Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Brush with Greatness.

HelenBaby2

That's a pretty cool story about meeting the Cisco Kid back in the day, Tom.

And now on a related note, I used to go to Leo Carrillo State Beach ALL the time when I lived in L.A.! ;)

wt_pancho_cisco400.jpg

"HEY Pancho!"

-"HEY Cisco!"

• Like 2

Hey, I met Ben Mankiewicz ! Does that count?

He was in Toronto with that TCM travelling film feature event (forget what exactly it was called.)

I'd gone to Toronto specifically to attend this event, and to meet him. They were showing "The Last Picture Show" at the Bell Lightbox Theatre.

I really wanted to meet Ben. At the time, there was some Ben-bashing thread on the boards here (how unusual !), and, not that he needed it, I wanted to tell him I was a big fan.

There didn't seem to be much opportunity to meet him, though. Wasn't any "meet and greet" time before the scheduled event, or anything like that.

I took a seat next to the outside aisle in case Ben came walking that way. And then - he did ! It was just minutes before he was to take the stage along with the other speaker, to introduce the film. He was standing in a sort of alcove, away from the aisle seats. I can't even remember how I knew exactly he was there, but I think I was sort of lying in wait for him.

The ushers or security staff, or whoever they were (young girls by the look of it) kept trying to lead me away. I remember saying, "I just want to meet Ben Mankiewicz, dont' worry, I'm not some nutter or anything." 

Anyway, all of a sudden, there was the Mankman, along with a few assistants or something. I remember he was extremely gracious, we shook hands, he took a minute or two to talk to me, I even told him I was a regular poster on these boards ! He signed a "Now Playing" TCM guide for me.

Ben was very gracious and friendly, and I'm glad I went out of my way to meet him. My friend I attended the screening with was a little embarrassed, she thought I'd "made a fuss"  to meet him.

And I did ! But it was totally worth it. No one else there had made an effort to meet him, and no one else did. ( so far as I could tell.)

Oh, and the screening was really good. I'd forgotten what a good movie "The Last Picture Show " is.

ps: I realize I'm making a big deal out of meeting someone not nearly as famous and "Old Hollywood" as many stars mentioned here. But, hey, I'm afraid I haven't met any movie stars, so my encounter with Ben Mankiewicz was as good as it gets for my "brush with greatness".

• Like 7

This is a fantastic thread HelenBaby! I love reading about people's encounters with various celebrities (whether A list or Z list, doesn't matter to me, lol).  I especially find it fascinating to hear what they were doing at the time (Jeff Goldblum and George Peppard at the urinal? hilarious!).  I also like to hear that people were very nice (especially if it's someone that I like), it makes me like them even more.  I wish I could say that I've talked to anyone famous or had many brushes with anyone, but not really.  You don't get many opportunities in Oregon as you might in other places.  Though, Portland is now becoming the hot place to be, so maybe more stars will start visiting.  Lol.

Bear with me, my sightings are pretty sad compared to everyone else's (definitely not any brushes with "greatness"):

-I saw Stephen Baldwin at Barnes and Noble in Beaverton (a Portland suburb).

-Clyde Drexler (former Portland Trail Blazer) came to the same Barnes and Noble and to sign copies of his memoir.

-My husband and I went to a taping of Conan O'Brien's talk show in LA and saw Conan, Andy Ritcher, Will Arnett and Deepak Chopra.

-On the same trip as the Conan O'Brien show, we went on a tour of the Sony (formerly Columbia Studios) backlot and I saw Alex Trebek coming out of the Jeopardy studio.  He was wearing a Jeopardy sweatshirt and using crutches! I waved at him and he waved back!

-On the same trip as Conan and Sony, my husband and I went out to eat in a cafe connected to our hotel and we saw Johnny Knoxville (of the "Jackass" fame) pounding down can after can of Miller High Life.  We also saw Mick Mars of Motley Crue being propped up in the back area of the restaurant.

-Probably the most Z-list encounter (more Z-list than Stephen Baldwin), I saw the parents (separately) from TLC's "Little People, Big World" (they live in the Portland area) at the grocery store.  I saw the mom in the produce department at Safeway (known as Von's in some other areas of the country); and the dad at Trader Joe's.  This was right after his drunk driving fiasco and he was buying a case of "2-Buck Chuck." o.O

• Like 4

Hey, I met Ben Mankiewicz ! Does that count?

