Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RICH'S TOR JOHNSON (AND OTHER Z-MOVIE STARS) THREAD

Here is some British newsreel footage of Tor, which begins around the 50-second mark. The announcer is hysterical. He describes Tor as being 7 feet high and weighing 30 stone (which would be over 400 pounds):

You mean Tor wasn't 7 feet high and 400 pounds?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Lost in a Harem (1944)

Starring Tor Johnson, Duke Johnson, Fred Johnson, Johnnie Johnson, and two comedians.

Tor Johnson has one line, but I had to replay the scene several times, and I’m still not sure what he said … “Yes, your always magnificence” is my best guess. He is listed in the credits as “Majordomo,” but I wasn’t aware he was in the service. Douglass Dumbrille, as the villain, has his own swing band, led by Jimmy Dorsey. Murray Leonard, an old vaudeville buddy of A & C, does the “Slowly I Turn” routine. Marilyn Maxwell, as the female lead, looks gorgeous. John Conte, as the male lead, looks too much like Cantinflas to be taken seriously. Lock “Gort” Martin is one tall sucker.

If Frank Morgan were on steroids, he would have looked like this in The Wizard of Oz.

iqpjpix.png

• Like 4

Lost in a Harem (1944)

Starring Tor Johnson, Duke Johnson, Fred Johnson, Johnnie Johnson, and two comedians.

I see the great Adia Kuznetzoff plays Chief Ghamu in the film. Adia is the singer in the "Festival of the New Wine" operetta scene in Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man.

Tor Johnson's as good as it got

As Star of the Month he'd be hot

He's a good solid choice

We need your affirmative voice

If you don't like Joan, Bette or Judy a lot

• Like 3

Merry Christmas from Tor!

Here he is, tossing around manhole covers like nickels, in The Lemon Drop Kid.

tor_zpskbsp9daq.png

I'm currently reading a book on the murder of the heir to the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami, Ben Novack and they mention Swifty Morgan a lot, who was Damon Runyon's inspiration for the Lemon Drop Kid. Apparently he used to hang out at the Fontainebleau with the likes of Meyer Lansky and the rest of the mob. I don't think Bob Hope did him justice!

• 1 year later...

I have res-TOR-ed all my photos to this thread. Stay tuned for more Tor and other great Z-stars.

Good Rich! (saaaay, that reminds me...you wouldn't by chance know where I could get a good deal on a set of 4-ply radials, would ya?!)

Yeah, glad to see those pics back. Stuff like that "This is one of Rodin’s lesser-known works" always works a bit better with a little visual aid, huh.

(...freakin' Photobucket!)

• Like 1

TORrington, CT, is one of the state's lovely small cities, tucked away in the NW corner of the state. The Christmas House and Christmas Village are famous:

458988_4316226218957_1607229841_o-1024x7

https://www.tripsavvy.com/christmas-village-tradition-torrington-ct-4064252

Haven't been to their Christmas village yet, but I've been to their Warner Thea-TOR several times:

69tJm9Z.jpg

Linus TORvalds - the founder of the Linux kernel/operating system which is used on a significant amount of computing devices today:  Android cell phones and tablets (Android just piggy-backs on an unseen Linux OS), vehicle navigation systems, DVRs, wireless routers, Internet web servers, supercomputers and many other devices that need to "boot up" or "initialize" when powered on, including some desktops/laptops like mine (Linux Mint), formerly a Windows machine, which I do all my online things with.  Big guy...  I don't know if he's as big as Tor Johnson though.

220px-LinuxCon_Europe_Linus_Torvalds_03_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

82 years ago in hisTORy

Wrestlers Tor Johnson and Harry Ezekian are signed to appear in the W. C. Fields flick Man on the Flying Trapeze. They immediately issue threats to other actors.

From the Pittsburgh Press, May 14, 1935:

luYkbMa.png

• Like 2

82 years ago in hisTORy

Wrestlers Tor Johnson and Harry Ezekian are signed to appear in the W. C. Fields flick Man on the Flying Trapeze. They immediately issue threats to other actors.

From the Pittsburgh Press, May 14, 1935:

luYkbMa.png

Hmmmm...sounds as if either of 'em had had the chance back then, they also would've placed Jeanette MacDonald's oft co-star in a Half Nelson........Eddy.

(...sorry...couldn't resist)

Hmmmm...sounds as if either of 'em had had the chance back then, they also would've placed Jeanette MacDonald's oft co-star in a Half Nelson........Eddy.

(...sorry...couldn't resist)

It could have been worse if they had done a Full Monty on a game show host.

Gosh, but I don't remember that scene in that Capra movie, Rich?

Did it make its way into the final cut?

(...and speaking of the smaller of the two Johnsons here...the sardonic wisecracking character Van plays in this movie and the one he plays in another 1948 film, the WWII-themed COMMAND DECISION, always reminded me of each other, and as if his SOTU character was the very same CD character but only postwar...and these are probably my two favorite performances of his...and even though of course that whole "sardonic wisecracking" thing usually isn't my cup of tea....riiiiiight) ;)

Gosh, but I don't remember that scene in that Capra movie, Rich?

Did it make its way into the final cut?

I haven't seen the movie in some time, so I don't know. I'll have to check it out when TCM honors Tor with SOTM.

83 years ago in hisTORy

In the opening match at Philadelphia, October 5, 1934, Tor Johnson (at a svelte 300 pounds) defeats Wee Willie Davis (252 pounds) in eight minutes, 21 seconds. Tor performs a series of body slams on Davis before pinning him.

16 years later, the two would square off again in Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion.