Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If you think this is wacky, check out Summer of Darkness: Investigating Film Noir

Just since yesterday morning (June 1) there have been 40 threads started over there - the majority are about the same movie! I don't see how anyone can keep up.  Me?  I'll tough it out and slog my way through here for now.

As someone who is taking the class, I can speak about the issue of all the multiple threads:

The first task was to watch a clip of the beginning of M and then discuss.  The teacher left the instructions pretty open ended, but offered two jumping off points: discussing the dialogue in the film and the elements that are introduced in M that are important to the noir style.  The teacher posted a thread for this task, with these questions.  Unfortunately, I don't think people completely understand what they're supposed to be doing, and instead of having a discussion within the thread that the teacher posted, they're posting their thoughts in separate threads.  A majority figured out to post within the teacher's thread, but many did not.  There also isn't much discussion going on as people are just posting their thoughts and moving on. 

I think they will need to do some tweaking to the assignment or thread so that there aren't a million threads by the end. 

I, for one, do not have time to sit and read 300+ posts about the same movie.  I just posted my .02 (within the teacher's original post, of course, and moved on). 

• Like 4

As someone who is taking the class, I can speak about the issue of all the multiple threads:

The first task was to watch a clip of the beginning of M and then discuss.  The teacher left the instructions pretty open ended, but offered two jumping off points: discussing the dialogue in the film and the elements that are introduced in M that are important to the noir style.  The teacher posted a thread for this task, with these questions.  Unfortunately, I don't think people completely understand what they're supposed to be doing, and instead of having a discussion within the thread that the teacher posted, they're posting their thoughts in separate threads.  A majority figured out to post within the teacher's thread, but many did not.  There also isn't much discussion going on as people are just posting their thoughts and moving on. 

I think they will need to do some tweaking to the assignment or thread so that there aren't a million threads by the end. 

I, for one, do not have time to sit and read 300+ posts about the same movie.  I just posted my .02 (within the teacher's original post, of course, and moved on). 

Yes, that is what I noticed..some did not understand they were supposed to answer using one main thread. I am sure that as they go on, they will get the hang of it.

For some, an online course is probably a very new experience.

What I think is wonderful is the way most seem so eager to discuss film noir. What great passion they have-- it restores my faith in classic film still being able to reach today's audiences.

This is one of the best things TCM has ever done, if you ask me. :)

BIG THUMBS UP.

• Like 2

I posted in the thread on the first day but Ive found it is easier to post my thoughts and follow other thoughts on Twitter.

People have also been posting blog posts there when they have more to say then Twitter allows.

Yes, that is what I noticed..some did not understand they were supposed to answer using one main thread. I am sure that as they go on, they will get the hang of it.

For some, an online course is probably a very new experience.

What I think is wonderful is the way most seem so eager to discuss film noir. What great passion they have-- it restores my faith in classic film still being able to reach today's audiences.

This is one of the best things TCM has ever done, if you ask me. :)

BIG THUMBS UP.

This is one of the best things TCM has ever done

Couldn't agree more.

A station that can do this should be able to do anything.

• Like 1

This is one of the best things TCM has ever done

Couldn't agree more.

You're right-- they should be able to do it all. Including getting their hands on more Universal, Paramount and Republic films. Yes?

Yes! 

One of those is my Charlie Chan, right?

I believe the Charlie Chans were originally done at Fox by their B-film unit. Then, the rights were bought by low-rent Monogram, when Fox dropped its option. The Monogram catalogue is part of the TCM Library (but you'd never know it because they seldom show Monogram pictures on TCM). So anyway, the later Chans should be airing, but I think the ethnic portrayals in these films disturb some (not all) modern audiences. So TCM might be a bit reluctant to put them into heavy rotation.

The MR. MOTO series, also made by Fox, suffers the same fate.

I believe the Charlie Chans were originally done at Fox by their B-film unit. Then, the rights were bought by low-rent Monogram, when Fox dropped its option. The Monogram catalogue is part of the TCM Library (but you'd never know it because they seldom show Monogram pictures on TCM). So anyway, the later Chans should be airing, but I think the ethnic portrayals in these films disturb some (not all) modern audiences. So TCM might be a bit reluctant to put them into heavy rotation.

The MR. MOTO series, also made by Fox, suffers the same fate.

Oh heck, I didn't know that.

So PC trumps cinematic history. 

Shame.

Oh heck, I didn't know that.

So PC trumps cinematic history. 

Shame.