He was in Toronto with that TCM travelling film feature event (forget what exactly it was called.)

I'd gone to Toronto specifically to attend this event, and to meet him. They were showing "The Last Picture Show" at the Bell Lightbox Theatre.

I am envious misswonderly.   Where the heck was I that day??

One of our TCM friends posted the link to a recent Ben Mankiewicz radio interview a few months ago.  I'm sorry that I can't recall who is was now because I have been unsuccessful trying to find it again.

It was in two parts and at the time only part one was on the internet.  Ben was great in this interview and he has so much more going on than just TCM.

So, this is an appeal to that person to report the links to the radio interview with Ben for that really good interview.  I think you would enjoy it misswonderlytoo.

I remember meeting both Little Oscar and Engineer Bill when I was a kid.

A bunch of kids (myself included) had conned our parents to take us to some store grand opening where our 'heroes' would be appearing.

Engineer Bill was wearing his engineer dungarees and his railroad engineer hat. He had us all holding hands in one big circle, while he walked around the outside of the circle patting each of us on our heads.
A different time, I remember a bunch of us standing around waiting for Little Oscar to show up in his Weinie Mobile. When we saw it pull in the parking lot we all started screaming and yelling. Then little Oscar got out, wearing his big oversized white cook hat, and gave each of us a package of minnie franks. I remember thinking that he wasn't much taller than us kids, and we were 'little' kids at the time.

Had similar meetings with Sheriff John (of Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade), Clayton Moore (The Lone Ranger), Tom Hatten (used to host Popeye and draw cartoons), and Chuckles The Clown (NOT from the Mary Tyler Moore show, was a real kids TV show host in So Cal in the 1950's and a precurser to Bozo).

Later was even on the Bozo The Clown Show when it was all live broadcasts.

Even met The Three Stooges in person, but it was Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Joe Besser at the time (my favorite, Curly "Joe" Howard, had long since passed away).

That autographed picture of the Cisco Kid brought back memories.

I had one of those too, but I can't remember ever meeting him. I used to watch his show though, along with The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and the like, were all childhood staples for me.

My mom had a friend who was an actress at the time, her name was Carol Quinn.
She never made it big, but when she was a young h o t t i e she played bit parts.
She had a portfolio and used to show me photos of her with different actors and actresses that she either knew or had worked with. I remember one of her with Abbott and Costello.
She used to bring autographed pictures for me.

I remember her taking me to audition for Dennis the Menace.

I was called to come back along with Jay North. His mom was there and we played around until each of us was called in to interview again. I remember having to yell "Hello Mr. Wilson" a lot.
Carol told my mom that I might get the part as the producers had narrowed it down to either me or Jay, but for whatever reason my mom had second thoughts about the whole thing and refused to let it go any further.

I remember being disappointed at the time, especially when I used to watch the show and thought that could've been me on TV.

But who knows how it would have all turned out if I'd actually gotten the part. I may have been cornholed as "Dennis The Menace" for the rest of my life???
Still I suppose it would have paid much better than "Stephan the Menace."

When I was in High School I worked at a novelty shop in Manhattan Beach.
The owner was an old New Yorker, and she knew celebrities from as far back as the vaudeville days. She introduced me to Harold Peary (The Great Gildersleeve), and I had no idea who he was.

She asked him to "do the laugh," which he did, but it did nothing for me.

He just said, "Well, it was before his time."
Today when I see some of Peary's old films (on TCM, where else) I fondly remember the man I met long ago.

I was on the Manhattan Beach pier one summer when the cast of The Munsters showed up.

Well, not all of them, but I did see Al Lewis (Grandpa) and Butch Patrick (Eddie) there for some reason. Butch, was playing around the water.
It was getting late in the afternoon and I remember Al was wearing plaid shorts and a white T-shirt. His skin was very pale and his legs were skinny and white. He had this big cigar in his mouth and he looked out-of-place.
Being a fan of the show, I recognized him immediately and when our eyes met I said "You are..." and he shook his head yes. He had a kind-of tired and disgusted look on his face.

I then said "I bet you get tired of people asking you, huh?"

