• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RICH'S TOR JOHNSON (AND OTHER Z-MOVIE STARS) THREAD

Arturo is a poet,

though she may not know it,

Her feet still show it,

'Cause they're "LongFellows." :)

Somebody said that to me when I was in gradeschool and I always enjoy an opportunity to pass it on. :)

Thanks for the verse, although as it's been pointed out, I am male. I chose as my avatar a picture of my favorite.actress.Linda.Darnell.

Arturo, are you a girl (excuse me. lady, hee)?. If so, there may be more than me who might be mislead. This is something I understand because despite my longevity on the board (though not consistently ubiquitous) there are still people who don't know that I'm a guy due to my avatar. Not sure why really, like a of guys I tend to have a ooh-la-la mentality for women stars who I like that would make it obvious. And yet (Risky Comment Alert) I've often wondered if lesbians have a similar mentality (excuse me, womentality) for other women that they like. I mean do they carry on like men do, you know oooh-la-la stuff, or are they more mature adults (as I expect they are) and not out of control in that immature way that idiots like me are.

EDIT: Uh oh, I've just read the last post by Rich. "HE will be happy to read this." The point is made though, that folks who have avatars that don't match the gender orientation of their screen names tend to cause misunderstandings in others.

/////

Well,.Lafitte, I guess until recently I thought you were a woman, specifically Hedy Lamarr, (or is it Joan Bennett?).I guess. And I should know better, with my avatar a.picture of Linda Darnell. Soon after.the boards.were revamped past.year, I got.the impression I should follow suit with a picture,.and actually unsuccessfully tried to upload.a.picture of myself.. Somehow I was able to get this one up, althought I fretted here that I might be misleading with that pic. I've been meaning to update the pic every so often, with more of Darnell, but.haven't as yet.

And yet, with posters here, I pretty much envision them as their avatars. So I have to consciously tell myself.that you do not look like Hedy (or aJoan),nor speedracer like Errol, and that's not even your sexes; darkblue is Kevin Spacey, misswonderly is Mary Astor (witha martini glass), Dargo is Groucho, poor scsu is now forever Tor, in my mind, etc. although I don't know about the duck.

It's weird that my mind does this, knowing better. Maybe because latrly I'm usually here on my phone, and the thumbnail pics are tiny indeed.

This reminds of an embarrassing moment I had when I was a teen.

One of my favorite passtimes was checking out pretty girls at the beach.

One nice summer day I was walking on the strand and noticed this lovely little blond ahead of me.

She had these hip hugging bell bottoms on that she wore so low that you could just see the untanned top of the crack of her behind.

She was wearing this sheer white blouse, tied high around her upper waist, and I could see from the back that she was not wearing a bra, or bikini top beneath it.

Her hair was blond and long, and flowed in contrast against her tanned back.

She was very petite, had an hour glass figure, and kind-of swayed her hips as she walked in a mezmerizing way.    ;)

I walked behind her for almost a block, smiling and obviously enjoying myself.

I was taking slightly longer steps, gradually catching up until I was right behind her.

I couldn't wait to see if the front view was as delicious as the view from behind. B)

I was trying to think of something clever to say to her, when, at the end of the block, she abruptly made a left turn, heading up the street.

I was so close, I almost bumped into her.

Then I saw her face..... :o

She turned out to be a He, with a matching blond beard and mustache.

Boy was I embarrassed. :blink:    

I said excuse me, and looked around to see if anybody had been watching me, watch "her," as I felt that it was quite obvious what I was doing and what had been upon my mind. :huh:  

A couple of  guys were close by and sitting upon the short concrete block wall that separated the strand walkway from  the beach. They must have been reading my mind when they saw me looking around, as when our eyes met they were both laughing at me... :D:lol:     

It was a valuable lesson that no doubt saved me from future embarrassments, as I was pretty careful after that not to stare to hard until I had a complete look around at the object of my attention. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Well,.Lafitte, I guess until recently I thought you were a woman, specifically Hedy Lamarr, (or is it Joan Bennett?).I guess. And I should know better, with my avatar a.picture of Linda Darnell. Soon after.the boards.were revamped past.year, I got.the impression I should follow suit with a picture,.and actually unsuccessfully tried to upload.a.picture of myself.. Somehow I was able to get this one up, althought I fretted here that I might be misleading with that pic. I've been meaning to update the pic every so often, with more of Darnell, but.haven't as yet.

And yet, with posters here, I pretty much envision them as their avatars. So I have to consciously tell myself.that you do not look like Hedy (or aJoan),nor speedracer like Errol, and that's not even your sexes; darkblue is Kevin Spacey, misswonderly is Mary Astor (witha martini glass), Dargo is Groucho, poor scsu is now forever Tor, in my mind, etc. although I don't know about the duck.

It's weird that my mind does this, knowing better. Maybe because latrly I'm usually here on my phone, and the thumbnail pics are tiny indeed.

... none other that Joan Bennett as painted by Cris Cross (EGR), a fave movie and a fave picture. Who can forget how this picture danced along the sidewalk as a broken Cris is plagued with unconscionable guilt should lift his sorry gaze and set his eyes upon it, the unbearable reminder of the situation of which he suffers. Quite a moment.

Good point. Dispel the notion that an avatar has anything really much to do with the real identity. After all we're just fans. The exceptions are when some members (happily, very few) use selfies. If said selfie reveals a decent image, then perhaps no harm ... but sometimes ... well, you know ...

I have considered changing my avatar but gosh I've has such good comments about it ... would someone else nab it? ... would i care? ... and what would I choose as a replacement? Decisions, decisions ... gee life is tough.

• Like 1

I saw Lou Ferrigno at a Pavilions in Santa Monica.

I watched Lou play for the Toronto Argonauts football team.  They signed him as an offensive guard or tackle.  I don't think he was particularly good and didn't last long.  

But I have to say this for him, he really is an A for effort guy who doesn't give up.

Okay,

I'm struggling with this as I have an upload limit of 756.41KB

And since I can't upload the excerpted scene (way too big) I had a slide-show prepared of the entire scene but it's still 79.1 MB

Well, I've played with this enough and can't get it small enough, so I'll just upload a few quick snaps of Tor from the movie REGISTERED NURSE.

"Tor in 1934."

edit: Though I uploaded the pics in order, they posted out of sequence, but they're numbered and captioned so you can figure out the order.

Wow, quite a change in Tor's appearance in 17 years (1934-1951) THE LEMON DROP KID

I see some Robert Preston in him.

LornaHansonForbes then said: "Or, to be more scientifically accurate, I think you see about 2.5 Robert Preston in him." 

And now I say:

Sorry you two, but take another look at those pics of Tor with a full head of hair that Stephan posted(sorry, you'll have to go back to this thread's previous page, as for some reason those pics didn't transfer to Stephan's above quote of mine), and then tell me if the coiffed Tor there doesn't look much more like a "2.0 version" of Rod Cameron???

Oh, and the guy in profile in the foreground with him in a couple of those shots looks a lot like a "2.0 version" of Keenan Wynn, wouldn't ya say?!

(...yeah yeah, I know...I AM good at this sort'a thing, ain't I) ;)

Edited by Dargo
  • Like 1

Sorry you two, but take another look at those pics of Tor with a full head of hair that Stephan posted(sorry, you'll have to go back to this thread's previous page, as for some reason those pics didn't transfer to Stephan's above quote of mine), and then tell me if the coiffed Tor there doesn't look much more like a "2.0 version" of Rod Cameron???

Oh, and the guy in profile in the foreground with him in a couple of those shots looks a lot like a "2.0 version" of Keenan Wynn, wouldn't ya say?!

Actually, you may be on to something. I do see the resemblances.

Stephan posted some terrific pics of Young Tor with Hair from Registered Nurse. I'll add this one.

1795379_original.jpg

"Yeah, I know I'm a white guy and not Asian, nurse. I'm just practicing for a part I hope to someday be cast in by talking this way and before the time comes when some people will have a problem with this."

(...in other words cinemafan, I'm pretty sure that that's Sidney Toler and not Tor up there, and 'cause according to the IMDb website for this movie, Sidney was in that flick too)

• Like 1

"Yeah, I know I'm a white guy and not Asian, nurse. I'm just practicing for a part I hope to someday be cast in by talking this way and before the time comes when some people will have a problem with this."

(...in other words cinemafan, I'm pretty sure that that's Sidney Toler and not Tor up there, and 'cause according to the IMDb website for this movie, Sidney was in that flick too)

Thanks for explaining that. I had no clue what you were talking about.

Please help me out - I thought Tor was the guy with thick, dark curly hair in Stephan's photos.  I know he was unbilled in Registered Nurse, but the guy shown in the poster named Sonnevich (what a name!) The Terrible Bulgarian, looks very similar to who I thought was Tor.

I'm so confused.

Anyway - Tor as Sonnevich in the poster pictured has as much hair in that movie as the guy in the photo of Stephan's, which I can't reproduce here.

Anyway - Tor as Sonnevich in the poster pictured has as much hair in that movie as the guy in the photo of Stephan's, which I can't reproduce here.

Now I'm confused.

In Stephan's photos, the big guy with the wavy hair is Tor Johnson. The guy laying in bed in the most recent picture here is Sidney Toler.

• Like 1

Now I'm confused.

In Stephan's photos, the big guy with the wavy hair is Tor Johnson. The guy laying in bed in the most recent picture here is Sidney Toler.

Well thanks for clearly up my confusion.   At first glance the guy laying in the bed looked like Ray Milland (just like you noted).   

But since I knew it wasn't him (based on reading your post),  I assumed it must be Tor, but I didn't think that was right either.

Now I can see that it was Charlie! 

Well thanks for clearly up my confusion.   At first glance the guy laying in the bed looked like Ray Milland (just like you noted).   

But since I knew it wasn't him (based on reading your post),  I assumed it must be Tor, but I didn't think that was right either.

Now I can see that it was Charlie! 

Yep, like I said earlier, I'm pretty good at recognizing faces, alright.

(...btw, this is Dargo here)   ;)

Oh and btw, and speakin' of people the guy in bed kind'a SORT'A looks like A LITTLE bit also and besides Tor, Ray Milland and Ben Johnson...am I seein' JUST a touch of Ralph Bellamy there TOO???

(...and so there ya have it...take a little of Tor, add a dash of Ray Milland, Ben Johnson AND Ralph Bellamy and VIOLA...you've got Charlie Chan...of course you'd have to ALSO add a rubber band around the eyes of this concoction in order to get the full effect, but what say we don't split hairs here, okay?!) 

;)

• Like 2

Oh and btw, and speakin' of people the guy in bed kind'a SORT'A looks like A LITTLE bit also and besides Tor, Ray Milland and Ben Johnson...am I seein' JUST a touch of Ralph Bellamy there TOO???

(...and so there ya have it...take a little of Tor, add a dash of Ray Milland, Ben Johnson AND Ralph Bellamy and VIOLA...

So who is Viola?

Yep, like I said earlier, I'm pretty good at recognizing faces, alright.

(...btw, this is Dargo here)   ;)

Sorry for not giving you credit but I didn't see where you were the first one to mention the guy was Toler until after I saw replied to that other post.     But yea, good call.   

Don't have much to contribute outside of the fact that I also see some Ray Milland in young Tor.

Man, can you imagine TOR in THE LOST WEEKEND?! The story of a gigantic, hopeless alcoholic who is always on the search for enough booze to maintain a buzz longer than 2 minutes.

In the last scene of the movie, he enters the factory where they manufacture Wild Turkey and throws himself headfirst into one of the tanks.

• Like 3

Don't have much to contribute outside of the fact that I also see some Ray Milland in young Tor.

Man, can you imagine TOR in THE LOST WEEKEND?! The story of a gigantic, hopeless alcoholic who is always on the search for enough booze to maintain a buzz longer than 2 minutes.

In the last scene of the movie, he enters the factory where they manufacture Wild Turkey and throws himself headfirst into one of the tanks.

Wow, good one, Lorna. They should make a sequel like that. ;-)