Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RICH'S TOR JOHNSON (AND OTHER Z-MOVIE STARS) THREAD

In my mind, I always picture Tor Johnson in NIGHT AND THE CITY, even though I know its not him.

Ady Berber gets the final nod in Carnival Story when Anne Baxter says "Poor, poor Groppo" as the cops lead him away in handcuffs.

Sort of reminded me of Baxter's line in The Ten Commandments ..."Moses, Moses, Moses."

Did you guys know that Tor was a real car nut?

In fact, here's a picture of one of the last cars he ever bought...

Oldsmobile-Toronado-limo-1967-Hugo90.jpg

...a custom built and stretched 1966 Oldsmobile...

(...now, do I really need to finish this lame joke of mine and tell ya the model of Olds here?)

• Like 2

(...now, do I really need to finish this lame joke of mine and tell ya the model of Olds here?)

I trust that it has good suspension?

I trust that it has good suspension?

Yep Bogie. Word is Tor ALWAYS went with Monroe heavy-duty shocks on his Toronado there.

(...and yep, word also is he had to replace those suckers every 10,000 miles on that baby even then]

• Like 1

LOL  That must have come before the TOR Gear stretch Fiat Panda.

Top%20Gear%20stretch%20Fiat%20Panda%202.

• Like 2

Yep Bogie. Word is Tor ALWAYS went with Monroe heavy-duty shocks on his Toronado there.

(...and yep, word also is he had to replace those suckers every 10,000 miles on that baby even then]

They probably just went with leaf springs (like you see on dump trucks) or double-wishbone suspension.

Set your alarm clocks ...

tonight Sunday, July 19/20

3:15 a.m.  Young Torless (1966).  The 63 year-old Tor Johnson received some of his worst reviews when he played the teenage, Torless in this Volker Schlondorff film.  Maybe TCM has been listening to the Tor Johnson campaign.

• Like 1

Here is Tor (large guy on the right, for those who aren't sure) playing an ethnic role in the Jon Hall - Maria Montez color spectacle Sudan. He has one line:  "It's agreed." The guy with the bowling pin on his head and s p e r m cell crawling down his leg is George Zucco.

J7DaBsM.png

• Like 3

Here's Tor (with hair) wrestling in Shadow of the Thin Man:

Well what do you know.  I have seen this scene and the movie many times but I never made the connection.   Now if he was bald, I would have,  but with the hair I didn't put two and two together.     Now if he had worn a hat like Loy,,,,,  

• Like 1

Gotta love him, even if just for the name, Tor.

Who can not think of him stumbling around in PNFOS, in the cemetery as the scenes change back and forth from night to daytime and back to night. Stunning performance for sure!

He's always fun to watch, and in the wrestler build mode, who can forget Man Mountain Dean in "Mighty Joe Young". I think at one time due to his girth he even doubled for Charles Laughton. Alas, not much acting career after that for the poor boy.

Now if Gorgeous George had just had a few more chances, besides "Alias the Champ" he could have risen to the fame of Tor perhaps. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

In 1956, Tor, at the height (and weight) of his career, guest-starred on an episode of The Adventures of Hiram Holliday, entitled “The Dancing Mouse.” This television series, about a mild-mannered dweeb who travels the world in search of stories, was so successful it lasted a remarkable five months. Hiram was played by Wally Cox. Has anyone ever noticed that Wally sounds like Robert Vaughn on helium?

While in Italy, Hiram snaps a picture of some rare mouse at a carnival. Unfortunately for him, there are two goons in the picture as well. One of them is the dictator of Bulgravia, who is supposed to be in France, but is in Italy plotting a coup, or maybe just ordering a pizza. The other goon (Leon Askin) tries to get the picture from Hiram, and calls for Bandini the Strong Man for assistance. Guess who that is. Yes, Tor is Italian, as I always suspected (his real name was Torrone). Tor rumbles onto the set and Hiram immediately gives him the slip.  The rest of the episode involves Hiram trying to elude Tor and Askin. Ziva Rodann shows up dressed as a harem girl at the carnival, and Thurston Hall plays a crotchety publisher. Tor and Askin get to ride in the tunnel of love (don’t ask and I won’t tell). Everyone in Italy speaks English, except Tor, who is billed as Thor. He actually has a few lines of dialogue, but I could not understand his Swedish-Calabrese accent.

A rare photo of Tor at one year old.

XnSe0NR.png

Tor loses his cool when his selfie does not come out.

wLmCDQT.png

Tor tries out a ventriloquist act, unaware that the audience thinks he’s the dummy.

AYLYvO5.png

“OK Kojak, try suckin’ on this lollipop!”

Nysjdaa.png

A rare still from the low-budget S & M flick Singin’ in the Pain.

0Mjlj3e.png

• Like 2

That post by 'CaveGirl' dropping the name of Gorgeous George reminds me of that old Bugs Bunny wrestling cartoon with Crusher vs. Ravishing Ronald (The De-Natured Boy).  Think it's called BUNNY HUGGED.  I'd recommend this cartoon; makes me laugh every time I see it. 

• Like 2

That post by 'CaveGirl' dropping the name of Gorgeous George reminds me of that old Bugs Bunny wrestling cartoon with Crusher vs. Ravishing Ronald (The De-Natured Boy).  Think it's called BUNNY HUGGED.  I'd recommend this cartoon; makes me laugh every time I see it. 

Edited by TCMModerator1
Video removed due to copyright concerns
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 1st reaction is: poor Lucille Bremer--from dancing with Fred Astaire to This?  Then I see costar Richard Carlson  & director Oscar 'Budd' Boetticher--the same one who directed all those good Randolph Scott westerns in the 50's (Seven Men From Now--1956, The Tall T--1957, etc.).  Film is a programmer, yes, but it moves quickly & is better than expected.

Behind Locked Doors (1948)

Directed by Oscar (Budd) Boetticher

Very good little B-picture, with Lucille Bremer as a reporter who hires private eye Richard Carlson to find a corrupt judge whom she suspects is hiding out at a local sanitarium.  Bremer convinces Carlson to get himself committed so he can find the judge. Things do not go smoothly, of course.

Moving briskly along at just over 60 minutes, the film features excellent support from veteran bad guys Tom Browne Henry, as the head doctor at the sanitarium, and Douglas Fowley as his sadistic assistant. Tor Johnson plays a nutjob called “The Champ,” who is kept in isolation.  When Carlson is exposed, Fowley tosses him into the Champ’s cell for a sparring lesson. Fowley takes fiendish delight in tor-menting Tor, yanking his chain by clanging metal to simulate a boxing ring bell.  You know how this will end up for Fowley. Eventually, spunky Bremer helps save the day, by impersonating the judge’s “ho” and brandishing a gun which she just happens to keep in the glove compartment of her car.

Kudos to Ralf Harolde, a veteran of several gangster films, for his sensitive portrayal of an assistant at the sanitarium who tries his best to help the inmates. In a subplot, we learn that his son, played by Dickie Moore, is one of the inmates.

Oh, and Tor is pretty good too, and scary as hell.  The only thing scarier than Tor here is Tom Browne Henry’s nose. 

Here is a clip of Carlson getting the snot kicked out of him by Tor:

This is one of Rodin’s lesser-known works.

HVbUmzy.png

Tor realizes he’s just given himself a hernia.

Tm4uXtI.png

When you start thinking a chair is a harp, you’re probably in the correct cell.

PAaBjdb.png

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...