He nodded again, never saying a word. I decided to leave him alone and walk on.

Saw Chill Wills strolling big as life in LAX once. He was wearing cowboy boots and sporting a big, Texan cowboy hat, almost as if he'd just come off a movie set. Big man.

I worked with this kid who was going to film school. He was a real film fanatic, which at that time I kind-of found it hard to understand. In the days before VHS he had a relatively large collection of expensive 16mm films he'd collected for private showings.

He'd get these tickets or passes to Hollywood events and sometimes he'd ask me to go with him.

We'd watch these premiers and test audiance some yet to be released and many never to be released television shows.

Got to see a several celebrities like George Burns, Groucho Marx, Red Buttons, and many others while in his company.

My mom knew a Titanic survivor and we'd occassionally visit her.
She lived in a house in Hermosa Beach that her husband had built for her.

It had round windows like portholes and inside was filled with Titanic memorabilia. 
Her name was Edwina MacKenzie, but when on the ship her maiden name was Trout.
She was 27 years old when the Titanic sank and her memmories of the event were quite vivid.

She was a very friendly, talkative woman who remained lucid and active up to her death at 100. 

As far as "Greatness" goes, I suppose meeting Robert F. Kennedy would be one of my highs.
On May 16, 1968, he was campaigning for president in Southern California.
He was right next door to my high school in the TRW parking lot in Redondo Beach.
The Juniors and Seniors were let out early to go over there.
He was standing behind a podium talking about civil rights and U.S. apartheid, the Vietnam War, the U.S. and Arab - Israeli relationship, and answering tough questions on hot topics.
There were some people there with signs in relatively respectful silent opposition.
Each held a poster size piece of cardboard with a large letter. They were lined up so the letters read "STICK WITH NIXON." Later, some of those people dropped away so their message eventually became amusingly garbled.
We had our own hastily prepared sign as well. It read "Get A Hair Cut!"
It was meant in good fun because Bobby always had a habit of flicking his hair away from his forehead. He goodnaturedly acknowledged us and said in his Bobby Kennedy voice, that he'd just gotten a hair cut before he arrived, so we could put our sign down.

At that we all yelled in harmony "Sock It To Um Bobby!" (a cliche of the day)
Later he shook our hands.

I was young and questioning almost everything, but still idealistic enough to think at that time that he was a leader that I could believe in.
About three weeks later he was in the Ambassador Hotel. He'd just won the California primary.... 

When I lived in Alaska I met many mushers from the Iditorod and Yukon Quest sled dog races. Including the founder of the Iditorod Sled Dog Race, Joe Redington, and the first woman to win the race in 1985, Libby Riddles, and the woman who won the race again, again, and again, Susan Butcher.

While training sled dogs one winter I met Norman Vaughan, at the time the oldest Iditorod musher at the age of 80.
Norman had quite the gift of gab, and much history to gab about.
Norman was a life long adventurer. When he was 23 he dropped out of Harvard to become part of Admiral Byrd's historic Antarctic expedition (1928-1930). He became a sled dog handler and trainer for Byrd who named an Antarctic Mountain after him.

To hear Norman talk about the South Pole one would think he ran the entire expedition, but then there was no one left alive to refute his words.

Afterwards he competed in the 1932 Winter Olympics as a sprint musher.
During WW2 he commanded a Special Army Unit using sled dogs for search and rescue.

His teams played a heroic part ferrying supplies and wounded during the "Battle of the Bulge" when foul weather locked up the skies, and snow impeded all but the hardiest of ground travel.

Norman also served in Korea, and retired a Colonel.

From 1981-1992, he was part of an expedition to recover a squadron of P-38's and two B-17s buried in Greenland ice since 1942.

In his 80's Norman wooed, courted and married his fourth and last wife, Carolyn Muegge, who was an attractive woman less than half his age. 

In 1994, at 88, Norman returned to Antarctica and climbed Mt. Vaughan for the first time.

Norman promised his mother he wouldn't touch a drop of liquer until his 100th birthday.

True to his word, on the celebration of his century, he tasted alcohol for the first time. A few days later he passed away.
Norman Vaughn was quite an inspirational figure and I am privileged to have known him.

According to Norman's life and motto, I'm still a kid with many miles ahead of me yet to travel.

