Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stranger on the Third Floor

Hello there,

I haven't seen this movie yet, too. Will it be somewhere available to watch it for free, like at Internet Archive? Unfortunately, I don't receive TCM. Thank you very much in advance for your kind reply!

Hiya Bogart,

I have seen this movie before and found it to be a classic film noir and the unnerving traits it contains.
Unfortunately I don't know where you would be able to watch it for free, if you wanted to you could check some torrent sites but I personally would prefer to buy it on DVD (if it's available).

I watched it on TV years ago at some stupid hour on the morning.

All the best!

Peace out 

Hey guys!

I was able to track down a copy of this hidden gem about a year ago when I discovered it even existed. But as for online viewing for free, it doesn't look like we're gonna have any luck. I am excited to see it again this Friday however, as it's a pretty fun and eerie movie that really manages to slip through the cracks of noir's timeline. It's also gonna be great to see Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook, Jr. from The Maltese Falcon pop up in memorable parts here - clearly they meant to hop on the noir train regardless of which film started it.

I'm looking forward to hear what you all think of it come Friday. Until then, have a good one!

• Like 1

Hey guys!

I was able to track down a copy of this hidden gem about a year ago when I discovered it even existed. But as for online viewing for free, it doesn't look like we're gonna have any luck. I am excited to see it again this Friday however, as it's a pretty fun and eerie movie that really manages to slip through the cracks of noir's timeline. It's also gonna be great to see Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook, Jr. from The Maltese Falcon pop up in memorable parts here - clearly they meant to hop on the noir train regardless of which film started it.

I'm looking forward to hear what you all think of it come Friday. Until then, have a good one!

I really enjoyed watching this film.  Had it come out later, instead of being the first noir, it could have been taken as a parody of noir.  Starting out and ending so light and bubbly, (with Mike, Jane and Joe (Elisha Cook, Jr.) at the end), then throwing in all the aspects of noir, the up and down shots in the courtroom dream scene.  The shadows both in dream but also beginning in the reporters room, the chair's shadow, almost like the electric chair would be shown.  Then the voice overs and the narration.

The one thing the film lacked enough of was Lorrie, but what a death scene:

"Yes...but I'm not going back".

Just saw it and for the Summer of Darkness course well worth seeing.  The expressive and stylish flashback/nightmare scenes are well executed.  Certainly raises a point about the meaning of evidence vis a vis conviction.

Thanks - Mark

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings