Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

just got my new computer a couple of months ago with windows 8.1 and now windows 10 be coming out on july 29th. should I upgrade? everybody with windows 8.1 has that cute little icon in their taskbar for a free upgrade.

what would all them dell pre-install guys want? :D

My daughter, a computer tech, when I asked a similar question, said "Only if you think you REALLY need it!"

For instance, one of her computers still has  XP, and it STILL fits all her needs!  :)

Sepiatone

just got my new computer a couple of months ago with windows 8.1 and now windows 10 be coming out on july 29th. should I upgrade? everybody with windows 8.1 has that cute little icon in their taskbar for a free upgrade.

what would all them dell pre-install guys want? :D

Similar situation here. My needs are being met quite nicely with MY (relatively) new 8.1 tower.

I'm sniffing about looking for answers - mainly: will 10 be as "buggy" as 8.0 when IT was released... I do not want to go that route.

I'm willing to go for it IF there aren't a lot of bugs along for the ride.

Windows 10 will not come with Windows Media Center. It will not include a Windows DVD Player either, but a substitute (DVD Player) is supposed to be included with the OEM upgrade.

We've got 1 year to reserve our FREE upgrades should we decide to do it.

... 10-4.... you're supposed to say 10-4.. when you're finished.

Finished what?

When you've finished talking.

But I haven't finished talking.

[grabs mic] .. 10-4 OVER AND OUT!

My daughter, a computer tech, when I asked a similar question, said "Only if you think you REALLY need it!"

For instance, one of her computers still has  XP, and it STILL fits all her needs!  :)

Sepiatone

maybe I will pass on it for now...but then later on it might not be free. I'll guess I'll wait.

What's supposed to happen..

When you do the free upgrade, Windows 10 will replace 8.1 - I know that's sounds obvious, but there's more to it. Win 10 will not delete (overwrite) 8.1 from your system, just puts it in your Windows.old folder. You will be able to uninstall 10 and re-install your 8.1 from that folder - if you wish, at a later date, for whatever reason.

What I'm trying to find out now is, will that put Win 10 into that same Windows.old folder (in 8.1's place), making IT available for re-install should you change your mind... again.. or will it delete (overwrite) 10 and require you to re-upgrade or purchase to get 10 back.

I believe re-installing (either) from the Windows.old folder is going to require the command line interface.

I'm so confused..

:P

Here's the Windows 10 FAQ page - Click HERE