Regarding some others more in line with this thread...

As a young man I was on the Dating Game (no I wasn't picked) but I got to meet Jim Lange.

When I was a manager in a store in Marina Del Rey, California, in the late 1970's, I saw and "met" a number of "celebrities" that used to shop there.

Some of the folks who strolled in were Lou Ferrigno (a very gentle, soft spoken giant), Charles Nelson Reilly, Linda Hamilton (way before she did "Terminator" and "Beauty and The Beast"), and several others that I can't think of at this moment.
Aside from who they were, they were walking around and behaving pretty much like anyone else.

Several of the regulars from the Hollywood Squares used to shop there.
Paul Lynde, Morey Amsterdam, and the hilarious Jonathan Winters. He'd get this cherubic grin on his face when he saw us looking at him, and I'd start bustin' up without him saying or doing anything, just the anticipation of what he might say or do was enough, and he knew it. I think he got a kick out of it as much as we did.
Wally Cox rode a motorcycle and seemed to enjoy sharing stories. He once told a few of us that when he was living with Marlon Brando he didn't get along with Brando's pet raccoon "Russell," especially when using the bathroom. He'd be sitting there and Russell would open the door and come in to wash his food in the bathtub... Wally said he always found that "disconcerting."

John Davidson once asked me what was the best spaghetti to buy?

I just gave him the most expensive brand we had. Having not tried it myself, I told him that it was a "popular" brand....

One time one of the clerks excitedly came up to me and said that Bo Derek was in the store (this was right after "10" which explains his excitement). I asked "where?" And he said that she was at the meat department.

I casually strolled over to have a look and saw these two young girls talking to one of the butchers and looking at the various cuts.

I'll admit that one of them looked a lot like Bo, but they were both very short and casually dressed, so at the time I returned and said, "Awe, she just looks like Bo Derek."

But the clerk insisted she was really Bo Derek and pointed out that John was hanging out at the donut counter drinking coffee.

No mistaking him, so Yep. It was really her. I guess if she'd been sporting the braids I'd have recognized her right off.

We were open 24/7 and late one evening Linda Lovelace strolled in with an entourage.

She had this big motorhome in the parking lot with "Lovelace" painted on the side, so she wasn't trying to be discreet.

There were also several high-class call-girls who shopped there.

Some of the regulars were quite friendly and talkative, some even dropping a few names.   

There was a kid who used to work there who was trying to break into show business.

He was quite talented and used to entertain us with his impersonations.

He had an apartment at the Marina City Club. His rent at that time was about everything he

earned at the store. He rode a bicycle everywhere and invited some of us to see his apartment.

His bed was a mattress on the floor.

He had no furniture to speak of, some empty milk and soda crates for stools and tables.
I asked him why he wanted to live like that and he told me that it was for the address.

He said that there were two kinds of people who lived there... Those who had "made-it" (in the entertainment industry), and those who were seeking an opportunity to "make-it" by rubbing shoulders with the former.

I can't even remember his name now.
I wonder if he was ever able to "make-it?"

• Like 4

Stephan55-those are some great stories. Those of us who don't live in NYC or LA don't get much of a chance to meet celebrities or famous politicians. At least the places where I've lived.

I forgot about something that happened to me in 1983. I was visiting Las Vegas for the first time and decided to take a day trip to Boulder Dam. There were a lot of people there that day but I thought I saw the basketball player Julius Irving, Dr. J. That was back when he was still playing and was a favorite of mine. I was alone so I couldn't really confirm that it was him. When I was flying back home the guy in the next seat told me that he was in LV during that time so I miss an opportunity to meet him, but he was with his family so it was just as well that I didn't bother him.

Misswonderlytoo-I've met Ben several times now and he's a very nice man. He appears to be very grateful that he has this great job and seems to relish the opportunity to meet the fans. However he's very down to earth. I heard that podcast you were posting about and I love his enthusiasm about what he does.

• Like 1

:lol:

I'd like to thank Stephan for posting his autobiography, and wish it much success on the New York Times' "bestseller's" list!

Well written, and I hope he takes this reply in the "good natured" way it was intended.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I have had a few encounters with famous people...