Well, TCM does show a public-domain copy of one of the MOTO films. And probably, they have aired an occasional CHAN movie, but it is very rare. 

"This is one of the best things TCM has ever done"

Couldn't agree more.

I love this class (I've taken two online classes before - such fun!).  I'm already thinking of other topics or genres that TCM could maybe find someone to do a course on. Horror / thriller movies, for sure, and maybe westerns?  

I love this class (I've taken two online classes before - such fun!).  I'm already thinking of other topics or genres that TCM could maybe find someone to do a course on. Horror / thriller movies, for sure, and maybe westerns?  

Right-- they could easily do this with other genres. I'd love one on musicals. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

By the way, welcome to the TCM boards, essgee! :)

• Like 1

Although this is my first on-line film course I am enjoying the clips.  I think the idea of other genres such as horror is a popular topic, especially through the decades starting with Nosferatu and the Golem.

Although this is my first on-line film course I am enjoying the clips.  I think the idea of other genres such as horror is a popular topic, especially through the decades starting with Nosferatu and the Golem.

Welcome, isisis! There is a sub-forum for each of the different genre areas and you may find discussions about some of your favorite films there. Look forward to seeing you post more!

It appears I'm not up to it, but it is really well constructed. A LOT of work must have gone into the course.

I think you should make a suggestion about extending the course to other genre.

Just since yesterday morning (June 1) there have been 40 threads started over there - the majority are about the same movie! I don't see how anyone can keep up.  Me?  I'll tough it out and slog my way through here for now.

Hmm.... a lot of new people.

See this:

https://www.canvas.net/browse/bsu/tcm/courses/film-noir

It appears I'm not up to it, but it is really well constructed. A LOT of work must have gone into the course.

I think you should make a suggestion about extending the course to other genre.

In a way, it's too bad they didn't think of doing this a year or two ago-- it would have been perfect to have a course on screwball comedies, and on the recent roadshow musicals.

• Like 1

Apparently people are all over the place, though.

They're not concentrating on the course instructor's thread............or something like that.

Well, it's a start.

Yeah, there are bound to be a few hiccups in the beginning.

I love their eagerness. Their enthusiasm for these films is just inspiring the you-know-what out of me! 

I'm impressed and enjoying many of the comments they're posting.

speedracer - looks like they listened to you and others who made suggestions to improve things.  Today, there are only 23 threads - six of those are pinned to the top of the thread.  The replies must have been consolidated into relevant threads. 

I get a kick out of the Daily Dose threads - Daily Dose #1, Daily Dose #2, Daily Dose #3 - one for each day.  But, for a while - there was an Over Dose of the Daily Dose.  There were several Daily Dose #1, Daily Dose #2, etc threads.  (You had to be there).

It is interesting to see it evolve.

speedracer - looks like they listened to you and others who made suggestions to improve things.  Today, there are only 23 threads - six of those are pinned to the top of the thread.  The replies must have been consolidated into relevant threads. 

I get a kick out of the Daily Dose threads - Daily Dose #1, Daily Dose #2, Daily Dose #3 - one for each day.  But, for a while - there was an Over Dose of the Daily Dose.  There were several Daily Dose #1, Daily Dose #2, etc threads.  (You had to be there).

It is interesting to see it evolve.

That's funny-- an overdose of the daily dose! Cute. I think the idea of pinning those threads is a very smart one. It will help everyone stay focused and find things right at the top of the page.

I know this isn't the place to be talking about these noirs, if I wanted to yap so much I should be at the course boards. But I can't follow the films well enough to speak intelligently about them. On that, I would like to sit in a noir class with real people and a real teacher and have the teach stop the film every few minutes to explain it.

Okay, maybe just on the Maltese Falcon, that is. And Big Sleep, of course. But MF was a little more clear today, although it surely is dizzying, at least for me.

I heard a few more rapid fire comments this time, like crippled newsie and Dinghus as it referred to the statue. The Dinghus just sold for $1.2 mil, did it not?

Bogey was stellar in the film, though. And those head shots when everyone was looking at Wilmer (supposed to be some love interest between Wilmer and the Fat Man?), man those would look good framed on one wall.

I still love Lee Patrick the best, she's outstanding.

Not sure why, but this movie brought to mind Dark Passage, another crackerjack film. 

Oh, and Journey into Fear with Welles' cadre of pals disappointed again. I like Joseph Cotten, but him leaving the gun in the room was too stupid to live.

Okay, enough.

*Wowza, Dark Passage is on after Women on the Run. Now where did I leave those Clockwork Orange eye propper openers? :)