Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scsu1975

RICH'S TOR JOHNSON (AND OTHER Z-MOVIE STARS) THREAD

Variety has reported that the case of Johnson v Levin has been thrown out of court in Los Angeles.

The heirs of the Tor Johnson estate had been seeking 100 million dollars in damages and an injunction against the makers of the popular Sharknado franchise.

Prosecution lawyers, Dewy, Screwem and Howe were unable to convince Judge Squalo that Sharknado was an infringement on Johnson's intellectual property rights,

"Yes, we intend to appeal" said Gordon Howe, "the Judge failed to take into account the huge amount of work that Tor had put into the screenplay before he passed away.  He really sweated over it."

And indeed much of the prosecution's case came down to DNA evidence of Tor Johnson's sweat on the one paragraph film outline that he had penned several months before his death in 1971.

Though the defence conceded that Levin had changed the film's title from Tornado to Sharknado it was deemed parody and therefor exempt from copyright law.

"This isn't funny" said Howe.

• Like 1

Tor Johnson's family has released some pictures from Tor's family photo album.  I was fortunate enough to discover some of them.  

Here are his parents, Sigrid and Olaf, on their wedding day.

246C5E3B00000578-0-The_family_of_Stephen  

You can certainly see where Tor got his good looks from.

Tor started wrestling at an early age.  

fat-kid1.jpg  

He was the heavyweight champion of his nursery school.

Growing up, Tor was quite the party animal.  For this Halloween party, he went dressed (or undressed as it were) as a pitcher of Kool-Aid.

Funny-Fat-People-Funny-Fat-People-031-Fu  

He met his future wife, Greta, at a masquerade party.  She was dressed as "Super Fem".

fat-woman-superhero.jpg?w=258&h=300

They had a big (and I do mean BIG) wedding.

Screen-Shot-2014-01-17-at-1.24.28-PM.png  

Later they had a lovely daughter, Bibi.  Here she is with some of her friends.  Can you tell which one she is?

DUFF-meme-300x247.jpg  

Tor was always a very flexible athlete.

fark_B27GDFSxqXXemEViJ_4VC3bVa8A.jpg?t=T  

One of his signature wrestling ploys was to make a face so ugly that his opponents would give up just so they could get out of there.

212.jpg  

And of course, Tor was most proud of his work as an actor.  He had such piercing eyes.  He truly was one of a kind.

1006372.jpg

• Like 1

Variety has reported that the case of Johnson v Levin has been thrown out of court in Los Angeles.

The heirs of the Tor Johnson estate had been seeking 100 million dollars in damages and an injunction against the makers of the popular Sharknado franchise.

Prosecution lawyers, Dewy, Screwem and Howe were unable to convince Judge Squalo that Sharknado was an infringement on Johnson's intellectual property rights,

"Yes, we intend to appeal" said Gordon Howe, "the Judge failed to take into account the huge amount of work that Tor had put into the screenplay before he passed away.  He really sweated over it."

And indeed much of the prosecution's case came down to DNA evidence of Tor Johnson's sweat on the one paragraph film outline that he had penned several months before his death in 1971.

Though the defence conceded that Levin had changed the film's title from Tornado to Sharknado it was deemed parody and therefor exempt from copyright law.

"This isn't funny" said Howe.

Further to the Variety story above, Judge Squalo has awarded the defendants damages in the amount of ten million dollars.

"This will leave the Tor Johsnon estate in tatters" said Gordon Howe, lawyer for the plaintiffs.  "T-shirt sales will not cover the costs I'm afraid."

Further to the Variety story above, Judge Squalo has awarded the defendants damages in the amount of ten million dollars.

"This will leave the Tor Johsnon estate in tatters" said Gordon Howe, lawyer for the plaintiffs. "T-shirt sales will not cover the costs I'm afraid."

Well the estate does have that seasonal income from Tor Johnson masks, and body padding, etc. His enduring iconic popularity makes that quite a tidy sum come October, from what I've read.

And those amazing photos just posted,.some enterprising descendant should gather them and have it published. They could make a killing with that one. That would make one big coffee table book.

• Like 1

Tor Johnson's family has released some pictures from Tor's family photo album.  I was fortunate enough to discover some of them.  

Here are his parents, Sigrid and Olaf, on their wedding day.

246C5E3B00000578-0-The_family_of_Stephen  

You can certainly see where Tor got his good looks from.

Tor started wrestling at an early age.  

fat-kid1.jpg  

He was the heavyweight champion of his nursery school.

Growing up, Tor was quite the party animal.  For this Halloween party, he went dressed (or undressed as it were) as a pitcher of Kool-Aid.

Funny-Fat-People-Funny-Fat-People-031-Fu  

He met his future wife, Greta, at a masquerade party.  She was dressed as "Super Fem".

fat-woman-superhero.jpg?w=258&h=300

They had a big (and I do mean BIG) wedding.