While vacationing in Oahu in 1979, the hotel we were staying at, the Hyatt Regency at Turtle Bay, the hotel was playing host to a television movie cast. The movie was called something like Love Island, a take off of Fantasy Island. In 1980, we saw the movie on tv and it was retitled: Valentine Magic on Love Island

The film starred Adrienne Barbeau, Bill Daily, Howard Duff, and Bob Seagren. Since we were staying at the hotel while the cast was there as well, we kept bumping into Adrienne Barbeau. Once at breakfast, then at the pool, on the beach and at two filming locations. I actually got the nerve to walk up to her and ask her something. I was 19 at the time and did not feel nervous at all. She actually stood there for about ten minutes talking with me. Then Howard Duff walked over and asked her if I was bothering her. He seemed menacing to me. But he was just joking. I told him I fondly remembered him from Felony Squad. They all were very nice to the fans who either followed them or had interactions with them at the hotel.

At a Chicago Cubs game in the early 1980's, my friend and I met Harry Carey, Lou Boudreau and Vince Lloyd walking down the ramp from the broadcast booth after a Cubs game. They all stopped long enough to shake our hands and exchange some pleasantries. They then all signed our Cubs programs. Ahhh, those were the days.

In 1982 at a sci-fi convention held at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, I got the chance to meet my Star Trek hero, James Doohan who of course played Scotty, the chief engineer of the starship Enterprise. He was sitting at an autograph booth and my question to him was related to his World War II experiences especially since he had lost a finger and how did that go along with how during the series he tried to hide his hand during close ups when using his hands. He went on for several minutes and thanked me for asking such a great question.

In the mid 80's while I was leaving the American Academy of Art in downtown Chicago, I literally bumped into CBS Channel 2 Political Reporter Mike Flannery. I never knew he was so tall. I am 6'3" but he stood 2" taller than me. It was not until he turned and walked away that I saw that he was wearing cowboy boots!

• Like 3

I have had a few encounters with famous people...

While vacationing in Oahu in 1979, the hotel we were staying at, the Hyatt Regency at Turtle Bay, the hotel was playing host to a television movie cast. The movie was called something like Love Island, a take off of Fantasy Island. In 1980, we saw the movie on tv and it was retitled: Valentine Magic on Love Island

The film starred Adrienne Barbeau, Bill Daily, Howard Duff, and Bob Seagren. Since we were staying at the hotel while the cast was there as well, we kept bumping into Adrienne Barbeau. Once at breakfast, then at the pool, on the beach and at two filming locations. I actually got the nerve to walk up to her and ask her something. I was 19 at the time and did not feel nervous at all. She actually stood there for about ten minutes talking with me. Then Howard Duff walked over and asked her if I was bothering her. He seemed menacing to me. But he was just joking. I told him I fondly remembered him from Felony Squad. They all were very nice to the fans who either followed them or had interactions with them at the hotel.

At a Chicago Cubs game in the early 1980's, my friend and I met Harry Carey, Lou Boudreau and Vince Lloyd walking down the ramp from the broadcast booth after a Cubs game. They all stopped long enough to shake our hands and exchange some pleasantries. They then all signed our Cubs programs. Ahhh, those were the days.

In 1982 at a sci-fi convention held at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, I got the chance to meet my Star Trek hero, James Doohan who of course played Scotty, the chief engineer of the starship Enterprise. He was sitting at an autograph booth and my question to him was related to his World War II experiences especially since he had lost a finger and how did that go along with how during the series he tried to hide his hand during close ups when using his hands. He went on for several minutes and thanked me for asking such a great question.

In the mid 80's while I was leaving the American Academy of Art in downtown Chicago, I literally bumped into CBS Channel 2 Political Reporter Mike Flannery. I never knew he was so tall. I am 6'3" but he stood 2" taller than me. It was not until he turned and walked away that I saw that he was wearing cowboy boots!

I'm sorry. Running into a local TV reporter is not a brush with greatness. My apologies to Fred C. Dobbs.

Stephan, as a fellow L.A. South Bay boy and of the same "vintage" as you, just wanna say here that I loved reading your remembrances of that time and place, and the famous you encountered during that time.

So, you were on the "Dating Game" too, eh?! Yep, so was I back in 1971, but in my case the "the lovely bachelorette" DID pick me and we were sent to "beautiful" Ensenada Mexico. Woo-WEE!!!

