Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone like "BERKELEY SQUARE"?

FredCDobbs

I thought it was great! :)

I second that.    I really enjoy this movie and Howard gives a great performance.   

I third that :)

Every time I watch it, I always feel and wish there were just a little more to it.

It is, however, just the right size  :)

• Like 1

I second that.    I really enjoy this movie and Howard gives a great performance.   

"Howard" who?

By the way, I liked the movie, too. Its plot about time travel got me interested in it upon my discovering it through this site shortly before watching it for the very first time through Turner Classic Movies last February (I enjoyed it more through their most recent broadcast of it last Thursday, May 28th, though. I guess its timeslot and my understanding of its plot and characters helped me enjoy it more that time).

Does anyone know if there actually is a Berkeley Square in London?

There was a British philosopher/mathematician, George Berkeley, also known as Bishop Berkeley, who was a contemporary of Isaac Newton (and criticized Newton's calculus). UC Berkeley is named after the bishop. The bishop's last name was pronounced "Barkley," but the university 'americanized' it.

Does anyone know if there actually is a Berkeley Square in London?

There was a British philosopher/mathematician, George Berkeley, also known as Bishop Berkeley, who was a contemporary of Isaac Newton (and criticized Newton's calculus). UC Berkeley is named after the bishop. The bishop's last name was pronounced "Barkley," but the university 'americanized' it.

Yes. Winston Churchill lived there, and Charles Rolls (Rolls-Royce) was born there.

I like the movie and Howard is very good in it.

What I think sets BERKLEY SQUARE apart from other time travel movies is its lack of whimsy and levity. Numerous characters in the 1800's scenes have a very natural reaction to Howard's uncanny knowledge and abilities as a result of his (unknown to them) time travelling: and that reaction is fear, and I think that's how many of us would react in real life.

It's a unique approach to the subject and, while I was expecting something a bit more lighthearted, I understood and appreciated the way the filmmakers approached the matter.

• Like 2

It's a unique approach to the subject and, while I was expecting something a bit more lighthearted, I understood and appreciated the way the filmmakers approached the matter.

I thought the ending was very sad, with Howard so depressed without his true love, with the knowledge that she died young without ever marrying, and with the grim thought that he might not ever meet her in "heaven", and the tough decision looming over him about whether he sould continue to live, or take a chance and die so he could maybe reunite with her.

Also, by deciding to go back into the future, to 1933, HE wound up being the one who killed her in the 18th Century.

I thought the ending was very sad, with Howard so depressed without his true love, with the knowledge that she died young without ever marrying, and with the grim thought that he might not ever meet her in "heaven", and the tough decision looming over him about whether he sould continue to live, or take a chance and die so he could maybe reunite with her.

Also, by deciding to go back into the future, to 1933, HE wound up being the one who killed her in the 18th Century.

That's why I liked the book Time And Again better. He stayed with her. 

And nobody doesn't cry at the end of Somewhere In Time. Reeve was so beautful.

That's why I liked the book Time And Again better. He stayed with her. 

And nobody doesn't cry at the end of Somewhere In Time. Reeve was so beautful.

The first few times I watched Somewhere in Time, I kept visualizing Clark Kent - got over it though.

I really like that movie, and the ending caught me by surprise - a nice touch.

Recently I found a copy of this film, which I had recorded a few summers ago. Usually I do not record the wraparounds but this time, I managed to get the closing remarks by Osborne. It was when Leslie Howard was Star of the Month in 2012. Osborne said this film was a premiere and explained how for many years it had gone unseen.

But I'm happy to report since Howard was SOTM three years ago, BERKELEY SQUARE has aired several more times on TCM.

The remake, though, starring Ann Blyth & Tyrone Power, which Osborne also mentioned during his comments, has not aired on TCM (to my knowledge). The remake is called I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU, and it has the added bonus of having the scenes that take place in the past being filmed in Technicolor.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: poor Leslie Howard.

He was a very good actor- not limited in talent, but limited in the types of parts he could play- and it's a damn shame that he is often maligned because his most popular film- (GWTW, duh) was an ageless blockbuster wherein he is woefully miscast. Too old for the part (43, and wearing a wig and more rouge than Miss Piggy) and so obviously British (um, what part of Georgia you from, Ashley?), he comes off as an utterly weak milksop- good in some senses because one can see how the determined, headstrong Scarlett would be attracted to him (she wants a man she can squash like a bug)...but overall, the weak link of the film (and that's not to say he doesn't have good moments, but he can't surmount the epic miscasting.)