Screen-Shot-2014-01-17-at-1.24.28-PM.png  

Later they had a lovely daughter, Bibi.  Here she is with some of her friends.  Can you tell which one she is?

DUFF-meme-300x247.jpg  

Tor was always a very flexible athlete.

fark_B27GDFSxqXXemEViJ_4VC3bVa8A.jpg?t=T  

One of his signature wrestling ploys was to make a face so ugly that his opponents would give up just so they could get out of there.

212.jpg  

And of course, Tor was most proud of his work as an actor.  He had such piercing eyes.  He truly was one of a kind.

1006372.jpg

Miles, thank you for sharing. Tor was obviously part of a distinguished, and distinguished looking, family.

His mother kinda looks like Edith Massey, of John Waters fame, and a cougar to boot.

Well the estate does have that seasonal income from Tor Johnson masks, and body padding, etc. His enduring iconic popularity makes that quite a tidy sum come October, from what I've read.

And those amazing photos just posted,.some enterprising descendant should gather them and have it published. They could make a killing with that one. That would make one big coffee table book.

...along as you don't drink any coffee or any eat any food ... unless you have a strong stomach. If I had that on my coffee table I would offer a 'viewer discretion advised' notice for the faint of heart.

Oh come on Tor, I was just kidding ...

:P

Aauuuuuuuuuggggghhhhh !!!!

So much for laffite!!

Funeral services have yet to be announced. (they have to find the body first)

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Coming soon:  Tor pretty much plays himself, in Alias The Champ8JQ5xUY.jpg

Coming soon:  Tor pretty much plays himself, in Alias The Champ

alias-the-champ-movie-poster-1949-102043

Uncredited ... again ... I suppose.

Simply aTORcious that he had to suffer these dignities.

--

Uncredited ... again ... I suppose.

--

Well, he is not top-billed, but neither is Gorgeous George for that matter.

• Like 1

Well, he is not top-billed, but neither is Gorgeous George for that matter.

Nor would he want to be top-billed.

• Like 1

Nor would he want to be top-billed.

Oh, I dunno, laffite. I personally wouldn't have any qualms at all if suddenly there happened to be some ongoing thread around here with the title of:

"What is Tor up to now...?"

(...nope...now somethin' like THAT might actually be a fun read!!!)

QUESTION:  What is Tor up to now?

ANSWER:  Clawing on the inside of his coffin.  (Unless he was cremated, of course).

Z-movie star:  MOLLY BEE (1939-2009).  She only featured in 5 movies and was a country singer, but all 5 films were "z-movies".  Now who wants to watch "Chartroose Caboose" (1960)? 

QUESTION:  What is Tor up to now?

ANSWER:  Clawing on the inside of his coffin.  (Unless he was cremated, of course).

LOL

Well of course Mr.G., for something MORE than just that, somethin' along these lines WOULD have to be "ghost-written" by another.

(...if you'll pardon the expression) ;)

Alias the Champ (1949)

Directed by George Blair

Before Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Hulk Hogan, “Nature Boy” Ric Flair, Randy “Macho Man” Savage, etc., there was Gorgeous George.  This is his one and (thankfully) only film credit, so it is to be treasured, much like his sweaty wrestling trunks.

George, playing himself, rebukes some goons, led by James Nolan, who are trying to muscle in on the rasslin’ business. God help us if this sport ever became fixed. George’s manager, played by Audrey Long, goes to the local homicide detective for help, even though no homicide has been committed – yet. Enter Robert Rockwell (yes, Mr. Boynton of “Our Miss Brooks”) as the cop, who tries to convince George to take this threat seriously. Rockwell should have told George to take acting seriously. As an actor, George is a good wrestler.

After Rockwell beats up Nolan (and also neglects to read him his rights), Nolan enlists the aid of a lounge singer, played by Barbra Fuller. As a singer, Fuller is a good wrestler.  Fuller uses a faux French accent to try to snare Rockwell, who must be the horniest cop I’ve ever seen on film. Meanwhile Fuller’s wrestler-boyfriend (Sammy Menacker) watches this unfold and fumes. As an actor, Menacker … you get the picture. Menacker and Rockwell mix it up a bit and engage in a Two Stooges routine.

Menacker and Nolan decide to pay George a visit at the gym. Menacker is accompanied by a bunch of wrestlers, including our favorite big boy toy Tor Johnson. Tor is billed as the “Swedish Super Angel,” so I don’t know why he wears a beret.  After Menacker insults George’s hair, a battle royale breaks out, to the strains of “The William Tell Overture.” Unfortunately, the Lone Ranger is nowhere in sight.  Tor tosses a few bums around, then Rockwell arrives and breaks things up. Rockwell arranges a match between George and Menacker, which ends in disaster as Menacker goes belly up (literally and figuratively) in the ring. George is charged with murder.  Will he be saved from the gas chamber?