In 1980 I was a contestant on another game/quiz show Jim Lange hosted...the syndicated Barry-Enright produced "Bullseye", and which was somewhat patterned after their successful "Tic-Tac-Dough".  Won $10Grand on that one, and then immediately went out and blew it all on a new motorcycle, a used water-ski boat and a new stereo system.

(...well anyway, thanks again for this walk down SoCal memory lane)

• Like 4

Stephan, as a fellow L.A. South Bay boy and of the same "vintage" as you, just wanna say here that I loved reading your remembrances of that time and place, and the famous you encountered during that time.

So, you were on the "Dating Game" too, eh?! Yep, so was I back in 1971, but in my case the "the lovely bachelorette" DID pick me and we were sent to "beautiful" Ensenada Mexico. Woo-WEE!!!

In 1980 I was a contestant on another game/quiz show Jim Lange hosted...the syndicated Barry-Enright produced "Bullseye", and which was somewhat patterned after their successful "Tic-Tac-Dough".  Won $10Grand on that one, and then immediately went out and blew it all on a new motorcycle, a used water-ski boat and a new stereo system.

(...well anyway, thanks again for this walk down SoCal memory lane)

.You apparently left nothing of the $10k for when the IRS came calling............I wonder whether any viewers noticed that they kept seeing you over and over again on different game shows. Was there a "Dargo fan club"?.

I met Lucille Ball on a beach in Del Mar. I was only a teenager, someone mentioned that she was sunbathing just close to the boardwalk. So this buddy and I went over and found her. We said hello somewhat timorously and she looked up and said hello. Very short conversation, she was very nice. At one point I said, "Where's Ricky?" She laughed and said, "Oh, you mean Desi." "Oh yeah," I said and executed a totally over-the-top, exaggerated head slap like how-could-I-have been-so-dumb but she just laughed. The thrill of recognition was hampered by her hair being all tied up weirdly and sunglasses that hid her eyes. I don't doubt that it was her though. She was still doing I Love Lucy at the time. She was really nice and smiled freely, there was no sense that she felt intruded upon.

A few years ago I lost track of my shopping cart in Whole Foods. Someone was pushing it away so I went to retrieve. The culprit was John Lithgow. I recognized him immediately although he didn't really project strongly. I might not have recognized him had it not been that I knew he was doing Dirty, Rotten Scoundrels at a local theater. Besides I had seen him at a restaurant some days before. We chatted for just the briefest time. I was struggling to think of something to say. The only movie I could remember having seen was Garp and but I didn't remember much. So I told him that he really was good as Don Quixote, a movie that was not a success, I think. I lied because I hadn't seen it all. But there is a germ in truth in what I said because I had seen the trailer and honestly did feel that he cut quite the fine figure as DonQ. I wanted to say something nice. He thanked me, smiled, and was cordial.

Bill Walton, basketball superstar, frequented a restaurant where I worked over a period of weeks and we had brief little confabs. He was always accompanied by a petite and pretty Asian lady, very nice person. I bitched about how the game has changed blah blah blah. He gave me a little folio that he had made up to give to fans. He lives here and can be seen riding a bicycle around the neighborhood.

/

• Like 6

.You apparently left nothing of the $10k for when the IRS came calling............I wonder whether any viewers noticed that they kept seeing you over and over again on different game shows. Was there a "Dargo fan club"?.

LOL

Nope, only my Mom and Dad and sister and whoever my girlfriend at the time was would have been members of such a club. I'm sure.

However, you're wise to pick up on that whole "IRS came calling" thing, and because of being relatively young and dumb at the time, I failed to take into account the idea that the Tax Man would be holding out HIS little hand when I did my next year's 1040 Form.

(...in other words, I ended up having to take out a loan for about $4,000 in order to pay the taxes for my increased "earnings" from that quiz show during the previous year...well, live and learn, eh?!) ;)

• Like 1

LOL

Nope, only my Mom and Dad and sister and whoever my girlfriend at the time was would have been members of such a club. I'm sure.

However, you're wise to pick up on that whole "IRS came calling" thing, and because of being relatively young and dumb at the time, I failed to take into account the idea that the Tax Man would be holding out HIS little hand when I did my next year's 1040 Form.

