Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scsu1975

RICH'S TOR JOHNSON (AND OTHER Z-MOVIE STARS) THREAD

Perhaps if Tor is star of the month, or maybe even as a Sunday night foreign film, TCM will show Volker Schlondorff's 1996 Young Torless?

Tor for SOTM!!! That is such a stunningly good idea I'm thinking I may boycott the boards until it happens. Or maybe just start (launch? Create?) a thread titled, "Will Tor Johnson be SOTM for (excuse me, TOR) December?" I mean we haven't seen George Sanders yet, and that thread is kind of stale anyway. (no surprise).

• Like 1

Tor for SOTM!!! That is such a stunningly good idea I'm thinking I may boycott the boards until it happens. Or maybe just start (launch? Create?) a thread titled, "Will Tor Johnson be SOTM for (excuse me, TOR) December?" I mean we haven't seen George Sanders yet, and that thread is kind of stale anyway. (no surprise).

I wish I could take credit for it but I am just following someone else's lead.

I mean we haven't seen George Sanders yet, and that thread is kind of stale anyway.

Tor was a much bigger star than George ... and everyone else, for that matter.

• Like 3

Don't have much to contribute outside of the fact that I also see some Ray Milland in young Tor.

Man, can you imagine TOR in THE LOST WEEKEND?! The story of a gigantic, hopeless alcoholic who is always on the search for enough booze to maintain a buzz longer than 2 minutes.

In the last scene of the movie, he enters the factory where they manufacture Wild Turkey and throws himself headfirst into one of the tanks.

LornaHansonForbes--Maybe TCM will show High Tor (1956) (& yes there IS such a film),a musical where the ghost of a 16th century Dutch girl tries to save TOR's mountain--there might be a lost sequel about keeping TOR in the title condition.

LornaHansonForbes--Maybe TCM will show High Tor (1956) (& yes there IS such a film),a musical where the ghost of a 16th century Dutch girl tries to save TOR's mountain--there might be a lost sequel about keeping TOR in the title condition.

Are you referring to the one with Bing Crosby?  The imdb lists Julie Andrews as being in it.  1956.  My word.

Bogie56--yes, I am.  Quite the cast, TOR on a TOR. with Andrews & Crosby--should be quite the watching experience.  BTW, imdb & TCM agree.  Must see if a sequel is out there somewhere :)  :)

I just got notified that Bride of the Monster is on its way to me from Classicflix.  (For those not in the know, Classicflix is the classic movie equivalent of Netflix.)  Can't wait to broaden my cinematic horizons here - my first Tor movie!  Oh, the excitement.  The momentum.  ;)

I just got notified that Bride of the Monster is on its way to me from Classicflix.  (For those not in the know, Classicflix is the classic movie equivalent of Netflix.)  Can't wait to broaden my cinematic horizons here - my first Tor movie!  Oh, the excitement.  The momentum.  ;)

I hope you enjoy the octopus with some of its tentacles missing.

I hope you enjoy the octopus with some of its tentacles missing.

I'll make a full report here in due time.  I'll find out if Tor is the "Monster" in the title of the film, or the "Bride"...

Great idea! Tor Johnson was one awesomely huge star!

IshTOR.

220px-Ishtar_poster.jpg

IshTOR.

220px-Ishtar_poster.jpg

Didn't Tor decide.to.retire after.the debacle sorrounding the filming of this botched epic.

IshTOR.

220px-Ishtar_poster.jpg

"I want more sand in the desert!"

- Vittorio De Sica directing in After the Fox

"I want more sand in the desert!"

- Vittorio De Sica directing in After the Fox

I've said it before and I'll say it here.  That is just a great bad movie about a bad movie.

Isn't IshTOR the one where the director demanded that TOR TORque the pyramids??

You'll have to forgive me, I'm still trying to TORque my head around that one.

Didn't Tor decide.to.retire after.the debacle sorrounding the filming of this botched epic.

I'm sure there were other desert movies (or Bronson Canyon) where he was an uncredited acTOR.

Sorry, I used that word for the pun--move the pyramids--it was Elaine May or Howard Hawks who said it (I Think).

You mean David Copperfield style?  That would be Torweak.

• Like 1

I'm sure there were other desert movies (or Bronson Canyon) where he was an uncredited acTOR.

Well, he actually started filming PATTOR in the mid 60s, but between his diva temperament, and the heat sand and scorpions of the desert, production shut down. It was later.started.with another.actor.

Well, he actually started filming PATTOR in the mid 60s, but between his diva temperament, and the heat sand and scorpions of the desert, production shut down. It was later.started.with another.actor.

Yes, a distant relative, from what I understand ... Tor C. Scott

Speaking of Africa, wasn't he in that sequel to King Solomon's Mines: Watorsi?

• Like 1

Speaking of Africa, wasn't he in that sequel to King Solomon's Mines: Watorsi?

There was another one, but I don't remember the full name, it starts.with the character's name......ALLAN QUARTORMAIN AND THE........