George performs his shtick throughout, flamboyantly entering the ring after his valet sprays it with perfume.  He tells the ref to take his “filthy hands” off him, and gets his hair combed after each pinfall.  In his first match with Bomber Kulkovich (aka Bomber Kulky, aka Henry Kulky), he uses a variety of leg locks to subdue his opponent in a best two-out-of-three falls.  In the climactic match with Menacker, he uses several snap mares, a few headlocks, and a Boston crab.  The ref constantly warns him about using a closed fist, but what the hell … this is wrestling.

There are several familiar faces (John Hamilton as the Police Commish, John Harmon as a stuttering goon) and Long is cute and spunky.  All in all, an hour’s worth of very strange entertainment.

“Gonna call me a squirt, girl?”

9h8M5MB.png

“Gonna squirt me a call - girl.”

3QqzwGQ.png

Five on one hardly seems fair … until you realize that Tor = 5.

nrab727.png

Fortunately, prostate exams for wrestlers have improved since 1949.

7LvPEQ6.png

• Like 3

This one's a real crapshoot.  Perfect for this thread.  I don't even know if this one was shown in the drive-ins.  AcTOR Pat Ryan is a close enough facsimile of Tor and then some.  I remember seeing this back in the 80s, on UHF TV, quite possibly the same year it was released.  Just the kind of thing that says "ouch" for that time period.

Eat and Run (1987)

Shortly after the opening credits he is seen along the road near a corn field.  A farmer picks him up thinking he is a hitchhiker, and it is strongly implied that he eats the farmer.  Then he spits out the buttons from the victim's clothes.

eat%20and%20run%203.jpg

If you have ever seen a movie where a heavy guy, supposed to be a space alien, eats Italian people and spits out the buttons, this is most likely it.

eat%20and%20run4.jpg

Eat%20and%20run%202.jpg

My thoughts.  Yes this is definitely a "z" movie.  Maybe even a double-z.  Like drive-in movies?  Then go watch something else.

• Like 1

Well, I can now finally say I saw a Tor Johnson movie - last night I checked out Bride of the Monster.

I think it truly earns the title of 'Z Movie'.  Poor Bela Lugosi, I guess by 1956 he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel for any kind of role.  But getting to Tor - every time I saw him, I started laughing.  I'm sure he wouldn't have appreciated hearing that; still, thanks to scsu he now seems to be hot stuff around here, resurrected from cinema oblivion, all 400 pounds of him.  

As horror movies go, Bride of the Monster didn't really scare me, but oh well...

• Like 1

Well, I can now finally say I saw a Tor Johnson movie - last night I checked out Bride of the Monster.

I think it truly earns the title of 'Z Movie'.  Poor Bela Lugosi, I guess by 1956 he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel for any kind of role.  But getting to Tor - every time I saw him, I started laughing.  I'm sure he wouldn't have appreciated hearing that; still, thanks to scsu he now seems to be hot stuff around here, resurrected from cinema oblivion, all 400 pounds of him.  

As horror movies go, Bride of the Monster didn't really scare me, but oh well...

Hot stuff?! ... TOR has been TORridly TORending at TORp speed TORever around here.

Hot stuff?! ... TOR has been TORridly TORending at TORp speed TORever around here.

Yeah, just like a TORpedo! 

Yeah, just like a TORpedo! 

Yep, nothing TORpid about Tor.

Has anyone seen Tor Johnson's first movie? It's called Registered Nurse. Tor plays "Sonnevich the Terrible Bulgarian" in the 1934 film which also features Minna Gombell, Beulah Bondi, and many others. 

When I first read your post I thought it said "Sonovabich the Terrible Bulgarian."

• Like 2

I think the country singer/actress MOLLY BEE (1939-2009) would qualify as a "Z-movie star".  She appeared in 5 movies -- all of them low-grade.  CHARTROOSE CABOOSE (1960), anyone?  Does that not sound like a high-falutin' sophisticated type of film?  ;)

I believe her last film was the 1967 opus HILLBILLYS IN A HAUNTED HOUSE.  This movie, I think, was Basil Rathbone's last film.   

I think the country singer/actress MOLLY BEE (1939-2009) would qualify as a "Z-movie star".  She appeared in 5 movies -- all of them low-grade.  CHARTROOSE CABOOSE (1960), anyone?  Does that not sound like a high-falutin' sophisticated type of film?  ;)

I believe her last film was the 1967 opus HILLBILLYS IN A HAUNTED HOUSE.  This movie, I think, was Basil Rathbone's last film.   

Feel free to post a review and/or pics from the films if you like.

When I first read your post I thought it said "Sonovabich the Terrible Bulgarian."

Same thing, probably.