Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archer

Will the movies be available On Demand or on the Watch TCM app?

With so many posts to check (3,400 and counting), it's taken me a moment to get around to this topic. 

As I have learned, there are difference in the On Demand features of TCM depending on your cable provider. There is nothing we can do about that. 

But I do want to mention that I designed this course to work with options for watching public domain films. There are over 60 films in the public domain. There are two excellent places online to watch public domain films noir:

1. The Internet Archive

2. Open Culture

Now, in most cases, these are not the same films as in TCM's Summer of Darkness film festival (though a few titles are common to both the public domain and the TCM fest such as Detour, The Stranger, Kansas City Confidential, Too Late for Tears)

Each week in the Into the Darkness Course I highlight a public domain film students without TCM should be watching:

1. Week 1: Scarlet Street

2. Week 2: Detour

Each week's new public domain film choice will be highlighted in my Summer of Darkness Viewing Guide in each module in Canvas. 

And based on comments I've been reading, if you are trying to get a hold of films that are in TCM's Summer of Darkness lineup, there are a few additional options (though most of them require their own subscriptions and/or costs): 

1. Check your public library for DVDs you can check out

2. Some of the films are on Netflix

3. Some of the films are on Amazon Prime

4. Some of the films can be rented for online streaming at iTunes 

Hope this helps.

Best, Rich

• Like 1

Well I am hoping so because I just lost everything I recorded on my DVR. Luckily I had basically finished all my Noirs from last Friday but It's touch and go what will happen this Friday.

Comcast basically told me there is a national bug and it's like Russian Roulette whether you will lose your recordings.

So even having a DVR is not a guarantee.