(...in other words, I ended up having to take out a loan for about $4,000 in order to pay the taxes for my increased "earnings" from that quiz show during the previous year...well, live and learn, eh?!) ;)

There must be an IRS agent somewhere whose sole job is to watch all the game shows, and write down the names of all the winners and amounts won.

I've got quite a few, but I'm not going to do all of them at once.

I worked for a famous jewelry designer from the time I was 15 to 20 they were summer jobs. My sister ran his showroom so she was privy to work with practically everyone in the '60's and early 70's who were famous since they would come to the showroom all the time. One night, Truman Capote and Jackie Kennedy came in . I was working late, my sister introduced me to Jackie and Capote. Many years later after I left NY, my mom and I went into the city, she had a drs. appointment. While my mom was at the drs. I was window shopping and started to walk back to the drs. Jackie was passing me on the street. she nodded to me and said I know you, you're Edie's sister!!!! I almost fainted she remembered! My sister and I looked alot alike. I was speechless and nodded back and smiled. I guess with all the people she had to remember when she was First Lady she must have learned some sort of memory trick with faces.

• Like 6

Well, I know this falls more into the category of a brush with the notorious than anything else. About 20 years ago (as a guess) I spotted someone walking out of a rather rundown Toronto bar and instantly recognized her, watching her cross the street into a variety store before returning to the bar once again.

I couldn't place the name at first and wanted that second look at her. I then placed the name: Cathy Evelyn Smith (of John Belushi infamy). And, no, if you're wondering, I did not enter the bar to try to strike up a conversation with the lady.

Also in the "brush" category. A colleague and I were in Manhattan in November, 1982 for a management class. On a break, we went into Henri Bendel's.  I was at the register buying a few post cards (one of the few items I could afford in that store). I noticed the cashier staring wide-eyed past me and I turned around to see Bill Murray (quite tall) and Robert De Niro. It took me a few seconds to recognize De Niro as his hair was grey and he looked older than he should have.  It wasn't until I saw Once Upon a Time in America, a couple of years later that I realized he must have been in make-up shooting the scenes of his character 'Noodles' as an older man.

• Like 4

There must be an IRS agent somewhere whose sole job is to watch all the game shows, and write down the names of all the winners and amounts won.

Actually, the producers of the game/quiz shows are required to submit the names and the amount of winnings of each contestant to the IRS.

(...and just as is any employer)

I've got quite a few, but I'm not going to do all of them at once.

I worked for a famous jewelry designer from the time I was 15 to 20 they were summer jobs. My sister ran his showroom so she was privy to work with practically everyone in the '60's and early 70's who were famous since they would come to the showroom all the time. One night, Truman Capote and Jackie Kennedy came in . I was working late, my sister introduced me to Jackie and Capote. Many years later after I left NY, my mom and I went into the city, she had a drs. appointment. While my mom was at the drs. I was window shopping and started to walk back to the drs. Jackie was passing me on the street. she nodded to me and said I know you, you're Edie's sister!!!! I almost fainted she remembered! My sister and I looked alot alike. I was speechless and nodded back and smiled. I guess with all the people she had to remember when she was First Lady she must have learned some sort of memory trick with faces.

WOW. I hadnt known you'd met Jackie O. I'm impressed!!

Thanks Hibi, I'll never forget any of these memories I have of meeting celebs, but that one is one of the stand-outs.

Thanks Dargo for LIKING the post ;)

You're welcome, lavender.

However, as you may have noticed, I'm really enjoying and liking just about everyone's well-written walks down memory lane here in Helen's wonderful thread.

(...and yours of course was no exception) ;)

When I had three book shops in the Washington area, I had a fair number of "name" customers, but the only time I literally "brushed" with a household name was when I almost knocked over Barry Goldwater in the late 70's when I was jogging on a crowded sidewalk on Connecticut Avenue. 

But in terms of movie associations, other than Larry McMurtry, who also had a book shop around the corner from mine, the closest I came to Hollywood was when the man who later got hold of a nuclear warhead and destroyed civilization* came in one time and bought a few books---though strangely, none of them were from my military section.

* At least that's what Woody Allen was told in Sleeper

• Like 3