Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Key Largo alternate ending.

more bullets for Rocco. :D

Hah, I love that movie and had to watch this clip 3 or 4 times... very funny.

Wonder if it really was a Warner Bros. edit made for laughs, or just a phoney.

Funny regardless. :lol:

I assume it was done just for laughs after the fact due to the comment Bogie made about the film and how in so many other films E.G. Robinson is always gunning him down and it wasn't until Key Largo, when Bogie was now one of the top stars that Bogie got to shoot down Eddie.  

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out the bathing scene with Rocco in this one, lol.

Now Rocco needed a robe!    (but hey,  that view of Rocco in the tub with the fan is cool and ugly at the same time!)

Probably made to be shown at a studio party, like the blooper reels.  Too out of character I think for actual use.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
On 6/3/2015 at 1:36 AM, Stephan55 said:

Cute.  Here's what happens after that ending to Key Largo.

The Florida State police and FBI reward Frank McCloud by presenting him with all of Johnny Rocco’s money plus a generous bounty.  Frank uses some of it to bury John and Tom Osceola.  He sends Gaye Dawn enough for a new start in life.

Rocco, Curly, Angel, and Toots are buried near Hotel Central, Milwaukee.

Ralphie’s body is found in the mangroves by the Cuban boat skipper, who dutifully sails for Havana and regards his debt to Rocco settled.

Sheriff Ben Wade retires, moves to Miami, and establishes the “John and Tom Osceola Scholarship” for Florida Seminoles.   Gaye Dawn quits drinking and follows Ben to Miami where they are seen together at the racetrack.

Frank asks Nora Temple to marry him.

Frank, Nora, and Mr. Temple close the hotel and cruise to Italy to visit that grave where George Temple is buried.  As Frank stands nearby, he confesses that it was he who was on the hill—he was the actual hero.  Frank and Nora marry in Salerno.

When they return home, Frank installs air conditioning, an elevator, and reopens Hotel Largo.  He buys two new cabin cruisers to expand the hotel’s sport-fishing business.

Mr. Temple erects a monument to Deputy Sheriff Sawyer, which reads in part, “He died ‘fighting to cleanse the world of ancient evils—ancient ills.’”

The town of Key Largo constructs the “Frank McCloud Seawall” to prevent waves from damaging Hotel Largo ever again.

Mr. Temple records a Transfer on Death deed so that Frank and Nora will inherit Hotel Largo.  They all vow never to serve pompano or champagne.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A better alternate ending would have had Bogie die as a result of taking-one-for-the-team.     This would have been a very "noir" ending since the Bogie character escaped harm doing combat in the war (i.e.  he didn't have a desk job),  something that the gangster pointed out and mocked him for (live war hero, hey,  like what Trump said about McCain).       

This being a Bogie \ Bacall film we all knew it Jack Warner wasn't going to allow such an ending especially after the box office failure of Treasures of the Sierra Madre, released the same year (1948).    

So we get that sappy ending with Bacall looking out into the sea,  Bogie coming HOME to her,  the light shinning into the window and that over loud music.     (sappy yes,   but it still gets me every time!).

12 hours ago, Usta_Lub_Dubya said:

Cute.  Here's what happens after that ending to Key Largo.

The Florida State police and FBI reward Frank McCloud by presenting him with all of Johnny Rocco’s money plus a generous bounty.  Frank uses some of it to bury John and Tom Osceola.  He sends Gaye Dawn enough for a new start in life.

Rocco, Curly, Angel, and Toots are buried near Hotel Central, Milwaukee.

Ralphie’s body is found in the mangroves by the Cuban boat skipper, who dutifully sails for Havana and regards his debt to Rocco settled.

Sheriff Ben Wade retires, moves to Miami, and establishes the “John and Tom Osceola Scholarship” for Florida Seminoles.   Gaye Dawn quits drinking and follows Ben to Miami where they are seen together at the racetrack.

Frank asks Nora Temple to marry him.

Frank, Nora, and Mr. Temple close the hotel and cruise to Italy to visit that grave where George Temple is buried.  As Frank stands nearby, he confesses that it was he who was on the hill—he was the actual hero.  Frank and Nora marry in Salerno.

When they return home, Frank installs air conditioning, an elevator, and reopens Hotel Largo.  He buys two new cabin cruisers to expand the hotel’s sport-fishing business.

Mr. Temple erects a monument to Deputy Sheriff Sawyer, which reads in part, “He died ‘fighting to cleanse the world of ancient evils—ancient ills.’”

The town of Key Largo constructs the “Frank McCloud Seawall” to prevent waves from damaging Hotel Largo ever again.

Mr. Temple records a Transfer on Death deed so that Frank and Nora will inherit Hotel Largo.  They all vow never to serve pompano or champagne.

You forgot the final one here, newbie:

Old Man Temple now long dead and buried, Frank and Nora sell their hotel to the Marriott chain in 1966.

End of story, and end of Frank and Nora having to put up with overly demanding snowbird New Yorkers.

(...btw...welcome to the boards)