Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the problem with today's movies...

NipkowDisc

is that they reflect the dumbing down (especially morality-wise) of the contemporary western world. just go to IMDb and look at the upcoming film titles. you have to be a narcissistic smartphone-wielding millennial to even know what the films might even be about.

san andreas is the top box office grosser right now and it's nothing but cgi.

:mellow:

At first, I thought you were complaining about the movies TCM was showing today!

But, your complaint about modern movies and recent releqases is something we've bellyached a lot ablut here a lot.  You'll find many in agreement, although I don't think ALL of modern day releases are all that "stink-o".  But sadly, they do get more of the attention.

Sepiatone

is that they reflect the dumbing down (especially morality-wise) of the contemporary western world. just go to IMDb and look at the upcoming film titles. you have to be a narcissistic smartphone-wielding millennial to even know what the films might even be about.

All kidding aside, that's got to be one of your most astute assessments, my friend.

I mean, where is today's Hot Spell?

Reminds me of that movie,

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)

We are the last of the film classicists who know the value of the past classic films, in a modern world gone mad: modern electronic cars that break down easily and leave us stranded or kill us when their air bags explode as we drive, GPS systems in our portable phones that follow us every place we go and feeds the information to the NSA and other government agencies; murder and robbery on every street corner, live anthrax being Fed Exed all over the country.

Writers don't seem to have an imagination, more remakes/reboots.  To be released, "Jurassic World" which is no more than a reboot of "Jurassic Park"

Even though a little dull, "Interstellar" (2014) do have a unique plot, especially Cooper being trapped in the 5th dimension,  give the writers credit for that one. Like the idea,  just because a planet has water, doesn't mean it will have life.

I'm loving the "Texas Rising" mini series on the History Channel. :)

Too many of today's movies are poorly lit or seem if shot in the dark and there is a washed out pale pastel look. Gone is the bright brilliance of technicolor we knew from the 50s.

I'm pretty sure this is because CGI effects are easier to get away with in duller, over-saturated visuals.