With that one misfire, he eclipses superlative work in PYGMALION (his best performance), THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (a good runner-up) and BERKELY SQUARE.

Recently I found a copy of this film, which I had recorded a few summers ago. Usually I do not record the wraparounds but this time, I managed to get the closing remarks by Osborne. It was when Leslie Howard was Star of the Month in 2012. Osborne said this film was a premiere and explained how for many years it had gone unseen.

But I'm happy to report since Howard was SOTM three years ago, BERKELEY SQUARE has aired several more times on TCM.

The remake, though, starring Ann Blyth & Tyrone Power, which Osborne also mentioned during his comments, has not aired on TCM (to my knowledge). The remake is called I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU, and it has the added bonus of having the scenes that take place in the past being filmed in Technicolor.

Blech. Tyrone makes my teeth itch.

TikiSoo, Benchley is brilliant. I wonder if he was appreciated then as much as he is now. 

Thanks for some opinions...I wanted to know whether this one was worth watching.

PS There is a BENCHLEY SQUARE in Worcester Mass, named for Robert Benchley who was from there.

He translated well from literary humor to film. I always enjoy seeing his shorts (don't go there!)

as well as his dramatic appearances in film.

• Like 1

He translated well from literary humor to film. I always enjoy seeing his shorts (don't go there!)

as well as his dramatic appearances in film.

Oh, but I will....

To be completely honest, I've seen many (all?) of his shorts, including the one that (I think) won the Oscar and didn't find one single moment funny*. HOWEVER, he was a very good (and funny) actor and I enjoy him in CHINA SEAS, I MARRIED A WITCH!, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR and others.

*- they're not bad, mind you, they're just not funny. ALTHOUGH I will take Robert Benchley over PETE SMITH'S WONDERFUL WORLD OF SMARM any day.

Oh, but I will....

To be completely honest, I've seen many (all?) of his shorts, including the one that (I think) won the Oscar and didn't find one single moment funny*. HOWEVER, he was a very good (and funny) actor and I enjoy him in CHINA SEAS, I MARRIED A WITCH!, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR and others.

*- they're not bad, mind you, they're just not funny. ALTHOUGH I will take Robert Benchley over PETE SMITH'S WONDERFUL WORLD OF SMARM any day.

LOL!  I don't find them to be funny, either. I do enjoy them, but sometimes they get a bit whiny and frustrating.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: poor Leslie Howard.

He was a very good actor- not limited in talent, but limited in the types of parts he could play- and it's a damn shame that he is often maligned because his most popular film- (GWTW, duh) was an ageless blockbuster wherein he is woefully miscast. Too old for the part (43, and wearing a wig and more rouge than Miss Piggy) and so obviously British (um, what part of Georgia you from, Ashley?), he comes off as an utterly weak milksop- good in some senses because one can see how the determined, headstrong Scarlett would be attracted to him (she wants a man she can squash like a bug)...but overall, the weak link of the film (and that's not to say he doesn't have good moments, but he can't surmount the epic miscasting.)

With that one misfire, he eclipses superlative work in PYGMALION (his best performance), THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL (a good runner-up) and BERKELY SQUARE.

It is a shame if studio-era movie lovers are so influenced by ageless blockbusters that their main impression of Leslie Howard is GWTW.     I still don't know why Selznick was so insistent in wanting Howard for the role of Ashley.   

As for Howard,  I also love the 3 movies he made with Bette Davis (each very different),   Intermezzo with Ingrid Bergman (the film that introduced her to the USA and was Selznick's 'gift' to Howard for playing Ashley),   as well as his early 30s films,  some with the unique actress Ann Harding. 

It is a shame if studio-era movie lovers are so influenced by ageless blockbusters that their main impression of Leslie Howard is GWTW.     I still don't know why Selznick was so insistent in wanting Howard for the role of Ashley.   

As for Howard,  I also love the 3 movies he made with Bette Davis (each very different),   Intermezzo with Ingrid Bergman (the film that introduced her to the USA and was Selznick's 'gift' to Howard for playing Ashley),   as well as his early 30s films,  some with the unique actress Ann Harding. 

INTERMEZZO is my favorite Howard film, closely followed by PYGMALION. Some of the British films he directed are quite good too. I seldom think of him in terms of WIND WITH THE GONE-- or whatever that movie is called. LOL :)

I think I recall reading somewhere the studio wanted Leslie Howard because of his current popularity in film. Leslie was peaking with the public, so his presence in any film would produce more box office draw. He could have been offed in the first ten minutes.. as long as his name was on the marquee (or poster).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings