Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Online film noir course

I am.  I actually subscribed to these forums because it was suggested that I do so.  It looks really cool

Good for you. Welcome to the TCM message board community. 

We look forward to to reading your future posts! :)

• Like 1

I'm doing the course. I've never done an online course or been involved in any message boards. I'm hoping to learn lots not only about Film Noir, but also how these message boards work.

I am sure you will continue to get the hang of it. By the way, you all should be able to find plenty of good archived discussions in this sub-forum to use as a reference for your online course.

Welcome to the TCM message community!

• Like 1

I'm taking this course. I can't wait to learn more about a movie genre that I love to watch!

Welcome!

When you get the chance, I hope you are able to share some of the new things you are learning in the course. What a great opportunity...it's nice that TCM is partnering with the online university to do this.

• Like 1

I've joined that class.

Great. And welcome to the boards.

I am curious what some of you think are the best examples of film noir...of course, your opinions may change by the end of the course...

:)

• Like 1

Well, here I am participating & replying. I love film noir, am a recent fan of the Out of the Past podcast, which helped inspire/create this course, and I'm looking forward to going deeper into my investigations along with my fellow students and the lead investigators.

The real truth is: any excuse to watch films noir, both again and for the first time. I can never get enough! I just watched Hell Bound for the first time today. That is one tasty dark dish!

Know what I mean?

Here's to going into the shadows and coming out alive, even if bruised…

• Like 3

Is anyone who reads this sub-forum participating in the online course promoted by TCM? I think it starts today...

I am!

Turner Classic Movies - always doing awesome things!

So glad Time Warner has continued to keep this crown jewel of cable alive and thriving - it's the only general entertainment cable channel that has never deviated from its founding principles.

I look forward to immersing myself in all things film noir - I've only dabbled in the genre so far.

• Like 2

Well, here I am participating & replying. I love film noir, am a recent fan of the Out of the Past podcast, which helped inspire/create this course, and I'm looking forward to going deeper into my investigations along with my fellow students and the lead investigators.

The real truth is: any excuse to watch films noir, both again and for the first time. I can never get enough! I just watched Hell Bound for the first time today. That is one tasty dark dish!

Know what I mean?

Here's to going into the shadows and coming out alive, even if bruised…

Great post. And welcome!

OUT OF THE PAST is one of the best, isn't it? 

It's awesome that there are two months of Fridays devoted to this on TCM. And we're getting a big premiere next month-- TOO LATE FOR TEARS. I'm stoked!

I am!

Turner Classic Movies - always doing awesome things!

So glad Time Warner has continued to keep this crown jewel of cable alive and thriving - it's the only general entertainment cable channel that has never deviated from its founding principles.

I look forward to immersing myself in all things film noir - I've only dabbled in the genre so far.

Nice to see you posting. Welcome to the message boards, jason.

I think the way you describe TCM not deviating much from its founding principles is exactly right. 

I'v enrolled in the online course and I'm really looking forward to it. It's both my first online course, and my first time working with Message Boards (I don't like Twitter because I've always felt that anything that can be said in 140 characters probably isn't worth saying in the first place :) - as you'll all probably be able to tell from some of my responses - including this one!). I'm really looking forward to working with both.

After a lifetime of working, I've recently retired due to a disability, so I now have the time to learn about some of the things I've loved all my life, especially movies! I've been watching movies as far back as I can remember, which is about 50+ years, and have always loved them. My disability has made it impossible for me to do a lot of the things I used to love to do, but thank the powers that be that I can still watch movies!!

I've seen a few Firm Noir films in the past, and have always liked the genre, but I've never been able to dive into the topic as deeply as I've wanted to! But I'm really looking forward to not only get my feet wet, but my face, head and chest as well! ;)

The Maltese Falcon is #2 on my all time favorite films list (Casablanca being #1 even if it doesn't really fit the category - but I love a lot of genres, not just noir!), and I look forward to learning more about the film (if that's possible after so many viewings) and certainly discussing it.

post-49196-0-00837400-1433685615_thumb.jpg

But I'm also looking forward to getting exposure to many new films. I've already started taping a lot of the "Summer of Darkness" films from TCM and will be watching them as time permits (I did just watch "M" again last night) and just hope my DVR can keep up with me.

Anyway, I hope that qualifies as an introduction to myself and why I'm here. I'm looking forward to many discussions, and to make new on-line friends who are as interested as I am in the subject!

Joe

post-49196-0-00837400-1433685615_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'v enrolled in the online course and I'm really looking forward to it. It's both my first online course, and my first time working with Message Boards (I don't like Twitter because I've always felt that anything that can be said in 140 characters probably isn't worth saying in the first place :) - as you'll all probably be able to tell from some of my responses - including this one!). I'm really looking forward to working with both.

After a lifetime of working, I've recently retired due to a disability, so I now have the time to learn about some of the things I've loved all my life, especially movies! I've been watching movies as far back as I can remember, which is about 50+ years, and have always loved them. My disability has made it impossible for me to do a lot of the things I used to love to do, but thank the powers that be that I can still watch movies!!

I've seen a few Firm Noir films in the past, and have always liked the genre, but I've never been able to dive into the topic as deeply as I've wanted to! But I'm really looking forward to not only get my feet wet, but my face, head and chest as well! ;)

The Maltese Falcon is #2 on my all time favorite films list (Casablanca being #1 even if it doesn't really fit the category - but I love a lot of genres, not just noir!), and I look forward to learning more about the film (if that's possible after so many viewings) and certainly discussing it.

attachicon.gifTheMalteseFalconStatueOfTheFalconInLead01.jpg

But I'm also looking forward to getting exposure to many new films. I've already started taping a lot of the "Summer of Darkness" films from TCM and will be watching them as time permits (I did just watch "M" again last night) and just hope my DVR can keep up with me.

Anyway, I hope that qualifies as an introduction to myself and why I'm here. I'm looking forward to many discussions, and to make new on-line friends who are as interested as I am in the subject!

Joe

Thanks Joe for such a great post. I think you will get the hang of the message boards pretty quickly. I share your feelings about Twitter. 

Reading your post makes me understand how people from different walks of life (and different generations) find a film course worth the time, and how fans of noir encompass a wide spectrum of movie lovers.

Welcome..and please post again during the upcoming weeks to tell us about your progress in the online course.

:)

Lifelong noir fan, and I've just completed the David Lynch Masters in Film degree, and my thesis project is a TV pilot for a neo noir series, Newsraven. (Did someone say 'Blackbird')!

The trailer is online at https://www.indieboogie.com/films/146

While I'm editing the project this summer I feel the need a little side interest, and discovered the through the fabulous Joan Renner - who hosts the intriguing Deranged LA Crimes blog.

I decided that if I'm to develop a neo noir series additional immersion in the genre can only help perfect the storyline structures I develop, clarify the tropes I'm flipping and improve the genre nods I'm making.

Look forward to a summer of 'interactive' darkness with the online noir mob!

• Like 2