Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My TCM Recordings For June

Tikisoo

I just mentioned O LUCKY MAN (73) in another thread, which I haven't seen it since it played at the theater. Lo & behold-it's on June's schedule! So happy to add this to my "must watch this month" list.

Aside from what you may casually watch, do any of you make a "do not miss" list? 

Here's my list for June. What do you think? 

6/2  10:15A RAIN OR SHINE  
(a Capra movie I haven't seen...circus themes always a plus with me)

6/7  7:15A FOR THE DEFENSE  
(Could be clever with Wm Powell & K Francis who are always great to watch)

6/10 5:00P ZENOBIA 73min
(Wow- Hardy & Langdon! No Laurel- sounds fun!)

6/11 11:00A LOVE & PAIN & THE WHOLE DAMN THING
(Always wanted to see this-I generally enjoy May/Dec romance stories)

6/16 5:00A SLIGHTLY FRENCH 81 min
(Can't miss this starring fave Dottie, has cute theme & hopefully good musical numbers)

6/16 6:30P IT'S A DOG'S LIFE 
(An enjoyable creative romp-want to see again...copy & pass to friend with Bull Terrier)

6/24 1:45A O LUCKY MAN! (yay!)

Yes, TikiSoo, I'm excited about this one as well especially because it features a young Helen Mirren.

And with Arthur Lowe in a black face part, no less.

As an aside, England had this Lawrence Welk-like show called The Minstrels which played well into the 70's if not the 80's where everyone appeared in black face.  I could never fathom how they were unable to be PC aware.

And with Arthur Lowe in a black face part, no less.

As an aside, England had this Lawrence Welk-like show called The Minstrels which played well into the 70's if not the 80's where everyone appeared in black face.  I could never fathom how they were unable to be PC aware.

Billy Crystal was doing blackface well into the 80's especially on Saturday Night Live. He used to do old baseball players and Sammy Davis Jr. quite often. I'm pretty sure he no longer includes that in his act.

I just mentioned O LUCKY MAN (73) in another thread, which I haven't seen it since it played at the theater. Lo & behold-it's on June's schedule! So happy to add this to my "must watch this month" list.

Aside from what you may casually watch, do any of you make a "do not miss" list? 

(Can't miss this starring fave Dottie, has cute theme & hopefully good musical numbers)

(An enjoyable creative romp-want to see again...copy & pass to friend with Bull Terrier)

I was afflicted win Zenobia once but the meds helped. Hardy without Laurel, really? That might be interesting.

June 02, The Enemy Below (1957)

June 03, The Divorce of Lady X (1938), The Glass Key (1942)

June 04, Bulldog Drummond Escapes (1937) to Bulldog Drummond's Bride (1939)

June 07, Sanjuro (1962)

June 08, Conflict (1945)

June 11, The Night Heaven Fell (1958)

June 12, The Glass Key (1942) to Danger Signal (1945)

June 14, Zero Focus (1961), The Castle of Sand (1974)

June 15, Heaven Can Wait (1943), The Feminine Touch (1941)

June 17, Trouble in Paradise (1932), And God Created Woman (1956)

June 18, The Fly (1958)

June 19, Crack-up (1946)

June 20, The Face Behind the Mask (1941)

June 21, Sherlock Holmes (1922)

June 25, Sweet November (1968)

June 26, The Mask of Dimitrios (1944)

June 28, The Gazebo (1960), Band of Outsiders (1964)

I'm recording (per usual) a lot of films:

June 1

A Lost Lady

Saratoga

The Long, Hot Summer

From the Terrace

Rachel, Rachel

June 2

The Belle of New York

June 4

The Affairs of Annabel*

A Face in the Crowd*

*I've seen both of these films, but don't have copies of them.  I love both so much I usually record almost each time they're on.

June 5

I'm the film noir class, so there's a lot to watch there.  Luckily, I own and have seen many of the films, so that'll save me some time and space on the DVR.

M

La Bete Humaine (I don't watch many foreign films, so this will be interesting)

The Letter

Stranger on the Third Floor

Johnny Eager

Woman on the Run

Born to Kill

LA Confidential (I've seen this movie a couple times, but want to re-watch)

June 6

The Big Heat

June 7

For the Defense

The Bitter Tea of General Yen

June 10

The Bride Walks Out

Don't Tell the Wife, if only because it has Lucille Ball

June 12 (Another noir day, fortunately, this one also features a lot of films I have/seen for my class)

Ministry of Fear

The Glass Key

Danger Signal

Detour

Deadline at Dawn

Johnny Angel

The Gangster

Gun Crazy

Tomorrow is Another Day

Nightmare Alley

Night Moves

June 13

Trog, this sounds amazing

June 15

Easy Living, another Lucille Ball movie

Heaven Can Wait

June 16

The Night of the Iguana

That's just for the first couple of weeks.  These + the rest of June + what's still on my DVR... I have no idea how I'm going to watch all these.  I wish I could take an entire summer off from work to watch these.  I'll post more of my picks for the rest of the month later.  I may need to be more selective in what I record--so many movies sound so good!

• Like 1

TikiSoo, I know at one time you mentioned that you  could no longer receive TCM on cable. Are you getting it again now? Looks like it. I'm glad.

O Lucky Man is one of my favourite movies. Good soundtrack too.

I've always wanted to see Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing, mainly because of its intriguing, dramatic title.

These + the rest of June + what's still on my DVR... I have no idea how I'm going to watch all these.  I wish I could take an entire summer off from work to watch these. I may need to be more selective in what I record--so many movies sound so good!

Well, my tact is: if it's available at the library, I borrow it instead. So is the case with GOING IN STYLE. I've never seen it, WANT to see it, but will borrow it instead. I'll watch it this month so I can at least discuss it on the board with those who saw the broadcast.

I generally limit it to 6-10 movies a month, just to not get bogged down in stacks of disks to watch! That's not including movies I "catch" during broadcast.

I go day by day maybe 2 days in advance--my picks for today are;

Rain (1932)--Pre-Code undervalued Joan Crawford performance & Walter Huston--sparks fly.

The Hurricane (1937)--John Ford directed disaster film.  Excellent performances by Mary Astor & Dorothy Lamour.  If you missed this in May, see it.

Key Largo (1948)--Bogie & Bacall & an excellent supporting cast stuck with a so-so script.  See it if you  have not already.

This morning (tomorrow morning?)  3:15 a.m.  You Were Never Lovelier (1942)--Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth, &  a Jerome Kern score.  Fred said in later life that Rita was his favorite dancing partner.

5:00 a.m. The Belle of New York (1952); One of three of Freds' musicals I haven't seen. (the other two are Let's Dance (1950) and Dancing Lady (1933)--the latter is just a bit part for Fred, Joan is the main star.

I'm recording (per usual) a lot of films:

June 1

A Lost Lady

Saratoga

The Long, Hot Summer

From the Terrace

Rachel, Rachel

June 2

The Belle of New York

June 4

The Affairs of Annabel*

A Face in the Crowd*

*I've seen both of these films, but don't have copies of them.  I love both so much I usually record almost each time they're on.

June 5

I'm the film noir class, so there's a lot to watch there.  Luckily, I own and have seen many of the films, so that'll save me some time and space on the DVR.

M

La Bete Humaine (I don't watch many foreign films, so this will be interesting)

The Letter

Stranger on the Third Floor

Johnny Eager

Woman on the Run

Born to Kill

LA Confidential (I've seen this movie a couple times, but want to re-watch)

June 6

The Big Heat

June 7

For the Defense

The Bitter Tea of General Yen

June 10

The Bride Walks Out

Don't Tell the Wife, if only because it has Lucille Ball

June 12 (Another noir day, fortunately, this one also features a lot of films I have/seen for my class)

Ministry of Fear

The Glass Key

Danger Signal

Detour

Deadline at Dawn

Johnny Angel

The Gangster

Gun Crazy

Tomorrow is Another Day

Nightmare Alley

Night Moves

June 13

Trog, this sounds amazing

June 15

Easy Living, another Lucille Ball movie

Heaven Can Wait

June 16

The Night of the Iguana

That's just for the first couple of weeks.  These + the rest of June + what's still on my DVR... I have no idea how I'm going to watch all these.  I wish I could take an entire summer off from work to watch these.  I'll post more of my picks for the rest of the month later.  I may need to be more selective in what I record--so many movies sound so good!

I think you'll like La Bete Humaine. I almost envy anyone who sees that for the first time. Ditto, Stranger on the 3rd Floor, a fascinating little noir (I think it's a noir) with an interesting dream sequence as I recall. The Letter is one of my all time faves. Look for a wonderful perf of the lawyer, an actor who is excellent but who died not long after making the movie, he might have had quite a good career. Of course the rest of the cast is is top-notch. Johnny Eager, the 'likeable rascal' with a punch (you'll see what I mean) and juicy, tour-de-force, role for Van Heflen, immensely satisfying. The Big Heat, The Bitter Tears of General Yen, and Nightmare Alley, if all these movies are first-timers for you, brace yourself for a great ride.

• Like 1

I think you'll like La Bete Humaine. I almost envy anyone who sees that for the first time. Ditto, Stranger on the 3rd Floor, a fascinating little noir (I think it's a noir) with an interesting dream sequence as I recall. The Letter is one of my all time faves. Look for a wonderful perf of the lawyer, an actor who is excellent but who died not long after making the movie, he might have had quite a good career. Of course the rest of the cast is is top-notch. Johnny Eager, the 'likeable rascal' with a punch (you'll see what I mean) and juicy, tour-de-force, role for Van Heflen, immensely satisfying. The Big Heat, The Bitter Tears of General Yen, and Nightmare Alley, if all these movies are first-timers for you, brace yourself for a great ride.

Thanks laffite! Just when I think I've seen a lot of movies, every month on TCM, there are a bunch more that I've never seen.  The schedule definitely doesn't wear thin with me.  Thanks for all the recommendations, all of these films will be first time viewings for me.

So far I'm only up through the 10th, because transferring the info to Word now takes a lot longer than it used to before mid-2011.  Of course if I didn't have nearly all of those Dark Friday noirs already, I would've recorded every one of them, but some like The Killers and The Glass Key are so great I always like to get a backup copy, or pair them with another movie.

1 Monday
8:00 PM Long Hot Summer, The (1958)
A drifter with a past brings a wealthy family's problems to a head.  Cast: Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Tony Franciosa.  Dir: Martin Ritt:   C-117 min.  (Power outage killed this one.)

12:15 AM From the Terrace (1960) A financial wizard is tempted to sacrifice his career for an affair.  Cast: Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Myrna Loy. Dir: Mark Robson.  C-149 min. 
4:45 AM Drowning Pool, The (1975) A private eye's investigation of an anonymous letter leads to murder. Cast: Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Tony Franciosa.  Dir: Stuart Rosenberg.  C-108 min. 

2 Tuesday
8:30 Squall, The (1929)
A gypsy beauty sets the men of a farming family to fighting over her favors.  Cast:  Loretta Young, Myrna Loy, Alice Joyce.  Dir: Alexander Korda.  BW-102 min.

3 Wednesday
2:00 AM Killers, The (1946) 
  An insurance investigator uncovers a string of crimes when he tries to find a murdered boxer's beneficiary. Cast: Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien. Dir: Robert Siodmak. BW-102 min.
4:00 AM Glass Key, The (1942)   A hired gun and his gangster boss fall out over a woman. Cast: Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Brian Donlevy. Dir: Stuart Heisler. BW-85 min. 

4 Thursday
8:00 PM Bulldog Drummond Escapes (1937)
Captain Drummond becomes a prisoner when he intents to protect a beautiful heiress of an espionage organization. Cast: Ray Milland, Sir Guy Standing, Heather Angel. Dir: James Hogan.  BW-67 min.
9:15 PM Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) A rock thrown through his window sets a gentleman adventurer on a search for enemy agents.  Cast:  John Lodge, Dorothy Mackaill, Victor Jory. Dir: Norman Lee.  BW-74 min.

10:45 PM Bulldog Drummond Comes Back (1937) An old enemy kidnaps Bulldog Drummond’s fiancée. Cast:  John Barrymore, John Howard, Louise Campbell.  Dir: Louis King. BW-59 min.
12:00 AM Bulldog Drummond's Revenge (1937) Captain Drummond travels to Switzerland in order to marry his girlfriend but the disappearance of a dangerous cargo of explosives makes him delay his plans. Cast: John Barrymore, John Howard, Louise Campbell. Dir: Louis King.  BW-55 min.
1:15 AM Bulldog Drummond's Peril (1938) Bulldog Drummond hunts down an assassin after a priceless diamond.  Cast: John Barrymore, John Howard, Louise Campbell. Dir: James Hogan.  BW-66 min.
5:00 AM Bulldog Drummond's Bride (1939) Bulldog Drummond postpones his wedding to track down a band of bank robbers.. Cast:  John Howard, Heather Angel, H. B. Warner. Dir: James Hogan BW-56 min.

5 Friday
8:00 AM La Bete Humaine (1938)
A railroad engineer enters an affair with his friend's amoral wife.  Cast: Jean Gabin,  Jacques Berlioz, Fernand Ledoux. Dir: Jean Renoir.  BW-97 min.

8:00 PM Nora Prentiss (1947)   An ambitious singer ruins a doctor's life. Cast: Ann Sheridan, Kent Smith, Bruce Bennett. Dir: Vincent Sherman. BW-112 min.
10:15 PM Woman On The Run (1950) A woman searches for her husband, who ran off after witnessing a mob hit. Cast: Ann Sheridan, Dennis O’Keefe, Robert Keith. Dir: Norman Foster.  BW-78 min.  (The only one in this entire series I don't already have.)

6 Saturday
10:00 AM Batman: Eight Steps Down (1943)
Episode 13 of the Batman serial. Cast: Lewis Wilson, Douglas Croft, J. Carroll Naish. Dir: Lambert Hillyer.  BW-14 min.  

