and gets to fall on Myrna Loy (lucky stiff).

Director W. S. Van Dyke just told the wrestlers to go to it.

"Why should I direct them?" he asked. "They know their act better than I do."

zoqpqtm.png

• Like 1

Rich, I thought you might enjoy this read from GreenbriarPictureShows of the cast luncheon for The Black Sleep in 1956, held at the Tail o' the C o c k restaurant in LA for publicity purposes. The cast arrived by hearse, with a studio photographer there to capture the moment. This is one of the last public appearances by Lugosi, who would be dead within a few months.

aaawatch11.jpg

aaawatch3.jpg

Tor looks pretty happy. He can probably smell the meat sizzling.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-monsters-rally-for-part-two_27.html

• Like 5

Rich, I thought you might enjoy this read from GreenbriarPictureShows of the cast luncheon for The Black Sleep in 1956, held at the Tail o' the C o c k restaurant in LA for publicity purposes. The cast arrived by hearse, with a studio photographer there to capture the moment. This is one of the last public appearances by Lugosi, who would be dead within a few months.

A few days before he died, several newspapers published an interview with Lugosi entitled "How I beat the curse of dope addiction."

A few days before he died, several newspapers published an interview with Lugosi entitled "How I beat the curse of dope addiction."

Lugosi may have finally beaten the heroin but he loved his cigars right to the end, it would appear. He appears to have one in his mouth in that shot of his arrival at the restaurant, I noticed.

Lugosi may have finally beaten the heroin but he loved his cigars right to the end, it would appear. He appears to have one in his mouth in that shot of his arrival at the restaurant, I noticed.

Actually, he is smoking one of the missing tentacles from the octopus in Bride of the Monster.

80 years ago in hisTORy

October 21, 1937

In the “crowd-thrilling melodrama of the night,” a melee ensues at Foot Guard Hall in Hartford, CT. Tor Johnson, tipping the scales at 365 pounds, grapples with Sammy Cohen, described as a “228-pound New York Hebrew.” Tor tosses Cohen around the right with ease, but Cohen lands a few slaps to Tor’s mug.  After Tor falls on Cohen to win the match in five minutes and 38 seconds, Cohen refuses to shake hands with the Swede and slaps him again. A free-for-all follows, with the referee trying to restore order. Tor leaves the ring, lies in wait near the door leading to the dressing rooms, and jumps Cohen. Police and spectators participate in the fracas.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

80 years ago in hisTORy

September 28, 1937

Tor Johnson’s famous expression “time for go to bed” may have originated during a wrestling match in Montreal. Johnson, at 365 pounds, is tossed out of the wrestling ring by Felix Miquet of France. Johnson then inexplicably runs down the aisle and out into the street, with five constables running after him. Tor runs through a park and directly into Western Hospital where attendants put him to bed.

• Like 2

70 years ago in hisTORy

October 4, 1947, Bryan, Texas:

The Super Swedish Angel (aka Tor Johnson), billed as the "World's Ugliest Wrestler" (notwithstanding the typo in the ad), takes on the original "Nature Boy," Buddy Rogers. During the match, the Angel's leg is fractured, thus forcing him to bow out of a match with Al Lovelock in Galveston a few days later.

J1yMVNv.png

• Like 1

71 years ago in hisTORy

October 19, 1946, Ogden, Utah:

In a battle of walking condominiums, the 356-pound Super Swedish Angel (aka Tor Johnson) takes on the 640-pound Martin “The Blimp” Levy at Ogden High School.  The Blimp takes the first fall but the Swede takes the second fall with a belly butt and body press (don’t ask what this crap is). However, The Blimp takes the third fall and the match. No word if the school’s gymnasium needed repairs after this.

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959)

Directed by Edward D. Wood, Jr.

This is the greatest film of all time, from the greatest director of all time, starring the greatest Swedish actor of all time, featuring the greatest special effects of all time, along with the greatest script of all time. Now the costumes needed just a bit of work, but why nitpick.

Our story opens with Criswell (the greatest psychic of all time, sporting the greatest coiffure of all time) setting the stage for the spine-tingling story about to be played out before us. From there, we get tender scenes of Bela Lugosi, the greatest bloodsucker of all time, mourning at his dead wife’s funeral. Aliens from space, piloting the greatest flying saucers of all time, resurrect the wife, who is played by Vampira, the greatest television hostess of all time. She also has the greatest 2-inch waist of all time, and wears the greatest low-cut tight black dress of all time, which obviously made her funeral the greatest party of all time.

When the guys who buried her turn up dead, Tor Johnson, as Inspector Daniel Clay, springs into action. Johnson, the greatest wrestler of all time, turns in a force-de-Tor performance, proving that you can indeed make an actor out of Clay. His rendering of lines is impeccable. When a detective warns him that the cemetery is dark, Johnson casually shrugs him off by saying “I vill get one of flashlight from patrol car.” No one alive (or dead) could deliver a line like that.

I don’t want to spoil the fun for anyone who has not yet seen this classic, but there are a few more performances that must be considered noteworthy. John Breckenridge, as the leader of the aliens, gives the greatest performance of a gay man not trying to pretend he’s not gay. Dudley Manlove, as the alien Eros, gives the greatest exhibition of chest-puffing ever seen on the big screen. Joanna Lee, as the alien Tanna, wears the greatest leggings in the history of legging-dom. And to top it all off, Director Wood snagged two of the greatest superstars from the 1930s … that’s right, Lyle Talbot and Tom Keene.

Why wasn’t this film nominated as best picture?

To quote Dudley Manlove, “because all you of Earth are idiots!”

fFoWnVo.png

srhWS1L.png

cWqIvI5.png

tLtRArJ.png

oT4c6B0.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For reasons I cannot explain without unhealthy introspection, the Johnny Depp movie Ed Wood is one of those I always stop and watch to a conclusion whenever I stumble across it while surfing. Among its many attractions is the portrayal of Tor Johnson by George "The Animal" Steele. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

80 years ago in hisTORy

In a match in Buffalo NY on March 25, 1938, Wladislaw Talun, a 279-pound wrestler, tosses  Tor Johnson out of the ring after 13 minutes and 19 seconds. Tor is unable to return for the next fall. However, he does manage to crawl over to the buffet table.

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

80 Years ago in hisTORy

August 9, 1938, Long Branch, New Jersey

Tor Johnson, described as "the largest burper ever turned loose in this neck of the woods," defeats Hungarian Sid Westrich in 9 minutes, 19 seconds, at the Ocean View Arena. Twice Westrich throws himself across the ring as a human battering ram against the big Swede, and both times Westrich lands in a heap. After the second attempt by Westrich, Tor drops his 315 pounds on Westrich, converting the 225-pound Hungarian to ghoulash.

Yeah, I suppose these periodic updates of "hisTORy" are fine and dandy, Rich (yeah yeah, I know...Carlin once said nothing in the world could be both "fine" AND "dandy"...however let's not go there) BUT when are we gonna see your next installment of that long neglected "Juvenile Delinquent Movie" thread of yours, dude???

(...just wonderin')

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I suppose these periodic updates of "hisTORy" are fine and dandy, Rich (yeah yeah, I know...Carlin once said nothing in the world could be both "fine" AND "dandy"...however let's not go there) BUT when are we gonna see your next installment of that long neglected "Juvenile Delinquent Movie" thread of yours, dude???

(...just wonderin')

I have one warming up in the bullpen.

29 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

AH! So you're gonna do a review of that now little remembered American International flick...

"Hot Rodders From Hell Go To Spring Training", are YA?!

(...can't wait to see THAT one, ol' buddy!)

5 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

It couldn't be Roogie, could it? Let's see; 1950s? Yep. A bull pen?, perhaps yes. So far so good. --- Delinquent? Ooh, that could be the deal breaker, unless making Roy Campanella use a glove as big as a jumbo pizza might qualify. And there is a conspicuous lack of trashiness throughout. If Roogie had a girlfriend it would be the milk-shake-at-the-soda-fountain variety (that would be Roogie's way) and this would effectively disqualify it's use for naughtiness that seems de rigeur for this ole thread. Sorry Roogie, you must remain ensconced in obscurity. We tried. By the way, Roogie. do you still have that Bump..

20 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

80 Years ago in hisTORy

August 9, 1938, Long Branch, New Jersey

Tor Johnson, described as "the largest burper ever turned loose in this neck of the woods," defeats Hungarian Sid Westrich in 9 minutes, 19 seconds, at the Ocean View Arena. Twice Westrich throws himself across the ring as a human battering ram against the big Swede, and both times Westrich lands in a heap. After the second attempt by Westrich, Tor drops his 315 pounds on Westrich, converting the 225-pound Hungarian to ghoulash.

25_burpees_mammoth_ironclad_watermelon_1

• Haha 1
  • 3 months later...

Registered Nurse (1934)

(Special thanks to Stephan55 for reviewing this earlier in the thread.)

Tor Johnson stars as a wrestler who tries out some medical moves.

931WgQC.png

ZtOcdfF.png

Cuzj0de.png

r5aEOb5.png

In a subplot, Bebe Daniels plays a registered nurse. Lyle Talbot is a cad. Charlie Chan is a wrestling promoter and a patient at the hospital. He convinces Daniels' messed-up husband to jump out a window. Yeah, huge laughs there. Beulah Bondi is the head nurse. Dennis O'Keefe is onscreen for a few seconds. But Tor is the real star, and the guy with the cauliflower ears is a close second.