Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

star bios

tracey65k

Is it just me, or are the final chapters of most star bios totally depressing? You're reading along, enjoying the life and legends of your favorite star or director and suddenly, you hit the last few chapters and things just go downhill. They're old, past their prime, suffering from various ailments, forgotten by the public, their friends are all dying off...I realize that this is what happens to all humans (excpet those who die in their prime)but geez! I don't want to know that Marlene Dietrich didn't get out of bed for 10 years and chopped off her hair and slept on nasty soiled sheets because she wouldn't let anyone change them. Or that Tallulah Bankhead had to have oxygen almost constantly towards the end (though I cracked up when I read that she would take a drag on her cigarette followed by a whiff of oxygen) I'm glad Cary Grant and Bette Davis went down swinging...

And the great Kate Hepburn, of whom I've just seen a Documentary narrated by herself, which is included in the double DVD edition of "The Philadelphia Story", is also an exception; she had a great life and was loved by all of us until her death. She was such a great and strong human being! So much energy going on!

If you can find them David Niven's "The Moon's A Balloon"

and "Bring On The Empty Horses" are quite good. The first talks about his childhood up through his early movie career. The second is a collection of memories mainly about actors and others in Hollywood. Very witty and enjoyable.