7 Sunday
6:00 AM Runaway Bride, The (1930)
A criminal gang goes after the jewels their dying leader stashed in a woman's handbag. Cast:  Mary Astor, Lloyd Hughes, David Newell.  Dir: Donald Crisp.  BW-66 min.

4:00 AM Sanjuro (1962) A wandering samurai recruits younger fighters to help him battle corruption. Cast: Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai, Takashi Shimura.   Dir: Akiro Kurosawa.  BW-96 min.

8 Monday
8:00 PM Man Hunt (1941)
An Englishman goes behind enemy lines to assassinate Hitler. Cast: Walter Pidgeon, Joan Bennett, George Sanders.  Dir: Fritz Lang.  BW-102 min.

9 Tuesday

2:00 AM Mean Streets (1973) A small-time hood must choose from among love, friendship and the chance to rise within the mob.  Cast: Harvey Keitel, Robert De Niro, Richard Romanus. Dir: Martin Scorcese.  C-112 min.

10 Wednesday - nothing

These are 2 that I'm really looking forward to as well.

TROG is really silly, but fun to watch. A rather ignominous way for Joan Crawford to end her career.

NIGHTMARE ALLEY is an amazing, rather sordid noir, with outstanding performances.

Speedy, I'm quoting myself here because though I sense you are busy (with the challenges and the noir class) I hope someday you'll give us your take on those films mentioned which I gather are staying warm on the DVD. I would be interested in what you think of any of those, maybe you use your Just Watched thread, or here or where ever choose. Thanks.

Danged cable transmission screwed up for about 90 seconds in the middle of 'Going in Style'. So, deleted. I hope TCM shows it again - I suspect it will.

I did get 'Mean Streets' later that night - but my library has a copy that I'll record from, so the TCM recording is just until then.

Speedy, I'm quoting myself here because though I sense you are busy (with the challenges and the noir class) I hope someday you'll give us your take on those films mentioned which I gather are staying warm on the DVD. I would be interested in what you think of any of those, maybe you use your Just Watched thread, or here or where ever choose. Thanks.

I've watched The Letter.  That movie was excellent.  I loved the beginning of the film. The stillness of the night interrupted by Bette Davis' gunshots made a very arresting opening scene and really set the tone.  A great noir and one I'll have to add to my collection.  I love Bette Davis, she's one of my favorites.

I also watched The Stranger on the Third Floor, but I was kind of half paying attention--I may need to re-watch.  I found the concept of the film very interesting.  My only complaint is that there wasn't enough Peter Lorre.

I haven't watched Le Bete Humaine or any of the films that have aired today so far.  I missed recording The Bitter Tears of General Yen, I forgot to set the DVR :(

Right now, I'm watching LA Confidential

• Like 1

Here's more of what I'm planning on recording this month:

June 15

-Easy Living.  This film stars my fave, Lucille Ball, and also features Victor Mature and Lizabeth Scott.

-Heaven Can Wait

-The Story of Alexander Graham Bell

June 16

-The Night of the Iguana

June 17

-Skylark

-Trouble in Paradise

-The More the Merrier (I've seen this before, I just want to watch it again)

June 18

All the bug movies: The Fly, Mothra, Them!, The Wasp Woman, The Swarm, The Cosmic Monster

June 19

Film noir day!

-Cornered

-Crack-Up

-Nobody Lives Forever

-Nocturne

-Crossfire

-Hollow Triumph

-Border Incident

-The People Against O'Hara

-Get Carter

June 20

-Mean Streets

June 22

-Jeanne Eagles

-Too Much Too Soon (I've seen this before, but want to watch again for Errol, though in my opinion, the film isn't as good once Errol is out of the picture.)

-Frances

June 23

-I Confess (I've seen this too, want to rewatch)

-The Search

-Indiscretion of an American Wife

June 26

Noir day again!

-They Won't Believe Me

-The Woman on the Beach

-Out of the Past

-Possessed

-Act of Violence

-The Set-Up

-The Mask of Dimitrios

-Berlin Express

-Point Blank

June 27

-Judgment at Nuremburg

-Pandora and the Flying Dutchman

June 28

-Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

-Godzilla, King of the Monsters!

My DVR just keeps getting fuller and fuller.  Between my husband and I though, we have some 200+ recordings and are only at 32% full, so I've got many more recordings ahead of me.

Wow. What mode are you recording in?

I've been recording off the HD mode of TCM.  I think we have our channel guide set to show only the HD versions of the channels (if they're available), so I think that's what we've been recording.

About half of the recordings are movies and then the other half are a bunch of 30-minute cartoons and a few episodes of Game of Thrones that my husband recorded.